ad: portazero-1

Clear Frequencies Requested Following St. Vincent Volcanic Eruption

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5ARM, Apr 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

No the money goes to the old farts in CT. No wonder that many are looking for manna from the devil though.

2. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Getting my big bowl of popcorn out for this one.... until the "comments are no longer allowed" on this thread shows up.

KL7KN, W6SAE, AK5B and 1 other person like this.
  3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Keep working on that comedy routine. Whacko Conspiracy and fantasy are difficult.

WG7X and W6SAE like this.
  4. VE3VXO

VE3VXO Guest

Calm down, it's nothing P***tical.

5. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Doesn't have to be. Seems to be a trend more and more. Got a question or thought about the new swapmeet rules? Sure won't make them known here. I'm sure a day is coming soon when all comments will be turned off. That will be next I have a feeling. Until then I'm enjoying the popcorn. Mmmmmmmm extra butter is good.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2021
    N2NOW likes this.
  6. VE3VXO

VE3VXO Guest

Well maybe you have a point there.... wow, real butter? Must be nice.

7. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't need the "bigger picture" explained to me at all. In fact, as indicated, the "bigger picture" is that cellular, commercial and government communications in the area are working--in which case there is no objective need for amateur radio involvement and certainly no need to restrict amateur frequencies for some mythical "emergency" My involvement in amateur radio "emcomm" spans decades. It ceased when the ARRL began to misrepresent emcomm and capitalize on it as a recruitment tool and for other commercial interests.

K9UR, ND6M, WG7X and 6 others like this.
  8. VE3VXO

VE3VXO Guest

Apparently you don't live on the island eh?

W0FS, N2UHC, KA0HCP and 1 other person like this.
  9. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

real butter. The body processes it better than the imitation gee I can't believe it's almost plastic stuff. :D

10. VE3VXO

VE3VXO Guest

Oh I know, it's just that if I had any real butter around, my dogs would fight me for it. They leave me alone if I just eat dry melbatoast.

K9GLS likes this.
  11. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Working for how long? Do you have a crystal ball? I just don't understand that it seems everyone else in the community can play in their part of the bands like digital, cw etc. but contesters seem to think they have some exclusive right to park themselves anywhere they want.

Just to add we have a CME incoming this weekend. Not a big one but what happens when a big one does? This planet has been hit with massive solar storms, magnetic reversals etc. Yet you think we are safe? That's a realm for fools and always has been.
    It's quite possible that in our lifetimes we could see the lights go out. So the ham with qrp and a battery might be the one thing we have then. Contesting won't be on anybody's list then.

W0FS, KR3DX and WD4DXQ like this.
  12. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh it's not that bad. Sure honesty, truthfulness and facts are taboo, but fabricated fiction gets the VIP pass.

KR3DX likes this.
  13. K9GB

K9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Respect any request for a clear frequency(ies) to aid emergency communications. The responding stations may be close to the affected area, and propagation may not favor your location. Even 20-meters can be useful on groundwave if that is the common band in the area that everyone has available.

W0FS likes this.
  14. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Long live CONTESTING!

N8ZI, N2NOW and N3FAA like this.
  15. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We are quick to chastise people for using these frequencies, but did anybody actually wonder how the hell anybody is supposed to know about keeping those frequencies clear?

Nowhere near the majority of the ham community visits QRZ or ARRL on any regular basis, and those are the only places I have seen anything posted about it. Heck, even on the ARRL website, it's a tiny little blurb like all the other tiny news blurbs, halfway down the page.

K9GLS, KK9W, N2NOW and 2 others like this.