ad: MLSons-1

CHA Spike Mount: Light, Strong, Versatile

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6TRA, May 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KI6TRA

KI6TRA Ham Member QRZ Page

KK6USA likes this.
  2. W8BYH

W8BYH Ham Member QRZ Page

When I first heard about this I thought "What's it good for?", but the more I thought about it the more an accessory like this makes sense. The Chameleon Mil Whip system is great, but like all similar antenna systems it needs some sort of support - a tripod or a clamp or a mast or a combination of all three. And occasionally a tree, or a park bench, or a truck bumper, or... All this spike mount requires is a patch of dirt. Sure, your operating range will be restricted. Amateur Radio folks like to think of communications in distance measurements that start with 'state' or 'continent' and forget that there's lots of activity in the immediate area that this combo would be ideal for.

I think I'm gonna' get me one!

3. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thoughts;
    It looks well made, as a mount only. Don't rely on it for any sort of ground.
    It does not say, but that coax attachment piece is not included. It looks like a CHA-Hybrid impedance transformer. ($210)

4. SGO1

SGO1 QRZ Member

5. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a stainless steel spike with a threaded crown. Hard to justify for 50 bucks, coming from an old CNC machinist.

AK5B and KA5RIO like this.
  6. KA5RIO

KA5RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably they use a very expensive Allen bolt with a press on knob,Coming from a machinist also.

7. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Go steal a metal real-estate sign, remove the sign and use it for a 2m mag mount ground plane, weld a 3/8-24 coupling nut on the post. Wipe hands on pants.

KS4W, KQ9Y, AE9AM and 2 others like this.