ad: Flexradio-1

Busy time for Project Amelia Earhart flyer

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jul 3, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KA9UHH

KA9UHH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Bonnie. Here is the link to the whole book in the Diet library. There are three pages of text and , what looks like to me, an index to the photos. Bonnie, could you take a look at those? http://dl.ndl.go.jp/info:ndljp/pid/1223403 For those interested in contemporary 1937 flight navigation material and detailed information on Earhart's flight go to sites/google.com/site/fredienoonan
    There are 45 photos in that book and I suspected that if Mr. Kinney went back to the archives he would find the other 44.http://dl.ndl.go.jp/info:ndljp/pid/1223403

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KA9UHH

Um... NO. Earhart disappeared on July 2, 1937 and the Marco Polo Incident didn't occur until 5 days later on July 7th and it appears that it was not pre-planned, that it happen by accident and miscalculation.

4. KA9UHH

15Abeamislands (1).jpg
    Actually the true course from Lae to Howland is 078 degrees true, not 045 degrees true so the deviation to end up in the Japanese held islands is even larger. For contemporary navigation information and charts for her flight see: https://sites.google.com/site/fredienoonan/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  5. KA9UHH

The definitive proof that that photo does NOT show Earhart is that the History Channel, which had spent mega-bucks producing that series and had the money to hire a professional Japanese translator to translate the entire 1935 book ( the whole book is available at that Diet Library website, http://dl.ndl.go.jp/info:ndljp/pid/1223403 the image is frame 99) and they have cancelled the series. If their translator disputed Bonnie's translation then they would not have cancelled the series.
    gl

6. KA9UHH

And for those who don't know, the Japanese "Diet" is the equivalent to the U.S. Congress so the Diet Library is the equivalent of the U.S. Library of Congress, do you think they got the date and information about that book wrong?

7. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

8. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the interesting link. My error. From my readings it seems they really didn't handle the radio work well. It's interesting to compare this with Lindbergh's long distance flights with his wife. He had her get a 3rd class radiotelegraph permit just to be able to communicate.

I think some of the idea that AE went to the Japanese mandated islands can be traced back to a silly movie, Flight for Freedom, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_for_Freedom There certainly is a myth around her, most recently see in a Star Trek: Voyager episode where she and Noonan were captured by aliens (and AE looks far younger than she was!). "Getting lost and drowning" is not by itself heroic.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  9. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Doesn't matter at this point. It's a Conspiracy Theory. Facts can be adjusted as needed.

10. KA9UHH

We all used to have to get a 3rd class radio licence to operate our aircraft radios when flying outside of the U.S. I don't know when that requirement went away. Two weeks ago I purchased Flight For Freedom on Amazon for 14 bucks and that is exactly where that theory started. The movie came out in 1943 and I am sure that many Marines saw it either in the U.S. or on the troop ships on the way to the Japanese islands.

11. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

We're getting a little off topic, Gary, but I was talking about the radiotelegraph operator permit, which of course required a knowledge of CW. That disappeared a few years ago when the FCC consolidated the telegraphy tickets into one class. (Got that for fun since there certainly isn't much use for commercial operators anymore!)

The third class radiotelephone has also gone--there is an easy to get marine operator permit which is basically the same test--and the 2nd and 1st class 'phone licenses have also been combined. That is needed to repair aviation radios. You do need to sign a permit radio operator card if piloting abroad, it says you can understand English, keep a log, and know not to swear on the air. That keeps the treaty requirements happy.

Point is that when the equipment was more primitive and stations were less common, a real knowledge of how to use (and sometimes fix) radios was critical for longer distance flying. Anne Morrow Lindbergh knew code and used it, and I expect Charles had a good "radio sense". I'm not at all sure Earhart and Noonan were on the same level, and that might have been what got them.