ad: elecraft

Chameleon Antenna: MPAS 2.0 Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5ATA, Jan 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

...Or we work, know the value of down time, enjoy hobbies, and have the skill set to make what we want -- and save our money for travel, family, etc... And have the ability to detect BS and puffery in advertising and marketing.

WD4ELG and N3EDO like this.
  2. M5FRA

M5FRA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have always built my own antennas and tuners whether I had 'time on my hands' or not. That's what ham radio used to be about, learning about how things work, the self teaching bit. I guess we have a lost most of that now which is a real shame.

WN1MB and 2E0HVK like this.
  3. KI4UYA

KI4UYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Very technical indeed. Janky is another very technical phrase. Citizen Band is alive.

WN1MB likes this.
  4. N3QAM

N3QAM Ham Member QRZ Page

The difference here is its a clean setup, and packs up nicely. It doesnt look like a hodge podge ball of cluster eff

5. K7LZR

K7LZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham radio is still about that too. I've been at it for 43 years and I both build and buy antennas when needed. If a commercial antenna is priced well and fits my needs, I will buy. If I have the time and materials, I will build.

When I buy, I try to carefully pick whom I will buy from. For example, I'd much rather buy from and help support a single individual or small family business than to send money to a cold, large operation such as MFJ unless I have no other choice.

Yes, we all should understand how our antennas work. But nothing wrong with buying vs. building because it helps to support some folks, and there are often very good quality products to be had that way at reasonable prices......

N1IA likes this.
  6. KG5UN

KG5UN Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not build your own?
    Well some people don't have the tools.
    Some people don't have the workspace.
    Some people don't have the skills or know how.

I am glad companies like this are getting people on the air.

N1IA and WD4ELG like this.
  7. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice video, Steve. I have one of these myself that I want to setup soon, so I will review your video before doing so.

8. WD4CNO

WD4CNO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Give the guy a break - if you can make a better video then where is it?

As a retired electrical engineer, I have the skills and the knowledge but sometimes the product works so well and is so convenient
    that it's not worth the time and trouble re-inventing the wheel. I purchased the large Hybrid coil that can handle 800 watts,
    purchased the SS jawmount and both the Mil and Mil 2.o antenna sections. It's the perfect solution for an all-band antenna on my
    motorhome. I leave the clamp/hybrid coil connected to my ladder with the coax attached. I use the 30' metal gutter on the MH side
    as the counterpoise and all I need to do is install the two mast sections onto the hybrid coil each time I park the motorhome for easy
    operation. Each mast section collapses into small and manageable lengths that make it easy to store when not in use.
    It has no issues with handling the power from my IC-7300 and can easily handle all the power that a KPA-500 can provide if needed.
    For me, it's the perfect solution for an all band motorhome antenna. I never need to worry about looking for a tree to use as a support
    nor do I need to set up a pole with guys to support the end of a wire. Because it's an elevated vertical antenna, it works great for DX and
    I was able easily obtain WAS and DXCC using FT8 with this antenna and the IC-7300.

Sure you can kludge something together for less money but it probably won't perform as well or be as convenient to use as this product.
    I've been using mine for over three years and it's met or exceeded all of my expectations.

9. K6SRV

K6SRV Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Im thinking of upgrading to this from my WRC for POTA/Mobile operation. I own a Chameleon center fed dipole and the quality of their products is second to none. The fact that they use reinforced antenna wire (there is a thread inside the wire sheath) that allows you to get your antenna taught and allows you to confidently tug the antenna over branches and brush with no damage or deformation of the wire is a huge advantage I never even considered when I purchased their antenna. The MPAS 2.0 price is steep, but so is all the time it would take me to "DIY"... To those who claim "just build it yourself" keep in mind some of us work for a living hahahaha I figure I will have ample time to make my own antennas when I retire 46 yrs from now hahahaha

N1IA likes this.
  10. AE0IT

AE0IT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The MPAS 2.0 is a quality built antenna and it performs well for portable ops. Like others have posted, I don’t have the time, nor the desire, to build a shade-tree quality antenna. If you think the price is too steep for a new MPAS 2.0, then watch for pre-owned kits for sale on QRZ. I bought my kit with extras for a darn good price and it was only used a few times, so it was basically still like new.