ad: Flexradio-1

Can the operator of a 1x1 SES take credit for the QSOs on his personal call?

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by WZ4K, Jun 1, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WZ4K

WZ4K Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is it acceptable to include contacts made under a 1x1 SES in the operator's personal log? In this particular event, I was the sole operator of the 1x1.

73, Howard
    WZ4K

2. K5TCJ

K5TCJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No. You were operating the Special Event Station under its callsign, not your own.

3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

You can always re-work them with your own call during the same QSO. I used to send out personal thank-you QSLs to stations I worked with the club call -- and some folks did not respond favorably, so if it was a country, etc... I needed, I asked them if I could work them with my call as well.

KF5RHI likes this.
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ethically? No. You were operating under the special event callsign, not your own. If you wanted personal contacts, you should have taken an additional moment to make an exchange using your personal call.

It's just a hobby. All we have is personal integrity.

5. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see why not. It is your station, and you are the operator. (It would be a different issue if it were a club station with the 1x1 call.) Here's what the FCC rule says:

So it's still the same station it was before. In fact, you need to give the normal station call once per hour. And it's the same operator as before. Most awards, such as WAS and DXCC, allow you to take credit for contacts you made if you change your call sign. I don't see why it would be any different if the change is only temporary.

6. KA0HCP

Unrelated issue. This is purely about regulatory station identification. Has nothing to do with making contacts for QSL cards or awards.

7. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Logging and QSL'ing are two separate things.

Can they be in your paper log, sure – with the notation you were operating 1X1. Cannot be used as credit for any awards. Don't log in LOTW or EQSL.

QSL under your call, no. QSL under 1X1 with you as the operator.

8. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, you can take personal credit for the stations you worked as the special event station. The 1x1 callsign is traceable back to your personal call via the 1x1 callsign website, and a printout with the website and a signed piece of paper would be sufficient to credit any new states, counties, etc for any award that you are interested. Whether under your call or the 1x1 call, you did indeed work those particular stations.

Now, the question as to how to keep your logs is a little more complex. It wouldn't be right (and also not serve a purpose) to upload them to LotW because there will never be a corresponding other side of the transaction to get credit. You don't want to accidently upload them, so I wouldn't put them into your electronic log under your personal callsign. Rather I would keep two separate logs and just reference each other.

This might be problematic if seeking awards....but most SES contacts aren't new ones for awards.

I don't see how it is different than some folks who change calls more often than some women buy new clothes.

9. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, and if you make contacts from your station, they're valid for awards such as WAS and DXCC. If you permanently change your call sign, all of your old contacts still count. I don't see why it make any difference if you change your call sign for a few days. The rule makes clear that it is still the same station.

Again, it would be different if it were a club station using a special event call. Then, the individual operator wouldn't get credit. But from the original post, it sounds like this was an individual requesting a special event call for himself. It's still the same station, and in fact, he needs to ID once per hour using his original call.

If you look at the rules, you will see that there is no reference to anything called a "special event station." The only reference is to special event call signs, which is merely an additional optional call sign.

Think of it this way. Let's say that I get on the air with special event call sign W0A, which I personally requested, and nobody else is involved. During the course of the weekend, I confirm all 50 states. Who is entitled to the WAS award?

10. KA0HCP

That question is moot. We aren't discussing DXCC or whatever. Go haggle their rules elsewhere. Follow the rules of the award sponsor. They can make up any rules they want.

[This is about requesting a QSL for a contact that was never made using a different callsign.]

Again, it's unethical to [request confirmation of contacts] for a callsign you didn't use. I won't confirm them, and I think most hams won't. Response: "NIL: Not In Log".

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  11. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the clarification. The original poster must have deleted the part about requesting a QSL:

12. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Since multiple operators could be using a special event callsign, in order to claim personal credit for a contact you would have to have transmitted your personal callsign to the other station.

13. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Soooooo.... if a SINGLE sole operator of an SES declare in his/her "QSL Info" section "Any contact with W7X is also considered a valid contact with WB7AWK and will be noted on the QSL card as such" then be valid? I don't see why not.... but I do have a good reason to ask....

Dave
    W7UUU

14. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If I worked W4S, I would have logged W4S. I would not have logged WZ4K.

If WZ4K logged me when I worked W4S, so what? Other than being an invalid entry?

If, on the other hand, I requested a QSL from W4S, I would expect a card from W4S, not WZ4K.

I do not think I understand the OP's question.

15. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought he was asking if he could send in 25 QSL's that had been sent to W4S along with 25 QSL's that had been sent to WZ4K and get WAS as a result. My answer to that question is yes, assuming that he was the person who applied for the special event call.

But apparently his original question was something else.