ad: AbAuRe-1

Columbus OH hamfest

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports & Videos' started by N8VD, Aug 6, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N8VD

N8VD Ham Member QRZ Page

About the usual number of outside vendors but at least a third of the inside tables were empty. Weather was nice.

There was loud music playing almost the whole time, by the club's people on inside and outside loudspeakers! I heard many people complaining about it, and I complained several times at the club tables about it, but it fell on deaf ears. I think they were half-scared to even mention the problem to the Alladin Shriners Audio Unit, who put on the show, and who ought to have known better anyway.

Inside the building, sometimes it was hard to hold a normal conversation. At some point, I think someone was making a presentation or something, and the music was turned off, and it stayed off for a while, and I thought, "This is nice, a hamfest on a sunny day, nice breeze..." and then then loud music returned. I think they must have spent the last year working up a playlist of the worst music to play.

In years past, the offending noise was the food vendor with a horribly noisy generator, but at least they had the generator moved further away with an extension cord this time, and it wasn't intrusive.

K8DV likes this.
  2. K8DV

K8DV Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with all that N8VD said above and yes the music would have been super annoying being right across from the speakers. The one thing that was really disappointing and not sure if this happened to everyone or not but at the gate when I got there they made me buy two table spaces in the fleamarket, one to park the car and one to setup in, NO WHERE on any of their information did that say that was the rule, almost makes me think that someone was looking for a easy way to pocket 10 bucks. Although I had a pretty decent sales day so I guess that makes up for it somewhat but seems like a good way to turn away possible fleamarket venders in the future, I may be one of them. The one big positive was the weather, not sure you could have asked for a better hamfest day weather wise.