ad: MLSons-1

Behind the QSOs: W8S Swains Island DXpedition with Max NG7M

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, Dec 28, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W1DED_056_W8S_team.jpg
    Max George NG7M was one of the ten W8S ham radio operators to activate Swains Island in October 2023. Despite elaborate planning that spanned years and continents, their path included damaged crates, missing gear, delayed boat transport, debilitating illness, relentless mosquitoes and unbearable, sweltering heat. With thousands of QSO's in their logs, and the team safely back home, Max talks about some of the highs and lows of the 2023 Swains Island DXpedition. If you've ever wondered what needed to happen to get W8S in your log, listen to Max tell his story in this short video interview.

AF0F, KR3DX, W7VC and 7 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Another great W1DED video;-)

K8LJM and W1DED like this.
  3. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agree. Very well done. Good content.

W1DED likes this.
  4. VU2JO

VU2JO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks a lot for the vivid descriptions. Felt as if we had accompanied them! 73 de VU2JO.

AK5B and W1DED like this.
  5. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! I missed this one! and never heard much about this one at all. I'm getting to the point in my ham career in my 46 years of hamming, I'm not much of a dx'er at all. I've got well over 320 worked and confirmed.

AK5B, W1DED and VU2JO like this.
  6. DL5RBW

DL5RBW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your efforts to make Swains Atoll available around the peak of the sunspot cycle. I wished that more emphasis would have put on 28 MHz operation. I heard you one morning (weekend - the only chance for the non retirees, hi) working Italians on 28 MHz SSB and just needed another 10 minutes before the band would have been good enough to have a good copy however the station then went QSY to 12 m FT8 operation. The few evenings on CW have been during the week but these evening openings have been almost nonexistent for Central/Eastern EU. Western EUs on the other hand had the better chance at this time of the day.
    Anyhow no complaints from my side just an observation as in my opinion 10 m should be top priority during the peak of the sunspot cycle especially if the pile-up is running and the band just started to open up for the rest of Europe.
    5W and other signals around KH8 have been loud almost daily on 28 MHz during the period of the W8S activity.

73 Roger, DL5RBW

AK5B, VU2JO and W1DED like this.
  7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

320 what?

8. M0TTQ

M0TTQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A very slick operation on the air despite the hiccups. I got them on 15m SSB and CW within 20 minutes. The beach I was sitting on to make it a park-to-park was considerably less warm than their one!

AK5B, VU2JO and W1DED like this.
  9. WH6LU

WH6LU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, a great DXPEDITION !!
    Next time 6m.....

KX1MAD, AK5B, W1DED and 1 other person like this.
  10. K4EAK

K4EAK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For any DXpedition, there seem to be a surprising number of people who grouse about all the things the team did wrong. Obviously, the Bouvet DXpedition seems to draw the most flak. After watching this video, and seeing all that goes into a DXpedition that was, in Max's terms, merely a "2" on a 10-point scale of difficulty (yikes!), it is clear testimony to the point that the perennial scolds have no idea what they're talking about and should be ignored, and all of us need to be a lot more grateful for what these guys do for the hobby. Thanks for posting this. 73 Skip K4EAK

KR3DX and VU2JO like this.
  11. VU2JO

VU2JO Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't agree with you better! Even a simple local portable operation has its own challenges, leave alone DXpeditions on remote Islands.

73 de Jon, VU2JO.

KR3DX and W1DED like this.
  12. PG2W

PG2W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice to see and hear from Swains, tnx!! Enjoyed the interview!

W1DED likes this.
  13. PG2W

PG2W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

should be: about Swains...

14. KC4BPD

KC4BPD Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand, tnx for all of your hard work…Craig, KK7KSC

VU2JO likes this.
  15. W6APH

W6APH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Enjoyed the video and the great job that they did. Thank you all for the chance to get you in my log. Arthur, W6APH

VU2JO likes this.