ad: Schulman-1

Building the Ham Radio Workbench 12v Power Supply

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8MRD, May 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WA5KM

WA5KM Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this a joke?

KC3JH and WN1MB like this.
  2. K8MRD

K8MRD Ham Member QRZ Page

First project like this and had no idea resistors didn't matter. I just looked at a picture of it on the web site and thought that's how they needed to go. Wasn't trying to fry it. But I know now, and thats the great thing about experimenting.

WR2E likes this.
  3. K4WDY

K4WDY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why do you ask?

4. K9CQ

K9CQ Guest

I am not sure I understand why build something that won't handle 100% duty cycle for the for the fuses it uses? If you buy a Powerwerx PD-8 you get 7 pairs to use and it will handle 45 amps at 100% duty cycle for not a lot more than this kit plus the case. I don't need extra fuses inline with the fuses already in the power cords.

5. N1DQQ

N1DQQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The instructions say that a load has to be connected for the blown fuse light to work; it needs a return path. The dead fuse makes no difference in or out.

6. W8ASA

W8ASA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You mentioned that you had to turn the resistor around. Why is that? What makes a resistor not reversible?

7. W0IW

W0IW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

David cross is that u ...???

Attached Files:

K3RLD likes this.
  8. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

... because it goes way past 11!

9. NK4K

NK4K Ham Member QRZ Page

You can PROBABLY strip some #14 or #16 AWG stranded and solder to the traces that overheat. I say "PROBABLY" because I have not held the circuit board in my grubby little hands. Naturally, more thickness may be needed in the housing box.
    I do this all the time with 20A, 25A, and 35A power supplies of famous brand names that use only the printed circuit copper to go from the capacitor to the regulating/switching transistors.
    I mean, what self respecting electron isn't going to take the shortest route instead of fanning out throughout the width of the copper?
    P.S. Huntsville metro is a cool place for ham radio and technology in general: hamfest.org

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  10. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

This thread makes me wonder: is it possible to become a licensed HAM in the USA without ANY basic knowledge of electronics? I mean, if you don't know that a resistor does not have a polarity, you'd certainly fail for a Novice exam here in the Netherlands.

KC3JH, N1DQQ and WN1MB like this.
  11. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Amazing, isn't it?

"Look at me! Look at me! I'm making a video of me making a kit! Look at me!"

12. K4FX

K4FX Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't think a resister has polarity there bud.

13. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Nor does a resistor...

AB0RE likes this.
  14. VK3HAY

VK3HAY Ham Member QRZ Page

Sotabeams....lol

15. NX1Q

NX1Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think I have ever seen anything on the front page top spot for so long. You are going to be Icon level if it stays there over the weekend.