ad: cq2k-1

Challenges Facing the Icom SHF Project

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Jun 8, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom Japan have been working on a concept of a new radio looking to revitalize the use of the SHF (Super High Frequency) bands. Recently a concept model was shown off at Dayton Hamvention. But is it really going to be a viable product for the Ham Radio market?

ON8EI, KF4IRE, RA4CLU and 11 others like this.
  2. K4XJ

K4XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

2.4 GHz and 5.2 Ghz is where alot of routers freqs are.

KD2ANN, N5QXP and KT5OT like this.
  3. K7FR

K7FR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Working DX would be your neighbor down the street unless you have a dish. o_O

K8NY, KD2TUD, K8CGS and 4 others like this.
  4. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

The three major challenges for this are: Price, price, and price.

N5QXP, G3SEA, K4NXS and 6 others like this.
  5. N3ABJ

N3ABJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Why? Honest to goodness there is NO activity on 440 in my area. Yes! I'd like to see it utilized but I doubt it will ever happen.

G1TZC, KF4ZRI, K8CGS and 2 others like this.
  6. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

amateur allocations are outside of the 2.4 and 5.8 GHz bands for wifi... Mostly. But amateur privileges mean we can run high power there, not just 100mW or whatever the consumer grade devices run...

KW4BY, KC7NOA, AB6RF and 4 others like this.
  7. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

So no body knows about the GEO -SAT that covers Eu and Mid-East that was paid for by the Mid-East Sponsor ???

This device makes it a perfect radio for that Geo-Sat ...

K5AGE, G1OJJ, N1ZZZ and 3 others like this.
  8. K1IO

K1IO Ham Member QRZ Page

Unlicensed use of the 5 GHz band includes everything from 5.150 to 5.350 and 5.470 to 7.125 GHz except the little band from 5.895 to 5.925. That latter part is open to amateurs and is also available to vehicle systems (DSRC/CV2X), though that sees more talk than action. Unlicensed use is subject to a complex set of rules that vary by sub-band; see FCC rule 15.407 (which is very long). Some frequencies are much busier than others. The part above 5.85 is new. 2.402 to 2.450 is of course also available unlicensed and that's the really noisy place were Wi-Fi and Bluetooth live, among other things. The 2.300-2.310 portion is much more promising for amateur use.

K6CLS likes this.
  9. K4XJ

K4XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzo_O

K4SBZ, G3SEA, W0DN and 4 others like this.
  10. W2EV

W2EV Ham Member QRZ Page

An SHF DX Primer

The 10-, 6-, and 2- meter bands open for DX periodically and regularly. So do the 2.3- and 5.7-GHz bands.

The difference is that it is impossible to accurately predict when, and the direction of, 10-, 6-, and 2-meter openings whereas predicting multi-hundred kilometer DX on 2.3- and 5.7-GHz (and even 10-, 24-, and 47-GHz) is a commonplace with modest power levels (under 1-watt at 10-GHz!).

When comparing HF DX to SHF DX, consider the refracting mediums. At HF and "lower" VHF, it is usually the ionosphere...a medium that is invisible to the human eye. At SHF, it is the anomalies of the troposphere that are quite visible to the human eye and tracked constantly by the National Weather Service: rain storms and snow storms.

The National Weather Service out of Buffalo NY transmits in the upper 3-GHz band. Clearly, that RF is both reflected and scattered over long distances or one would not be able to detect storms that are 100's of km's away. At very modest amateur power levels, the same thing happens. Two stations can point at the same rain or snow cell and communicate while experiencing the "magic" of Doppler effects depending on the geometry of the cell and the path involved.

Take a look at K0SM's rainscatter.com to see a website designed to assist SHF operators to identify good opportunities for DX. Be patient as it loads.

Search YouTube for the call signs of VA3ELE and VA3TO for videos of them making contacts with many stations over many 100's of km's on these bands.

Join the Midwest Microwave email group: https://groups.io/g/Midwest-Microwave or the 10-GHz-Up email group: https://groups.io/g/10GHz-Up to learn more about just how easy it is to get active on these bands, and the DX that they are capable of.

Oh, by the way...even "bouncing" signals off of aircraft is a mode that can be used to communicate over long distances at these frequencies.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
    KW4BY, KD2ANN, KA2FIR and 19 others like this.
  11. VK2JI

VK2JI Ham Member QRZ Page

QO-100 uses 2.4 and 10 GHz, not 5 GHz, but a different version of the head using and indeed, that could be a good market for ICOM to go after.
    73 Ed.
    https://amsat-uk.org/satellites/geo/eshail-2/

Narrowband Linear transponder
    2400.050 - 2400.300 MHz Uplink
    10489.550 - 10489.800 MHz Downlink

Wideband digital transponder
    2401.500 - 2409.500 MHz Uplink
    10491.000 - 10499.000 MHz Downlink

G1OJJ likes this.
  12. W9SZ

W9SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I see quite a few comments on here but very few from people who have actually operated on these bands. I have been active on all the UHF/microwave bands in the weak-signal (CW/SSB) segments from 902 MHz through 47 GHz, including the 2.3 and 5.7 GHz bands. They are NOT line-of-sight. I frequently make QSO's over several hundred miles through 10 GHz. Sometimes when there is a decent tropo opening, it can extend to 500 miles or more. And there are areas where other services cause noise and signal interference problems on some of these bands, but there are areas where they don't, either. I speak from 15 years of experience.

That being said, this equipment by Yaesu is likely to be pretty expensive if it ever hits the market. You can build transverters for these bands for about $150 apiece. For those who don't want to go through that trouble, they may be useful. I would stick with my transverters.

KW4BY, K5AGE, KA2FIR and 10 others like this.
  13. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Too bad AMSAT never got one over North America and South America like was discussed in detail decades ago.

I've been active all the way up to 10 Gs over the years, but my lack of enthusiasm has dwindled.

So the real challenge is for ICOM, is to get me back interested.... .. HI

KA2FIR, AK5B, W7USD and 1 other person like this.
  14. K7FR

K7FR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Propagation at those frequencies is always interesting. Back in the 90's a certain cell provider bought our 2 gig microwaye links out because we were causing them issues. They were in Seattle and we were 100 miles away on the other side of the Cascade mountain range. Seems our side lobes had enough poop to bounce signals off the rock faces of some peaks. They installed 6 gig digital links for us as part of the purchase price. Even at 6 gig one of our west shots could be heard in Seattle.

KC7ZXY likes this.
  15. N9DG

N9DG Ham Member QRZ Page

I suspect that this proposed radio borrows heavily from some of the products that Icom does in this market space:

https://www.icomamerica.com/en/network/

Did they say at Hamvention or elsewhere that they specifically plan to have any "non digital" modes like SSB or CW? The bits info that I have seen so far made no mention of those modes in any published literature. Just "USB" shown on the panel of the control head. As far as that goes, very little info about planned modes at all.

AK5B likes this.