ad: Flexradio-1

Automatic number sequencer for contesting?

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KN2D, Mar 31, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KN2D

KN2D Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked a station today in the WPX contest and it sounded like when he replied with my contact serial number (i.e. - "thank you, you're 59-1432", "thank you, you're 59-1433", "thank you, you're 59-1434", "thank you, you're 59-1435"), it sounded like the sequence numbers were autogenerated.

Is there software that does that?

2. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

was it his voice or computer generated?
    I use winlog and after just looking it will generate a log number -no synth-voice though
    Betting most good log programs will generate a contact number that increments for contesting, so will fldigi for its modes

3. KN2D

KN2D Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It definitely sounded like his voice, set up to provide a sequentially increased log number for each contact.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

He's probably just a very seasoned contester that's all.

Dave
    W7UUU

KN2D likes this.
  5. W8TJM

W8TJM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have worked operators using a synthesized voice so the technology is out there. Not sure what the source is however.

KN2D likes this.
  6. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Most, if not all contest logging programs will do the next serial increment thing. It's an integral part of some contests, enough so that it is a standard in the programs.

I use N3FJP and N1MM logging programs and both of them will do the serial number increment.

So, I enter a call, hit "space" or "tab and the software automatically fills in the serial number for that contact and it keeps on doing that until I tell it to stop. Yes, I do read out the serial number but I have read some articles that show how even that can be automated if you have the ability to program it into your logging program.

I'd guess, based on my experience, that nearly all contest operators do the same. I have actually heard the "robo voice" on the air once or twice, so I know that some folks are doing it, but not the majority by any means.

KN2D likes this.