ad: QSLWorks-1

Battle of Kings Mountain Special Event - K4M - 10/1-10/7

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4OVT, Sep 28, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KR4EE

KR4EE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks I have ancestors who fought in that Battle - will try to contact. Jilly

2. KZ4TN

KZ4TN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Marc: Just got back from a visit to Sycamore Shoals Park to scope out a POTA site. I plan on activating a couple or maybe three days next week. I'll be looking for you on the air.
    Thanks,
    Steve, KZ4TN

3. KQ4KDE

KQ4KDE Ham Member QRZ Page

Marc, my name is Daniel from Danville Ky. KQ4KDE. My 6th great grandfather fought at Kings mt. His name was John Benedict. He later became governor ok Ky.

4. KQ4KDE

KQ4KDE Ham Member QRZ Page

5. W4OVT

W4OVT QRZ Lifetime Member #738 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Added to the K4M QRZ Page:
    Patrick Ferguson to the women of North Carolina on 1 Oct 1780, a week prior to the Battle of Kings Mountain. Denard’s Ford was near Gilbert Town, where Ferguson was stationed before he marched to Kings Mountain:

"Unless you wish to be eat up by an inundation of barbarians, who have begun, by murdering the unarmed son before the aged father, and afterward lopped off his arms, and who by their shocking cruelty and irregularities, give the best proof of their cowardice and want of discipline: I say, if you wish to be pinioned, robbed and murdered, and to see your wives and daughters in four days abused by the dregs of mankind in short, if you wish or deserve to live and bear the name of man, grasp you arms in a moment and run to camp. The Backwater men have crossed the mounts, McDowell, Hampton, Shelby, and Cleveland, are at their head so that you know what you have to depend upon. If you choose to be pissed upon for ever and ever, by a set of Mongrels, say so at once, and let your women turn their backs upon you and look out for real men to protect them."
    Can imagine the response from the hardened frontiersmen "Dem's fightin' words!"

6. W4OVT

KR4EE Jilly - Congrats on your Check-in yesterday during Activation #1 on 40m. Interesting Chet Atkins video on your QRZ page!

KZ4TN Steve - Excellent! Hope you have the chance to hear Chad Bogart perform "the story" in first person - he is a-mazing! Look forward to working you with hopes to have a K4M POTA station activating from Sycamore Shoals in 2024 - let's talk!

KQ4KDE Daniel - Nice to greet you during Activation #2 last evening and learn of your ancestor John Benedict who was pals with Issac Shelby, both joining with their men to the larger group of Militia led by Col Williams. I show that in 1775 John owned a large tract of land, 120 acres, in Augusta County, VA where many Overmountain Men would join Virginia Col Campbell at the Muster in Abington, VA onwards to the larger Muster at Sycamore Shoals, TN.

Looking forward to today's first K4M Activation on 20m on/near 14.287MHz USB later this morning ET.
    HUZZA!!!

7. KC5JSR

KC5JSR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

8. KB6WJA

KB6WJA Ham Member QRZ Page

Marc thanks for keeping history alive! Always appreciate learning about the history that usually not taught in schools. Keep up the good work!

Chris KB6WJA

9. KI4YTV

KI4YTV Ham Member QRZ Page

CHECKED IN ALREADY, GREAT JOB

10. W4OVT

Chris KB6WJA - Thanks for your comment and nice to hear from you again!
    Ed KI4YTV - Got you in the Activation #1 Log - thank you for your Check-in and kind comment - much appreciated!

Re: Logs, Activations 1 - 6 Logsheets are viewable here:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XbNhSgy0DAEA2YSoANeXHl-7scw3U8-a?usp=sharing

For Thursday, October 5th, getting ready to activate on 20m 14.288MHz at 2:30PM ET and again this evening on 40m, frequency TBD - join us on 20m now!

11. KA0SOH

KA0SOH Ham Member QRZ Page

My ancestral grandfather was actuaolly thee for the battle and many others, serving as Washington's adjunctant. So, I'm doubly anxious to sign into the event but to date I have not heard you whatsoever.

12. W4OVT

HUZZA!!! Update #1
    100% of all requested QSL cards have been mailed.
    If you have not yet requested your K4M QSL Card, please do so ASAP following instructions on the K4M QRZ page.
    A record K4M turnout was welcomed this year with >50% requesting QSL Cards.

HUZZA!!! Update #2
    In the message (above) a link was provided for individual Activations 1-12 Logsheets
    In this message the supplied link (below) contains two .pdf files:

2023_K4M Callsign Sorted - presents a list of all Checkins sorted alphabetically by Callsign
    2023_K4M Total Checkins Sorted - presents a total of K4M Checkins for those who participated in more than (1) one activation
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1J4qX4wwivqgMvsOzVWVhYLaQditVYmfH?usp=sharing

HUZZA!!! Update #3
    The following insert was included in the K4M QSL Card mailings announcing (NEW) Special Event Callsign K4C for The Battle of Cowpens which followed The Battle of Kings Mountain by a brief (3) three months and would result in yet another humiliating, significant setback for British Commander Lord Cornwallis's strategic plan.

[​IMG]
    HUZZA!!! Update #4
    The exciting 2024 SES proposed agenda (below) honors pivotal American Revolution Southern Campaign Victories that led British Commander in the Colonies, Sir Henry Clinton, to describe as a "Chain of Evils" that led to Great Britain's "Total Loss of America."

(NEW) K4C - The Battle of Cowpens - January 16th-18th
    (NEW) K4G - The Battle of Guilford Courthouse - March 14th-16th
    K4M - The Battle of Kings Mountain - October 1st-7th
    (NEW) K4Y - The Siege of Yorktown - October 17th-20th

HUZZA Update #5
    Ever heard of the word "Semiquincentennial" or the simpler equivalent "Sestercentennial" or even simpler 'Quarter Millennial?"
    Well then, you are hearing these terms here for the first time, words that will be popularized in the next 600+ days until July 4, 2025 which on that day we will celebrate America's 250th Anniversary of Independence.
    How can we as Hams participate in this Celebration?
    Another Special Event Station of course!
    Welcome to the Official Announcement of Amateur Radio's Celebration of America's 250th Birthday - dates/callsign TBD.

Call To Arms
    For these Historical Special Event Stations to happen, Volunteers are essential.

Whether or not you have previous Net Control experience, you can help "Keep These Stories Alive."

Indeed, there is only one question "Do you think what is being done here is important?"
    If "YES!" send an email with a proposed chat date/time(s).

Last but not least, a special note of thanks to the QRZ Staff for your promotional support...we'll be back in January 2024!

Marc - W4OVT

mailto:marc@w4ovt.org

[​IMG]