ad: TinyPaddle-1

Australian Regulator ACMA Releases RFC For Amateur Radio Changes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK3VM, Jun 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. VK3VM

VK3VM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Everyone,

The Australian Regulator, The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) has released discussion papers relating to proposed changes to Australian Amateur Licensing Conditions.

Ref: https://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/proposed-changes-to-amateur-licence-conditions

These changes do not affect just Australian Amateurs but all Amateurs Internationally; one of the key tenets of AR is that we communicate with other like-minded and qualified individuals and often across borders.

The major discussion points (including legislation proposed) can be summarised as withdrawing access to 3.6G (a band commonly used by Satellite, Moon-and Meteor-bouncers) as well as reducing "Red Tape".

As I state these changes affect not only Australian Amateurs - but all Amateurs Internationally - so everyone should take note of these proposed changes (that many Australian Amateurs feel are fait-accompli).

If one fees strongly -Australian or Not - then representation should be made with evidence to the contact details provided by the end of the first week in August. The ACMA takes great credence in adhering to International agreements (and this is evident in the documentation).

Representation from International Amateurs, with evidence, would also be useful for the argument that we are having extreme difficulties with relating to increasing Advanced Licensees Power levels to 1500W - an accepted SAFE International HF Standard. A poorly conducted trial was conducted in the past with conclusions drawn off invalid observations, made from small sample sets.

Please no shooting this messenger. All comments would be highly useful and will form part of many submissions that Amateurs will put in - helping to refine the discussion points with evidence to help all of us and not just Australian AR.

Steve I
    VK3VM / VK3SIR

2. VK3VM

VK3VM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My Position on this posting:

Note that I am a HUGE FAN of the Foundation introductory licence and a HUGE FAN of Foundation-class introductory licenses internationally. Yet I am concerned that a considerable amount of focus is evident for increasing rights for Foundation-licence holders - especially with regards to access to Digital and Internet connected modes and "protected bands" such as 20m.

I will declare that I am not in favour of allowing any form of Digital communication access for Introductory Licence holders. Nor am I in favour of proposals that I have heard from internal contacts to give Foundation-class licensees access to 20m. Syllabus changes to allow access to digital modes would take the sphere of the Foundation Licence beyond its original intent - as a taster with a drive to leading education and learning. The aim of "Foundation"-class licenses is to offer "tasters" so that candidates are driven to move forward, when competent and ready, to use more advanced modes with greater rights. Giving "too much" for what many of us have had to work and study hard just dumbs-down our technical aspect to our hobby/

Many International Devices that internet linked systems are connected to use bands that Australian Foundation Licensees will not have access to anyway. This creates therefore an international regulatory issue (despite International Conventions) with Australian Foundation Licence holders potentially joining such networks.

Note that there is already enough misunderstanding with Digital-Voice modes with DMR-MARC, Brandmeister, DMR+ and P25 just amongst the very competent Standard and Advanced Amateurs in Australia.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  3. VK6NO

VK6NO Ham Member QRZ Page

I am also concerned with the document presented for discussion by the ACMA as going way beyond the reasons of even having 3 classes of licenses.

It appears if this is accepted as various people want I must ask why we are even studying for anything but a Foundation licence.

Let’s look at a few things being looked at.

1. All 3 licences should be ok using 400 watts power. This would increase a Foundation licence from 10 watts to 400 a multiplier of 40 times the current level.

2. Standard licence from 100 to 400 a multiplier of 4 times the current level.

3. Advanced licensee 400 watts and increase of ZERO as perhaps our knowledge of Amateur Radio has become worthless.
    Now wanting to increase the Foundation license to be able to build, use all digital modes, be given more bands etc becomes a huge issue over the current system of learn as you go and progress up the ladder.

Sorry Steve but I don’t want 1500 watts, it would be nice but let’s just settle for the 1000 we have been requesting for years.

I also have no problems with the Foundation license but I am a strong supporter of study hard and reap the benefits attitude.

Your article does reflect that all Amateur Radio operators will be affected so I really hope you get a few thousand hits so you can present the fair view of all HAMS.

Cheers Lindsay VK6NO

VK6ATS and VK6APZ/SK2022 like this.
  4. VK4WDM

VK4WDM Ham Member QRZ Page

5. VK4WDM

VK4WDM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am in agreement with the idea of adding digital modes to the foundation license. For the survival of AR we need to attract the young generation. They already live and work in a digital world and a lot of them are more knowledgeable and competent in that world than many of us who have standard or advanced licenses. So we say to them "come and join our wonderful hobby of ham radio but the bad news is you can only transmit using old-fashioned analogue modes until you get a higher grade of license." That does not make any sense at all.

Wayne VK4WDM (on the air since 1963 and seen plenty of changes since then).

6. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is remarkably similar to the petition requests going around, or it's the same thing, not sure. If it's the same 'proposal' who is making the petition requests? And more importantly, I'd love to see an actual reprint of the proposal to determine for myself what it's saying. I'm afraid it's gotten to the point that I have reservations about ANY petition requests, and the motives behind them. "Put up, or shut up!"

7. VK5SA

VK5SA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have uploaded a submission along the same lines as the posts from Steve and Lindsay.
    Chris VK5SA

VK6APZ/SK2022 likes this.
  8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems rather ridiculous to be stuck with an ancient 400W rule when there is a ham amplifier manufacturer in country producing 1200W to over 4500W capable amps.

http://www.emtron.com.au/

VK6APZ/SK2022 likes this.
  9. VK6HIL

VK6HIL Ham Member QRZ Page

If we bring Digital Modes into the Foundation level it will help immensely. I fail to see how the Standard level for example qualifies you to plug your rig into a computer for FT8 over Foundation. Amateur Radio can draw those in who already tinker with computers, Raspberry Pi's etc if we give them something to whet their appetite. Just providing a licence to chat only on the airwaves is not enough in 2019.

Amateur Radio is perceived as an "old mans" hobby and we need to kill that image if we want new blood to come into it. We need only 2 levels now - Foundation with Digital and more power and Advanced with all the privileges. The numbers just aren't there to support 3 levels now.