ad: portazero-1

Automotive Industry migrates to 48V electrical system

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5TXR, Mar 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Holmes WAS a poster child for "inventers" long before 2019, though. So it IS important that there are NOT modern day versions of Holmes drifting towards releasing Grand Theft Venture Fund in five years - regardless of how altruistic or groundbreaking their "invention" may be presented.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope.

Her flaws and her downfall are separate from invention. It's not who inventors 'are'. Pegging her as an 'inventor' --in this context--draws an inference that is untrue and harmful to 100,000 's of inventors in this country.

Drawing that conclusion is like saying that songwriters are likely to shoot presidents (the singular case with Hinckley shooting President Reagan).

It's just silly....

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip: Please don't twist my words. I wasn't attacking you, what you posted, your accomplishments, or your profession.

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

And I didnt take it that way: my point is that the fact that she is an inventor is separate from the notion that she is a flawed person.

OK:)?

5. N8NU

N8NU Ham Member QRZ Page

Ford went to aluminum bodies to meet new fuel-efficiency standards for trucks.

It actually costs hundreds of dollars more to make the body of aluminum.

6. K7IQ

K7IQ Ham Member QRZ Page

KD7YVV, that doesn't make sense to not parallel or series PV modules. Maybe these particular ones do not have integral bypass diodes as do most modules ?

You can parallel similar modules with same number of cells. You're supposed to use series fuses or breakers if paralleling more than two so if one shorts, the other panels don't gang up and overheat them or their wires.

For series, the bypass diodes fix any problems where one PV modules should get shaded and current would otherwise try to go in reverse.

I do HF mobile mainly because there is too much EMI in my neighborhood. But electric vehicles like Teslas are VERY noisy and NO way could I get my HF rig to work in one of those ! I have a friend with HF in his Chevy Volt hybrid and it works pretty well actually... Not quite as good as it could but not bad.

Think I may have to get another Honda and maybe I better do that quickly before I can't get an ICE vehicle before long !

Not sure how well Toyotas are for EMI ? Anybody know ? I know that GM are supposed to be quiet.

boB K7IQ

7. VK6APZ/SK2022

VK6APZ/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

I have it here at my place
    VK6APZ Peter.

Attached Files:

8. KD7YVV

KD7YVV Ham Member QRZ Page

That was my thought since the panels are quite flat. I mean, aren't solar panels meant to be used in series or parallel?
    Now on 48v cars, changing the entire system would be one hell of a nightmare and you'd have 12v systems for decades to come
    still running. 2020 will be here in less than a year, and I'm sure cars of that model year will still have a 12v battery.
    Cars today can last 20-25 years and even longer if maintained properly. I guess on paper it looks good, but the implementation will be hell.
    I've never seen or been in an electric car, nor have I searched youtube for HF radios in electric cars showing the noise etc.
    We have so much electrical hash and noise now with cheaply made wall warts etc. and other electronic items that it's a wonder HF works at all.
    I'm sure that once a 48v car comes out there will be DC-DC converters to step down the voltage to be compatible with a lot if not the majority
    of equipment already in the marketplace. As Scotty said, the more the complicate the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.
    While cars have gotten more fuel efficient and mileage has improved, sometimes simple is best.

K7IQ likes this.
  9. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

SWER was used for highway lighting. The show came when the supply wire fell across a steel guardrail. Each upright had a blue glow where it entered the dirt.
    Mike N3PM

10. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

No more or less common than when any utility high voltage conductor falls on something. Exact same potential for destruction, chaos, and death.

11. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What is the second, lower wire on the right - a ground?

12. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have actually seen a 48V automotive battery at an industry car show about 20 years ago.

At that time it was about twice as long as today's batteries but about 1/3 the cross section.

From the info I can gather, a 3.0L V6 requires 170A of starter current at approx. 11 volts of battery voltage during cranking, so let's round it up for cold weather starting and say it takes 2kW of electrical power to activate the starter and crank the engine.

At 45 volts of battery voltage during starting (for a 48 volt battery), this same engine will take the same 2kW of starting power, but I = 2kW/45 Volts = ~ 45 Amps or about 0.26 X the current at 12V.

This means smaller current conductors (wires) which means slightly lower electrical system weights.

Recall that after starting, it's the alternator that supplies the vehicle's electrical loads, which also means that with a 48V system, the alternator can be smaller as well.

Pheel

13. VK6APZ/SK2022

Yes that is correct.

Peter VK6APZ

14. VK6APZ/SK2022

Out in the country areas it all the same here, not sure why the went to this system.
    Problem living out here is power outages because we have poor maintenance.
    Power out 6 times in 9 days, the last one was 23 hours and power just came on.

Peter VK6APZ.

15. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

VK6APZ: "Yes that is correct."

So, not exactly "SWER" ....

(The file name is "2 lines" too.)

Det. Sherlock Holmes: "Do words mean things, Watson?"

K8MHZ likes this.