ad: k1jek

Bill Ewald, K4WGE

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by AC4RD, Aug 30, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AC4RD

AC4RD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sorry to say that Bill died in May 2015. I was laid up but got to see him a couple of days before he died. He knew there was nothing more the docs could do, and he was calm and relaxed. Bill and I were friends since we were both Tech+s in 1991; his politics were WAY to the right and mine are way to the left, but that never got in the way of our friendship. (Not even when he would call me "you deluded hippie buffoon" or I'd say his tinfoil helmet was slipping.) :) Bill was a heck of a good guy; everybody who knew him is going to miss him. --ken ac4rd

2. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

My Sincere Condolences.

William G. Ewald, K4WGE SK

SK May 22, 2015
    In Memory of
    William George Ewald II
    March 20, 1943 - May 22, 2015

William George Ewald II of Apex, North Carolina died on May 22, 2015 in Apex. Bill was born in Baltimore, MD on March 20, 1943, the eldest child of George William Ewald and Elinor Furman Boyce. He was raised in Maplewood and Short Hills, New Jersey. He was a graduate of Darrow School in New Lebanon, NY and Middlebury College and also earned a Master's Degree from American University. He interrupted his studies at Middlebury to serve on active duty in the U.S. Army and later served in the U.S. Army Reserves and the National Guard. He began his career at the Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute, followed by the National Institutes of Health and the National Academy of Sciences. He next taught in Maryland and North Carolina before joining the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in Research Triangle Park, NC where he worked as toxicologist for over twenty years before his retirement in 2005.

Bill is survived by his children, Eric Andrew Ewald of Cary, NC, Douglas Edward Ewald of Asheville, NC, Sarah Elizabeth Ewald and Elyse Shaw Ewald, both of Apex, NC; his sisters, Carol Ewald Bowen (James) of Charlotte, NC and Lise Ewald of Northfield, VT; his nephews, Matthew, Collin and Benjamin Albury and Kyle and Andrew Bowen; his aunt, Elizabeth Ewald Opie, and many cousins.

He was predeceased by his parents and his sister, Margaret Marie Ewald. Bill had a life-long love of sailing and after his retirement enjoyed spending time on his sailboat and as a volunteer with the U.S. Coast Guard auxiliary. We will miss his great laugh, his wit and intelligence, his love for his children and family, and his quiet loyalty and faith. He and his family and friends were fortunate to have one last special week together to say goodbye and to share many great stories and memories.

A memorial service will be held at St. Paul's Episcopal Church, 221 Union St., Cary, NC 27511 on June 20, 2015 at 1pm. The family will receive friends immediately following the service.

In lieu of flowers, the family suggests that memorial contributions may be made to Darrow School, http://www.darrowschool.org/supportdarrow/supportdarrow or to the Disabled Veterans Charitable Service Trust http://cst.dav.org/, or to a charity of your choice.

Condolences may be sent to www.ApexFuneral.net

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/di...lliam-Ewald&lc=1015&pid=174922956&mid=6456087

3. AC4RD

Lee, thanks very much--that was very nice of you! Did you know Bill?

4. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

You are welcome, and no I did not have the pleasure of knowing your Friend. My Sincere Condolences in his loss.

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have made a personal fractal memorial for William Ewald, since that was a topic that he was so close to. Does anyone know the resting place of the deceased?

Chip W1YW

6. AC4RD

Hi, Chip! Bill died here in the Raleigh NC area, but the last time I talked to his wife (ex-wife, really), she said he was being cremated, and there was going to be a memorial service up in the Northeast some time this fall when all his family could be present. I don't know where Bill's physical remains are, sorry, or where they will wind up. Were you a pal of Bill's? TNX 73! --ken

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you.

Chip W1YW