ad: CQMM-1

Building a Magnetic Loop Antenna Series for Beginners [Video]

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Dec 23, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

Correct. 1/2" copper was easy to shape. My comment was in the context of a 1" tube, I somehow don't think it would go well with a hand bender. I looked for videos that show a successful bend with hand bender and found none. Still looking...

AC2FO likes this.
  2. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

I made a simple receive-only loop with 3 turns (10' circumference, 30' of wire) and a varactor diode for remote tuning. DC is provided through the same coax as the RF returns on. A simple RF snap-on ferrite is used for the RF coupling (1:2) and two 1M resistors for DC coupling. A coupler at the receiver inserts 0-9 Volts from a battery via a 5M resistor for tuning.

Works great!
    LoopAnt02.jpg LoopAnt01.jpg LoopAnt03.jpg LoopAnt04.jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    AC2FO and KA0HCP like this.
  3. KF5UMC

KF5UMC Ham Member QRZ Page

My copper 20m magnetic "loop" with remote tuning RC motor below variable capacitor. Very quite antenna! Last time I used it in the living room, I was 20 over into West Virginia from South Louisiana!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

AC2FO and N4UVR like this.
  4. KR6AUL

KR6AUL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I noticed that loop antennas come with limitations of low power. Is there one that can do at least 100W?

5. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Transmitting loop antennas are mostly limited by the voltage rating of the tuning capacitor because the cap is located at the highest impedance point of the loop (loops are typically fed at low impedance points). A vacuum variable cap will allow quite a bit of wattage. If you tune the antenna remotely with a synchronous motor, be sure to use a sufficient length of insulated shaft to connect to the cap :-0

AC2FO likes this.
  6. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Crimp connectors are a fail! The best results are achieved removing as many pressure joints as possible.
    I'd try with a more powerful iron to do them effectively.