ad: chuckmartin

Cambodia bans the FT-891

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Aug 27, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just use online translator https://uarl.info/article/zaborona_roboti_amatorskih_radioperedavalnih_zasobiv
    Over the past few months, many have turned to the military administrations for clarifications, and the military replied that they did not establish any bans and there was no need for them.
    Our president has a law degree, but he does something else much better ...

SA1CKE and W4LJ like this.
  2. KB7DV

KB7DV QRZ Lifetime Member #147 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Agreed Rob. The Philippines has been very good to the hams so far and I sure hope it doesn't change.
    Dennis DU3/KB7DV

US7IGN likes this.
  3. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Side story...Living in or short stays of 70 countries the last 44 years, I have my share of war stories about Ham radio, some from Turkmenistan, Morocco, Russia, Aussie land to Guinea Africa

Let me tell you about the Guinea Africa one

I brought my Kenwood 520 with me (To Guinea Africa), I had an assignment deep into the Guinea Africa, It was away from much civilization. But there was a small village maybe a few hundred o where I was residing (They had a hotel called "Days Inn") which was made of hay or something like this...I digress

The next day after landing, I set up my Ham set, (I had all the licensing you need).

I put up a simple Dipole, maybe up at 40 ft...The sunspots were very good at the time, and I had all set up...I was showing the Hotel Manager what I could do, I was on 15 or 20 meters, SSB working back to the USA. My set up was just out side the Hotel, (Not much traffic!), And after a while there was nearly the whole village there watching me working USA contacts...It was amazing to these villagers, They could not believe their eyes (This was nearly 40 years ago).

Well, next thing you know the local police come, and asked how is this possible?, I showed them my license, but meant nothing to them...About 20 minutes later I hear the word "CIA" and they kept mentioning this...Of course they have their own language, but the only word I understood was "CIA"

Next thing I knew I was taken to their local jail, I was a spy, and working for the CIA, Well, Actually, I was a Satellite Engineer designing satellite networks for Alcoa, from Pittsburgh to Guinea Africa..

After some negotiation, I had to pay $ 200, plus my radio was gone..Of course this was more of an opportunity to get some extra money for the town, I hope they didn't think I was from CIA, there was nothing there to conquer! (I was there for a month, and I have so many more stories, but I will stick with this Ham radio episode)

(On a side note< Go to my QRZ Page, My wife I met indirect through Ham radio, she is from a predominant family...We been married for 27 years) / I had a QSO with CN8ST...Another story..

Ham radio, travel, adventure and the stories! I got a ton of them !

DE NN2X / Tom

N0TZU, 4X1ST, K2AMF and 6 others like this.
  4. US7IGN

Nice story Tom. Thank you! Even here in the center of Europe, I was regularly suspected of being a spy when I left with radio out of town. Don't underestimate the number of ignorant people around...

N0TZU, WD0BCT, KE0QQQ and 1 other person like this.
  5. XU7AKG

XU7AKG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks to the hams for sending us docs for the FT-891 Type Approval. We really appreciate it and have sent them on to the TRC Techs. Basically the gov here have been trying to tidy up all the illegal handhelds and HF rigs in the country. Probably a good thing, but we have been caught up with it. Will keep you posted on how it goes.
    Thanks again
    Dave
    Capt Dave Taylor
    C&T Capt / AMEL
    +855 888313414
    XU7AKG / ZL3AIK
    Kingdom of Cambodia

N9FM, W1TRY, KC7JNJ and 5 others like this.
  6. KC5NOA

KC5NOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I could care less what they do in Cambodia!

7. SV0SGS

SV0SGS Ham Member QRZ Page

What a great Catch-22! You need a Cambodian compliance certification. There is no one in Cambodia that can do that. As others have already mentioned in their replies, I think this is an attempt to put a stop to free, unstructered communicaions. You have to look what is goig on in other countries. Each one is doing something different. Digital cuurency in one, bio-security state in others, etc. Connect the dots! It will all eventually merge togethre into one big entity that controls everything. I f you think this is bad, it will get worse.

N9FM, AC0XR, KR3DX and 1 other person like this.
  8. SP3RXO

SP3RXO Ham Member QRZ Page

I just rely on informations available in the media and the internet, for example here. And I don't care who Zelensky is or isn't, but I think he's a good president for the war time. That's it.

9. US7IGN

I can't open link. I read laws, not someone else's comments. My legal opinion is quoted above and confirmed by the responses of the military administrations. That's it.
    1621862667.jpg

KR3DX likes this.
  10. WA4VQW

WA4VQW Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem with that approach, is that the specific model variant, sold in the USA, may not be the same as sold in other ITU regions. For example, the IC-7300 supports 70 MHz in Europe, but not in the USA. So the FCC test reports, while informative, may not be applicable worldwide.

KR3DX likes this.
  11. K6DDJ

K6DDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a thought, but would they accept the testing done by the ARRL in their very thorough product review articles? Worth a shot!

XU7AKG likes this.
  12. HS0ZPC

HS0ZPC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good to hear that Dave, and it does seem as though you have good and friendly lines of communication open with the key players in the regulating authority there in Cambodia. It seems as though they are amenable to working with the amateur radio community to do what they can. The mere fact that they were willing to give you some background info on what's driving the situation says a lot. I hope you'll be able to work together with these folks to build bridge to developing a workable "Type Acceptance" system for the benefit of all Cambodia based amateurs.

Gordo
    HS0ZPC
    Kingdom of Thailand

XU7AKG, PY2NEA and US7IGN like this.
  13. WA4VQW

WA4VQW Ham Member QRZ Page

One other thought on this topic, pretty much all international aircraft, that fly trans-oceanic routes, continue an HF radio, and one that likely has more frequency agility that current models sold to US hams. I wonder how Cambodia is handling the licensing of those radios.

14. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless of course you happen to be there!

PY2NEA and US7IGN like this.
  15. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone consider that the FT-891 is black, portable, sleek and military looking? Of course it got banned.
    IT'S AN ASSAULT RADIO! :D

N9FM, AC0XR, KK5JK and 5 others like this.