ad: ProAudio-1

China's lunar orbiter captures Earth's images during solar eclipse

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AG4YX, Jul 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Its probably cheaper now to go to the moon than to stage it!

;)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    KC8VWM likes this.
  2. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

what tool did you use to achieve this?

Nice pic!

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Deconvolution : proprietary stuff I had written for me several years back. Plug in for photoshop.

Color management stuff is pretty standard.

Thanks for the compliment:)

KA2CZU likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

5. WS4E

WS4E Ham Member QRZ Page

Need to put a repeater on it, and insert it into lunar orbit. :)

WQ4G likes this.
  6. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, there is a repeater on board! It's very difficult to use and only one QSO has been achieved through it. See https://twitter.com/bg2bhc/status/1145610337342971904

LO-94 will decay in a few weeks, but AMSAT, along with our ARISS partners, is planning to bring amateur radio to lunar orbit on Gateway. And, yes, that includes two-way capabilities.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  7. W6UXB

W6UXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes Sir and very proud of it!

8. KA9Q

KA9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Think about the geometry. The picture was taken right next to the (round) object casting that (round) shadow, so we're looking directly down-sun. The earth could be a randomly creased piece of paper and the projection of the moon's shadow on it would still be circular (the shape of the moon), as we see it from the moon.

K7EBR and AG6QR like this.
  9. KA9Q

KA9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

That appears to be AS17-134-20463, taken during Apollo 17. Apollo 11 took two very similar pictures that are among my personal favorites because they, like this one, show the LM's steerable antenna pointing at the earth.

Apollo 11 happened when I was 12 years old. Not only was I amazed that humans were on the moon for the first time, I was also amazed that we could see and talk with them in real time by radio using surprisingly small antennas (on the spacecraft side) over what seemed like an unfathomably large distance. It's one of the things that got me interested in ham radio, then a career in electrical engineering doing communications R&D...

WQ4G, K8AI, KO5V and 1 other person like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Great times, great memories:)

Yep. That 17:)

11. KD2INZ

KD2INZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you see stars in the daytime?

12. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been... and thinking about it some more.

It's like how they paint the word STOP on the road in really tall letters viewed from directly above, but when viewing from a distance it LOOKS 'normal'.

The shadow IS oblong, but LOOKS like it's not.

13. K6MFW

K6MFW Ham Member QRZ Page

Or maybe Universal too cheap to paint stars? Or someone misunderstood the work-order for "stars," thought those were the people that portray main characters, so scheduling so many SAG-certified actors, transportation, food and lodging will break the budget? yeow, I couldn't resist. I love the comment by K4DL that daytime sky is also fake because don't see any stars.

Getting back on topic, I'd like to see some rovers examine the Apollo sites as I wonder how solar winds/radiation affected materials (obviously this will turn into a major dispute of disturbing "US sovereign sites"). Or a rover to look at S-IVB stage impact sites.

WQ4G likes this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am all for 'disturbing sovereign sites' if that establishes that the USA owns the Moon!

:)

WQ4G, KD9FEK and AD5HR like this.
  15. KA9Q

KA9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

You're thinking way too hard. :)

Seriously, it's much simpler than that. The moon is round, and so is its shadow. As seen from the moon, its shadow on a target will therefore also appear round no matter what shape that target may be or what orientation it may have. It could be a flat plate at some random angle. It could even have a totally irregular shape. As long as it's big enough to intercept the entire shadow, that shadow as seen from the moon would still look round. (I am assuming that the target is small compared to its distance from the moon. The earth's diameter is only about 3% of the earth-moon distance, so that's true.)

Sure, if you were in low earth orbit looking directly down at the center of the moon's shadow, then it would not appear round. But then you're looking at it from a totally different angle.