ad: TinyPaddle-1

Board Ramps Up Focus on EmComm Issues

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N5ARK, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No. Again nobody has anything against amateur emergency communications.

The issue is amateur radio being part of your job, using amateur radio on behalf of your employer, and using amateur radio as a substitute for the other radio services these agencies and businesses should be using.

What the ARRL seems to want to do now, is to carve out exceptions to these regulations so hams can use amateur radio on behalf of their employers, as part of their jobs, and as substitute for other communications services, for the case of "drills" and "preparedness".

On the surface this seems to be in line with the idea of amateurs providing emergency communications, but if you think about it past the superficial, what it really does is open the door for a professional, paid communications service using ham frequencies.

If the ARRL pursues this change, they'll also have to petition for a change of the very definition of amateur radio service in part 97.3:

So what this is about is an irreversible, deep, fundamental shift in amateur radio away from a hobby where hams voluntarily offer communications support, to a semi-professional emergency radio service.

This will destroy amateur radio as we know it.

2. W8QJ

W8QJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe that much of the flamage in these forums contradicts that! The flamers may have a point--in the current situation in Haiti, amateur radio has played a very small role, while people trapped in the rubble are getting tweets out via cell networks. So, for the sake of argument, if amateur radio is finding it hard to maintain a niche in emergency communication alongside other emergent technologies, does it not make sense to find some new framework where it does have a relevant niche? Since emergency communications has been used to justify granting of spectrum and operating privileges since the beginning of the service, is it not a little dangerous to allow that aspect to become irrelevant?

So it seems in keeping that the American Radio Relay League would carry on that nearly 100-year focus, without resorting to weird conspiracy theories and impugning its motives.

I can relate that at my testing session there were several people from the TSA, who were getting licensed, one told me, so that they as part of their paid federal jobs could interoperate with MARS. I suppose that this is the kind of activity that would "end amateur radio as we know it" but in a strict sense, doesn't any change at all do that?

I don't know--could be wrong, but that seems like a lot of drama about something that will probably attract only a small minority of the community, involving as it does, real work!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  3. NN4RH

No. MARS is not part of the amateur radio service, MARS does not fall under Part 97 regulations, and MARS does not operate on amateur frequencies.

4. NN4RH

It can do that already, with volunteers using amateur resources and operating as amateurs - without turning it into a paid, professional emergency radio service.

No. You're missing the point again. Reread my post. The issue is not emergency service.

What is dangerous is to allow the parts about ". . . amateurs, that is, duly authorized persons interested in radio technique solely with a personal aim and without pecuniary interest.", to become irrelevant. THAT part has always been there yet amateurs have always contributed to emergency services. Nothing is broken. What's going on is people trying to turn amateur radio away from its whole basis and purpose.

5. NN4RH

Actually that's not even true. The ARRL made up that fallacy just over the past decade to help support their agenda.

The ARRL is concerned with their essentially flat membership numbers and growing need to prop up their growing pension plan and payroll needs. Just read their annual reports.

They see police departments, fire departments, federal, state, county, local agencies, hospitals, and businesses as a potential pool of new members and thus new revenue.

Follow the money.

6. AB0WR

AB0WR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sorry. I absolutely do NOT agree with this world view.

It is NOT FINE for a hospital to use amateur radio for disaster communications.

Hospitals should be installing PART 90 systems to use during disasters. That is why Part 90 exists!

1. The use of Part 90 allows intercommunications with other agencies using Part 90 equipment.
    2. The use of Part 90 allows *anyone* to be a volunteer communicator for the hospital and not just licensed amateurs.
    3. The use of Part 90 equipment installed by a commercial operation allows a *CONTRACTED* agreement for maintenance, repair, testing, and restoration -- instead of depending on amateurs that cannot provide a long-term succession plan.

Hospitals that are depending on amateurs for their communications needs are being led down the primrose path by the amateurs providing the communications.

