ad: QSLWorks-1

Assembling and testing the Hy-Gain AV-680 9 band HF antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Nov 21, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

This was a nice weekend project for an antenna that was well worth it.

W6ERM, W8JVN, KG5ILR and 14 others like this.
  2. KK4WTE

KK4WTE Ham Member QRZ Page

good job. Ric kkk4wte

3. WA5WA

WA5WA QRZ Lifetime Member #111 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

A good antenna, I do have Hy-gain AV 640 and happy with my AV-640 and nice video too

W9UU likes this.
  4. KT5OT

KT5OT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

i thought about buying one last year but lack of very few reviews good or bad is never a good sign on any product!
    im still debating the purchase

5. TA2EJ

TA2EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like a good antenna and thanks for nice video,,,,

6. K7BJS

K7BJS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

NICE JOB, THANKS FOR YOUR WORK ON THIS..

VA7LTX likes this.
  7. KD4EOO

KD4EOO Ham Member QRZ Page

Enjoyed your video of this project. Once you raise the lower radials to the eight foot level maybe the 20 m portion may be in better resonance. It was great to hear the on air reports also.
    Kd4eoo

8. KG0MN

KG0MN Ham Member QRZ Page

It was a nice video, but please refrain from using words like "Okay" and "You know". When these words are over used people and myself will be more worried listening for you to use the words again and not paying attention to what your subject is.

9. W8ASA

W8ASA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Your previous one fell into a 13KV power line? Really? Did I understand correctly? I sure hope not. Don't EVER put up an antenna or tower that can contact the power lines no matter how it falls.

10. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice video, excellent descriptions. I've heard good comments about the 640/680 designs. Tnx. b. Every ham should try to have both a vertical and horizontal antenna to take advantage of the best propagation path at the moment!

N0YPD and KG5ILR like this.
  11. PP8DA

PP8DA Ham Member QRZ Page

I liked your description of the assembly. I use the AV-640 and it is a really detailed job with lots of small detail adjustments,
    Hope you will enjoy 73s de PP8DA

12. WB9FUB

WB9FUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I also bought this same antenna. I installed it on a detached garage roof. Followed all the instructions carefully including pre-trimming the radials for 40 and 80 meters. I contacted HyGain and they said to follow trim instructions for the AV-640. Using a similar antenna analyzer I logged 3.5:1 for 20m, inf. on 40m, 2.2:1 on 15m and 1.6:1 on 10m. I think 80m was high as well. So far not the pleased with this antenna. I wanted it for 40 & 80 meters. With an antenna tuner I can lower the VSWR. Instructions for tuning could have been clearer.

13. GM4JPZ

GM4JPZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the time you spent on making this video. It's interesting to watch, and - who knows - might encourage people to put one together. 73 de Colin, GM4JPZ