ad: k1jek

Can the operator of a 1x1 SES take credit for the QSOs on his personal call?

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by WZ4K, Jun 1, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the correct answer would have to come from whatever group administrates any award he might be going for... if that is in fact the reason for asking.

Case in point:

During the SKCC " K3Y " event early this year, the rule was that an operator using the SE callsign could NOT use contacts made with the K3Y callsign for any of the various operating awards that SKCC offers UNLESS they transmitted their personal callsign during the course of the QSO.

So, no matter what one might personally believe, it's ultimately up to those who write the rules.

As far as logging, others have said it, you log the callsign you used for the SES.

QSLs, others have also said it, you QSL with the callsign that was used.

2. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Multiple operators can use any callsign, not just 1x1 callsigns.

I have a similar quandary for a recent QSO party, where a friend and myself ran a multioperator station under my callsign. I don't really know what to do with the contacts. Put them in my log? I personally didn't make half of them. But they were valid contacts and I would like to give credit where credit is due.

3. WR2E

I would think that logging by callsign is what you need to do. It's the station they get credit for, not the operator.

Your qso party score is for both you and your co_operator equally.

4. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Your log is however you determine. Is it your contacts personally? Or is it your station's contacts?

Mine is my station contacts, KC9UDX. Any contact under my call gets logged in it. Contacts I personally make under any other call do not go in that log.

To me this is the only way it makes sense, but it's not much of my business how someone else does it.

5. WZ4K

WZ4K Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very interesting replies, thanks...this is why I asked. I have a wall full of awards so that is really not the issue - I wouldn't expect an award sponsor to accept a 1x1 as credit to a personal call sign 'account'. I was thinking more along the lines of QSLing. Some here would exchange QSLs, some would definitely not! I ran the N4C event just before Armed Forces Day and IDed as both N4C and WZ4K on most QSOs - but not all. I am clearly IDed on th QRZ page as sponsor/operator. I have a separate log for N4C. With about 40,000 QSOs in my personal log, I'm not really concerned but was curious what the consensus is - now I now - thanks again for all the replies.

73, Howard

6. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I should add that my log is generally for contacts from my home station. Mobile and portable either get noted as such or get entered in a different log.

Not that it matters.

7. NM9K

NM9K Ham Member QRZ Page

As long as you exchange your personal call, I don't see why not. I logged a few during the NM QSO party for North Dakota. It's rare dx around here, I'm going to take it when I can get it. By that logic, anyone use LOTW and in Maine or DE? I'll work you from any station!

8. WR2E

I think you could send qsl for both callsigns for those which you did state your personal callsign in addition.

I worked a museum ship today and got both a ship AND an NPOTA, sorta along the same lines.

9. N6QIC

N6QIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Howard,
    My answer would be NO, I would log the calls under the 1x1 call sign and not on my own call. You applied and were granted a "Special Event Call Sign" that call sign is you, you are operating the special event for up to 15 days. You would have to make another contact under your call sign,
    but doing so my violate some of the rules to the special event Please read FAQ (Q) below.
    http://www.1x1callsigns.org/index.php/component/content/article/4

Q. What about possible abuses of the Special Event Call Sign System?
    A. Amateurs can be denied future call sign reservations if the Coordinator determines that your planned operation did not conform to high standards or that your reservation circumvents (or circumvented) the intent of the Special Event Call Sign System. The Coordinator has the authority to cancel a previously accepted reservation for any reason and a coordinator's decision is final without appeal. The objective of the Special Event Call Sign System is to provide a unique call sign for a planned amateur radio operation which honors -- or calls attention to -- a notable public event.

If you want to be sure you should ask this question to the 1x1 "Special Event Call Sign Coordinator" "He is the one to ask". Please se the link for contact information
    http://www.1x1callsigns.org/index.php/component/content/article/5

Thank you,

KC9UDX likes this.
  10. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

So to reawaken this thread.... I have my big K1T Heathkit Commemoration event this summer - now moved to the correct month of July - starting on the 23rd, the 63rd anniversary of the death of Howard Anthony and in the 70th year anniversary of the first electronic Heathkit (first Heathkit, the 5" Oscilloscope, later dubbed the O-1, first appeared in the July 1947 issue of Radio News magazine)

My plan is to create a "new log file" in N3JFP that I will call the K1T SES Log. So far so good.

Personally, I do not need anything QSL-wise - I have my DXCC, WAS, Triple Play, etc. I don't need anything. My QSL plan is to have a very nice card printed, showing the Heathkit station. Probably have a certificate as well - still working all that out.

But what about folks who in fact do want an LoTW, eQSL, ClubLog, etc. confirmation? Would I approach the ARRL and create a new LoTW account just for the K1T purposes? Same with eQSL?

How would all that work? I expect to have a heavy turnout for my event - and lots of folks will be wanting LoTW, eQSL, etc.

Thoughts?

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  11. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You can do an EQSL log of 1X1's, as example look up K2A. You'll see it has a very narrow date range. There is already a K1T for 2016 with a lot of cards waiting.

Check with the EQSL administrators, same for LOTW. They are the ones to give you correct answers.

12. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Yeah DOH! I will ping ARRL and eQSL and ask if there's a way to properly handle the situation. And yes, there were actually THREE K1T stations in 2016. I just looked up K1T at the 1x1 site and also notice that the coordinator successfully set me up for July 23 to August 8 but they neglected to remove the October listing.... Hmmm.... better ping them again.

Dave
    W7UUU

13. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In the past few years, I have used a number of different special event call-signs, as well as a club call-sign, and my own call-sign both fixed and mobile. For each call-sign I keep a separate log. And when I need to upload a log, to LoTW or eQSL or QRZ, I upload only the entries for a given call-sign to the corresponding on-line log. In other words, my mobile contacts are uploaded ( only ) to my mobile log under my mobile call-sign, my contacts using the club call sign are only uploaded to the club call-sign’s on-line logbook.

Even if I didn’t keep those logs separately, it would be easy enough in principle to select which ones to upload under what call-sign, because the ADIF file identifies the operator’s call sign in one field, and the station’s call sign ( the call sign actually used on the air ) in another field. But keeping the logs separately simply makes it easier to prevent accidentally uploading the wrong entries.

Plus I have a spreadsheet that combines all the logs, but clearly shows what call-sign was being used for each contact. That way I can see who and what I have personally worked, in some overall sense.

But as others have said, logging is one thing, QSL’ing is another, and qualification for awards something else entirely.

As a general rule, I do not work someone with my using more than one call sign at a time. I know people who do that, but I find it confusing. If I work someone who does it, that’s easier, and I can legitimately log both call signs they used. Or when someone is “mobile” but parked on a county line, I log them twice, once in each county.

I would never confirm a contact if the QSL didn’t clearly indicate the correct call sign that I used on the air and his/her call sign matches what I have in my log.

In some cases I have been disappointed to receive a QSL card from a person who was using a special event or club call sign but sends his own QSL card instead. To me those QSLs are not valid.