Best HF Multiband Vertical Antenna?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Jul 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KC9WUV

KC9WUV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Mine has been up since Dec. 2018 . I have had to replace the wire on the so239 connector . Restring the shock cord once . Other than that it has done me a great job

M1WML likes this.
  2. AB0R

AB0R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wouldn't bother if it took that long to set up, but it doesn't. If I went really slow it would take me 20 minutes to set mine up. I suspect there was something else wrong. It is certainly fast to put up the wire as well, I have a 40-10m efhw that works great as a sloper from my 12m Spiderbeam pole.

M1WML, K6WI and MW1CFN like this.
  3. KD9OQI

KD9OQI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just received mine after listening to many of Callum's YouTubes, and hearing this review. I intend to leave mine up permanently. We shall see:)
    Painted my guy wires bright yellow. May hurt the life of the ropes--we shall see, but they are visible:).
    Chip
    KD9OQI

M1WML likes this.
  4. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

I think age and club mentality had a lot to do with it! Some videos online seem to show inter-element interaction and hence matching instability to a degree, which you can only really expect, but may not necessarily be a 'problem'.

M1WML and AB0R like this.
  5. K6WI

K6WI Ham Member QRZ Page

On your suphogh,orclov="AB0R, post: 5909341, member: 938203"]I wouldn't bother if it took that long to set up, but it doesn't. If I went really slow it would take me 20 minutes to set mine up. I suspect there was something else wrong. It is certainly fast to put up the wire as well, I have a 40-10m efhw that works great as a sloper from my 12m Spiderbeam pole.

73[/QUOTE]
    On your sloper, to you put the transformer on the high end or the low end?

6. AB0R

Low end. You COULD add a counterpoise or even a ground rod etc, but it's not needed for portable use like this IMO.

M1WML and K6WI like this.
  7. AB0R

I see. That could have been a thing. Calum now gives pretty specific recommendations for element placement. I just put them where he said and no problems here.

M1WML and MW1CFN like this.
  8. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The one You Make.

Paul K8PG

M1WML and MW1CFN like this.
  9. K6WI

K6WI Ham Member QRZ Page

That is how I use mine, but I have seen others setup the other way.

10. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Without being remotely QRZ.com-esque, when you say "no problems", have you looked at how the matching turns out with an analyser? And have you looked at any instability introduced by wind due to element interactions? There's at least one video showing poor matching at 12 and 10m. Yes, you can 'ATU' them out, but that's not really very good. You can do that with any not-very-good wire.

M1WML likes this.