ad: CQMM-1

Bouvet by... Sailboat? HamRadioNow 454

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Dec 5, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My dad was in the Pacific during WW2 and he said the time he got the most scared wasn’t during battle, but being in a typhoon. He told about the 40-60 foot waves.

ER5GB and PY2NEA like this.
  2. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Not the seas your father sailed (true sailors they were) but a Corvette from Thai Navy recently sunk after water flooded the engine compartment.

Waves no higher than 4m, as I recall, you should be able to look for tragedy news easily, ship was previously a USN one.

Oliver

3. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A sailing yacht traversing the roaring 50's is a bad idea. And with only 3 people as the crew is also a bad idea.

Many sailing ships have been destroyed traversing the 50's. There are 100 foot tall rogue waves there.

I'll pray for them.

ER5GB, K0UO and PY2NEA like this.
  4. PY2NEA

Actually, they'll have an unusual problematic for those latitudes, not using their main sail now, speed is only about 7kts. Fairly well, only that they cannot fully choose which meteorological system they'll face next. Could be sailing into light air in the next days. Big swell with so much cargo? GL :eek:
    Let's see. In any case, voyage is more thrilling than pile-ups.

Oliver

5. AJ1G

AJ1G Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like they are heading for the barn right now, speed 11knots.

My personal goal is to work them on 160 CW from my mobile on Stonington Point CT. It's 8K miles of almost nothing but salt water from here to there! Stonington CT was the home port of Nathaniel Palmer, a sealing captain who was the first American to visit the Antarctic in the early 19th century. Palmer Land was named for him.

Chris AJ1G Stonington CT

PY2NEA likes this.
  6. PY2NEA

meaningful objective, Sir!

wondering if there
    are many others
    out there
    to and from the ether

Oliver