ad: elecraft

COMMENT POSTINGS RAMP UP AS FILING DEADLINE NEARS

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Oct 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W0UZR

W0UZR Ham Member QRZ Page

and I forgot, DON'T memorize the dots and dashes that illistrate the code form the book. And then when you hear the code, then have to think of the dots and dashes on the paper in order to recognize the letter. BIG mistake !! That really slows you down.

ONLY recognize the letter from the sound.

2. kd4mxe

kd4mxe QRZ Member QRZ Page

kb0uzr -sir you are Right ,I started 30min to 1hour 3times a day , I went almost Blank it did not look like I was doing any thing , so someone told me to cut it down to 30 min a day , and it did get Better , what I know about it you are Right , even tho you are a little late for me thanks and you are Right on there so thats what I do now , I have a tape and I go to 40m and try to copy some on there , I can copy it some now faster than I can wright it down 73 thank for the info,73 Bill

3. W0UZR

Then you are almost ready to just recognize the sound of the whole word. Because when your speed goes up, (maybe after a long "Plateau") you won't be able to write down all the letters. And that's where you copy the "Sound" of the whole word.

The people that copy 30 and 40 words per minute doesn't copy much of anything down on paper. They can hear whole words and sentences in their head like you and me talking.

4. KF8RM

KF8RM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I see a lot of folks that are glad to see CW shoved out the back door, and I'd bet that a lot of those folks want it because they are too lazy to try CW or learn it. Oh well, its their loss too ! 10-4 GUD BUDDY !

5. W5PJW

W5PJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Leave The Code as is...enough already!

W5PJW

6. N0KLU

N0KLU Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] I agree!

Drop the code requirement...enough already!
    [​IMG]

7. W0UZR

Didn't anything I've been saying sink in at all?

8. N0KLU

Code will be with us for a very long time, eliminating the code requirement will NOT eliminate the use! those who enjoy code will continue to enjoy it and with my blessings. It will behoove those individuals to stop condemning those who do not do code and try a different method of getting the CW ranks enlarged. I personally don't care for code and am happy to be where my license allows me to be without it. Should someday the FCC act as they have stated and drop the requirement I will be glad to extend my capabilities, if not I will remain where I am. The no-code folks didn't start this war it was those who know-code who made the original petitions to drop the code. I got into the service/hobby after it already was in progress. SSTV/packet/PSK/ are not "required" to upgrade they are "ONLY" a mode... just like CW.
    If you need CW go for it. For me I regularly use packet and SSTV, do you? maybe some but not regularly. Do you use CW regularly... of course otherwise you wouldn't argue about it, it is "near and dear" to your heart. Do I use CW.. Yep with my computer, do I use it regularly? No. What would i use in am emergency? probably my 2m HT or my 2m/70cm mobile rig. even my 6m would be  for communicating to the adjacent towns. The argument that CW get out when all else fails, I will not argue, it probably does. However until we enter into a nuclear exchange, SSB/AM/FM voice will get through just fine, besides how far away are you needing to get info out, on the other side of the world or just into the adjacent or nearby States?

Let that sink in to you.

9. kd4mxe

noklu -well mike did you tell them you was useing a computor to send code, I will bet you they did not know the difference , did you get any qsl cards well at lease you made them happy , 73 good luck, Bill [​IMG]

10. N0KLU

well actually they did, three of us were on 2m FM but it was fun, my computer went as fast as they liked to receive (45-wpm) and it deciphered it at about 95-98% quite readable, some extraneous characters but I could follow quite well. I was using an older Macintosh computer

( you know the ones that can interface with "Alien" computers as shown on "Independence Day") he he. Mac's can communicate with anyone! ha ha!

11. W0UZR

yah, but mostly I want to keep the code because every half hearted CBer will be able to memorize the answers and pass the test, and pollute the bands. But they're not going to discipline themselves enough to learn the code.

I don't want to hear "HI---TENNN FEUOR" on 40 meters !!

12. N0KLU

I fully understand your fears, however even if a few do come in, (I don't think they will even try to memorize the exams) as we have some already (and they are know-code/freebander pirates) as that be heard on some of the low bands. I don't think there will be a flood of them coming in.
    Many like me have been in the technical aspect of communications but don't care for the code. (The code to me is reminiscent to fingernails on chalkboard).
    I would encourage you to check out my web site for free downloadable references that I have used for many years In the military as well as newer references. Pass on the link to others that need the theory behind Radio.

n0klu's refererence repository

13. AA7QA

AA7QA Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope we keep at least some of the cw requirements. I have a GROL. I passed the test to proove that I could. I will never use it on a job. I think it would be dangerous for me to work on a 2 megawatt hf transmitter.
    The point is no multi-guess test readies an operator for the "radio art" like hands on.
    CW is hands on.
    Mike aa7qa

14. kd4mxe

n0klu-well Mike most of the c B,er I know around here are well Pleased where they are , they have what they want,and I know some of them that are good People to just as good as a lot of Hams are ,and you talk about a test and they go the other waythey will stay where they are , I know 2 hams that are on cB Right now one is a 13wpm and a 5wpm , 73 good luck Bill

15. K4JF

K4JF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Make up your mind, already!!  :eek:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.