ad: MyersEng-1

CAF Bomber B-29 FiFi On 14.263 MHz Today

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by K0LGI, Jul 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K0LGI

K0LGI Ham Member QRZ Page

Today the CAF B29 Bomber FiFi will be operating on or near 14.263 MHz while in
    flight using vintage Collins AM gear that was installed recently by Collins
    Retirees.

The anticipated flight will originate from CID Cedar Rapids, Iowa at around 1800
    hours UTC.

Denny, K0LGI

2. NA8Y

NA8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparently I missed this one. Thanks for posting it. I would love to catch these guys.

3. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I saw this posted on another site yesterday also. I had just read about it in QST. I also missed it:(

4. K6ZIZ

K6ZIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

As a life member of the Commemorative Air Force I've been privileged to fly in "Fifi" several times. The CAF is a great group with a large collection of flying warbirds. Hope propagation favors reception here in California later today.

Chuck, K6ZIZ

5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Were they actually able to fly this flight and make any 20m AM transmissions and QSO's?

I listened for awhile shortly after the stated departure time and only heard George on Washington Island (W9EVT) directing the "Pre-Collins Net".

Sadly, no Fifi heard ...

6. N8BUU

N8BUU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm assuming FiFi is heading to Oshkosh?

TNX
    Paul N8BUU

7. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's great to see and hear that the old plane and its radios are up in the air again ...

I hope folks who work the plane aeronautical mobile on AM make some audio recordings to share with us please ?

8. K4GHL

K4GHL Ham Member QRZ Page

July 2012
    18-20 Cedar Rapids, IA -- PS Air
    21-29 Oshkosh, WI -- EAA Airventure 2012
    August 2012
    2-5 Yipslanti, MI -- Thunder over Michigan
    6-8 Kalamazoo, MI -- Air Zoo of Kalamazoo
    9-12 Chicago, IL -- Dupage Air Center
    13-15 Springfield, MO -- Springfield International Airport
    September 2012
    September Tour Coming Soon!
    October 2012
    12-14 Midland, TX -- CAF Airsho 2012

The B-29 Superfortress and the B-24 Liberator regularly tour the US each year in remembrance and honor of our American military forces. The tour stops and airshows we attend are educational encounters for most of the public which are just now re-learning of the sacrifices of our WWII and Korean veterans. You can get up close to view and experience these aircraft.

At most tour stops and airshows we attend the aircraft are opened up for ground and cockpit tours when not in operation. In addition, we often conduct Living History Bomber Rides. Click on the links below for more information on each tour stop.

******** From their site at http://www.cafb29b24.org/ *********

9. K4GHL

K4GHL Ham Member QRZ Page

10. K0LGI

K0LGI Ham Member QRZ Page

CAF B29 FiFi –Update<o:p></o:p>
    See: http://b29radio.com/ for the latest CAF B-29 FiFi updates. <o:p></o:p>
    This is the websitefor any updates or additional details about the B-29 aircraft radio restorationproject and of those that made it happen in time for the Oshkosh 2012 AirAdventure.<o:p></o:p>
    FIFI Flight Schedule and Possible ContactTimes including QSL information are located at: http://www.collinsradio.org/?page_id=1439<o:p></o:p>
    73, K0LGI<o:p></o:p>

11. K1NSS

K1NSS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all,

I look after the b29radio.com web pages for Rockwell Collins ARC's B-29 Radio Project and we invite you to stop by. Like the project itself, our site is a volunteer work in progress, featuring "FIFI" radio history and tech notes plus operating news and links to the Commemorative Air Force and Collins Collectors Association for your best shot at a contact with the last flying Superfortress. I'll be checking here periodically, posting updates as I get them and I look forward to your comments, questions and suggestions, which I'll pass along to my contact with the group, Lawrence Robinson KC0ODK -- Curator of the Rockwell Collins Museum in Cedar Rapids. Please keep in mind that "FIFI" operating frequencies and times are often by necessity "of the moment," given technical considerations and the need to mesh with "FIFI's" overall mission. That said, we'll do our best to give you the latest info, along with a taste of this aircraft's remarkable radio heritage.

Jeff Murray
    K1NSS

12. K1NSS

K1NSS Ham Member QRZ Page

Great Catch! "FIFI" gets caught tonight on HamNation with Bob Heil, 9pm ET.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.