ad: Momobeam-1

Best HF Multiband Vertical Antenna?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Jul 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. NN2X

NN2X Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish I had that set up you see on my QRZ Page! ! I had to sell all! My Picture, on QRZ is old..I was about to sell the house, but my son (Adam / KI5FJE) was accepted at 13 years old to an University, (Majoring in EE), so we decided, lets stay another 4 years, same house (Good thing I did house has dramatically gone up in price!)

So I sold all my Ham equipment! So what you see is not there anymore (On my QRZ Page), I have a humble set up...DX Commander, (40-10), and FT 450...I had for a few months the SPE 1K Amp, sold it, for the R&D, of the Mini Quad...

So, that is it!

Thanks for visiting my QRZ Page though! DE NN2X Tom

M1WML likes this.
  2. KG6TR

KG6TR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great antenna, have mine set up for 80-10, can (and have) worked all bands, no tuner other than internal tuner on 80 as that band resonance is fairly narrow. Also have a Lite for portable ops. Bonus for Collum being fantastic to work with and a source for interesting content. The antenna is fun to build and you don't need to scrounge for bits as he's done the scrounging. Also can be HOA-friendly (depending on the HOA) as it is unobtrusive (especially if you or neighbors have trees) and is a "temporary install".

M1WML and VK7HH like this.
  3. N7RD

N7RD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Have had my DXcommander up for about 6 mos now. Mine is for 12,17,30 40. Can work anything I can hear. I did add 3 upper guys and it works fine. Will keep eye on it as here in AZ deserts it can get a bit warm. So far only 118 degs this year so not too bad. Great antenna.

73 Ron N7RD

M1WML and VK7HH like this.
  4. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I used a Cushcraft ATV-5 trapped vertical on a metal roof and it worked very well.

M1WML and K0UO like this.
  5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Best HF Vertical

I have a Vertical polarized Rhombic Optimize for 40 meters and above, mounted at 170 feet. It also works on 160 and 80.

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire in the Air & On the daily

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    PU2OZT, K8XG, UT7UX and 3 others like this.
  6. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Callum said to put a pipe inside the base after removing the cap. Sounded good at first but after looking at one I understood just how much stress your putting on it guyed or not. Between that and it needing guys put me off it. I am not a fan of guys but in a portable op I don't think its a big problem.
    I had a 40' milspec mast drop because a deer decided to bolt right into one guy. That wood rat was after the garden but got more than he bargained for with the dog. He made sure I paid the price for it on the way out. Haven't like using guys since unless steel cable. Even than a 120# wood rat full speed could shake things pretty good. Not much of an issue on Callums Island I guess.

M1WML likes this.
  7. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that the first time I ever heard a vertical rhombic, was on the Pacific
    Maritime Service talking with Roger on 21.412 (W1VDE)

Rhombics are the ultimate wire antennas.

M1WML likes this.
  8. AB0R

AB0R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, but can you put into a small bag for transport and be on the air within 10 minutes? Plus, Rhombics are so old. :)

M1WML and AK5B like this.
  9. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Best vertical ever? Nope, just the latest to make your "feel goods" elevate after spending the money. Nothing new here, the "best" vertical ever has a long rich history dating at least back to the 60s:

70431D85-497D-4C58-883D-B0C0B4485D38.jpeg

I can work DX too when the band is open - with a wire strung between two trees. Making contacts is NOT a measure of efficiency, it's a measure of band conditions. Anything can make contacts given the right circumstances.

KR3DX, WA8FOZ, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  10. G4YTK

G4YTK Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad you are still pleased with your DXC. I have had mine up since early April. I am very pleased with it. I concreted a 1 metre pole in the ground, removed the cap on the base of the DXC and slipped it over the pole and just use 3 lower guys I also concreted 3 large camping pegs in the ground . I have buried my 5 bunches of radials. It works very well, I am so pleased I spent just over £200 on it, I nearly sent £500 on a Gap, so pleased I did not.

PA1ZT, M1WML and VK7HH like this.