As trained communicators, amateurs involved with disaster planning for entities like hospitals *should* be recommending the use of Part 90. The use of Part 97 does nothing for the hospital. It only serves to stroke the egos of the hams involved.

tim ab0wr

7. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

As an occasional consultant for public safety agencies, state and federal governments, and communications manufacturers serving those organizations, Tim's logical thoughts surrounding this matter are correct. Part 90 systems should be employed, upgraded or expanded as needed, and used during training. Amateur Radio should be a "last resort" communications means -- playing a backseat, adjunct role only.

73 de Steve, NL7W

8. N5TGL

N5TGL Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. Although you missed one part -- it provides free backup comms for the business entity! ;)

9. KD0AZR

KD0AZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I think the basis for the objections makes sense, early hysterical comments of "turning ham into government radio" aside. That was mostly what my initial comment was questioning. Given there are already frameworks for emergency comms, and that they're (obviously) already in service, I agree that the ARRL seeking changes to 97.113(a)(3) seems both unnecessary and inappropriate.

For my part, getting involved in ARES still seems like a good way to advance my technical and procedural knowledge within the hobby in a mountainous region where, even in the best of times, there are places where official EmComm signals don't reach on account of the terrain. Not so much because I want to be able to 'respond to emergencies;' it's my sincerest hope that I'll never be able to put that preparation to use, but, if it's ever needed, it will be _really_ needed. I honestly can't envision many scenarios short of a crippling national-scale EMP attack or regional natural disaster beyond the authorities' planning and resources. Scary stuff, either way.

The disparaging remarks seen here and elsewhere seem to suggest some folks resent the idea hams do anything beyond ragchew and QSL cards, but perhaps the ARRL is going to the opposite extreme by suggesting structural changes to the FCC rules. I guess that's the state of discourse today in America; running away from the center of things in politics, morals, and even amateur radio. :/

10. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

Again, the question arises, what do we do, what can we do, about this ARRL thrust? Can we convince present members to drop their membership? Probably not. Can we convince new potential members not to join? Probably not.

Voting with our pocketbooks would work, but not on a basis of one person now and then dropping his membership. It would take a massive effort, and there is no force available to organize such a massive effort. At one time I thought SPAR might be the choice, but it has never really become any sort of force.

We are discussing a problem, but we aren't discussing a solution. What we may need, as a first step, is a rather massive letter writing campaign to the ARRL, telling them we do not approve of this move to turn amateur radio into DHS radio, or whatever, and if it continues, we are going to drop membership. And we have to mean it.

Were I a good organizer I think I'd try to get this off the ground, but I can't organize a trip to the bathroom. We need a leader. I do not, however, see this as a group that would be "anti-ARRL." It only needs to be "anti-ARRL EMCOM." We need the ARRL, like it or not. But we need them to 'get the picture' about amateur radio, and public safety communications. Amateur radio needs to get out of the public safety business, and a business it is.

Can we swing it? Can we use the financial hammer on the ARRL? I'm very willing to write such a letter myself and drop my membership. But I need thousands along with me.

However, even my own move would be to first threaten, not to actually do. I would tell them to get off this public safety horse or they lose my personal support. Then, if they did not, I would follow through.

I have never been asked to vote on anything the ARRL does. Yet I am a full member. Where are my voting rights? Where is my input? I can write my section manager, but if he disagrees with me (and he IS ARRL) it will dead end right there. It goes no further. That route doesn't work.

So, folks, we hash this around a lot, but what is the solution? Virtually none of us want amateur radio turned into a public safety/business radio, even on an occasional basis. We want the freedom to volunteer, not to be drafted. I don't mind doing emergency communications, where/when needed. But I do not want my ham bands overtaken by hospitals and fire departments, to carry their comms that should be on Part 90 systems. And that is precisely where we are headed.

And it's all because of the money. Money into the ARRL's bank account as well as money from DHS and FEMA. We have to stop it, but I just don't know how. Ideas?

Ed

11. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Because it pollutes their precious bodily fluids, or something like that. The argument from many here at "teh Zed" is that any preparation or use of amateur radio for emergency communicaitons is illegal, immoral, fattening, and baaaaad.

I don't understand why the uncivil, abusive, and hostile attitude amongst many of the denizens here is permitted to continue. Amateur radio and emergency communication go together all the way back as long as there was amateur radio. Emergency communication capabilities are the only leverage we have for preservation of our spectrum space against any commercial interests that want it. Amateurs who poo-pooh other amateurs' preparedness (and you know who you are) are traitors to ham radio.

12. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a bald-faced lie.

13. AB1GA

AB1GA Guest

Ed,

The precise extents of your voting rights are outlined in the ARRL bylaws, which are on the League Web site, but there's only one election that really matters, and that's the Director's slot.

The Section Manager's job is in fact part of the Field Organization, and while your SM -may- be a good conduit to the Director, from my reading of the Bylaws the FO's primary purpose is to provide an organizational framework for League activities, and is not intended to be an intermediary between the members and their Director. Don't rely on the SM to relay your message if you can deliver it straight to the Director in writing.

The Director is an elected position, and the ballots go out every three years. If you don't like your Director's stand on the issues, you can simply let him or her know that you will remember, and that your vote will go elsewhere next time. If you're really angry, it is possible to initiate a recall election; the process is outlined in the bylaws and requires signatures totaling ten percent of the number of votes cast in the election which chose the Director. It's a big stick, but if you can raise the votes it's probably needed.

All of this requires two essential elements to work. The first is a candidate to challenge the Director in the next election, and the second is enough people who feel strongly enough about the issue to let it influence their vote and who will actually vote. The vast majority of complaints about not being able to change the League seem to boil down to not being able to raise the required support to force the change. In that case, why should the League be expected to change their stance?

I too have some concerns about the increased emphasis on amateur radio emcomm, particularly in light of the fact that in the US we need it less as time goes on, and that we can't really affect what happens in other jurisdictions. But if change is to take place, focused activity by people in significant numbers is needed, and the objective must be to influence the decisions of the Board of Directors, nothing less will do.

14. N5YOZ

N5YOZ Guest

All of this EMCOMM talk on the part of the government/ARRL makes me wonder what they know that we don't in terms of future need of emergency communications.

There seems to be a real concern for preserving the freedoms of the amateur radio hobby. I don't think there is an HAM operator anywhere that would not respond to an emergency situation or relay traffic if asked, (not unlike letting someone make a call on your cellphone in an emergency) but not all HAM operators became HAMS to respond to emergency communications. (I didn't get a cell phone to have in case someone else needed to use it.)

There are all kinds of amateur radio sub-groups. By that I mean those interested in CW or digital, QRP, etc. There seems to be enough displeasure in some of ARRL's positions all the way around, maybe there needs to be another group organized to look after the hobby as a whole.

When you look at the gun lobby for example, everybody thinks of the NRA because they are the biggest but, there is the RKBA, and Gun Owners of America Groups, etc. as well as each state having an affiliated group with the NRA. Each of those groups has a slightly different view of what is most important to them but, they are all interested in preserving gun rights. The point is that there is more than ONE organized voice for the interest of gun owners and gun rights.

Sounds like an amateur radio operator that is well known, has name identification, and well respected, needs to step up and assume a leadership role in promoting the preservation of the hobby.

Maybe it is time for another group to form that has a mission statement of preserving and promoting amateur radio as a "hobby" with less emphasis on the EMCOMM. Perhaps a new "National Amateur Wireless Association" that is more member driven; one that adopts positions on issues after canvassing the views of its membership is in order. IMHO . . .

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2010
  15. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Originally Posted by NN4RH View Post
    Posted by WU8Y
    Finger pointing isn't cool. I can't speak for everyone. But emergency communications to me implies that there is an actual emergency. Not a drill or practice. I have no problem with true emergency communications. I'll be there, with my ARES/Emcomm/ARRL attitudes put aside.. (Assuming they will let me help out since I won't have an up-to-date badge)

As I pointed out to our local club, fortunately I live in an area not frequented by real emergencies. The last for my area was the Weyauwega train wreck over 10 years ago.

What it comes down to is; How much time do you really want to dedicate to this? Why not spend it learning something new in the hobby, as knowledge you can apply everyday.

Enjoy the hobby, help it advance and keep the governments intervention in the great hobby away as much as possible.

In the event something bad happens in your area, do what you can to help as that is human nature. It's as simple as that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.