ad: Schulman-1

ARRL Drops Testing Fee to $5 For Those Under 18

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AJ6BC, Oct 20, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AJ6BC

AJ6BC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello All - I thought this deserved it's own thread since the more I spread the word - the more I find out a lot are not aware of this just yet:

( -> details here: https://www.arrl.org/what-to-bring-to-an-exam-session )

From the ARRL: (If you're not a VE yet - please consider becoming one - it's a great and rewarding way to volunteer!):

Candidates younger than 18-years old will pay a reduced exam session fee of $5 to the ARRL VEC VE team when taking an exam. Proper identification must be presented to and verified by the team, per the procedures for all exam candidates (what to bring to an exam session). Test Report displaying the youth fee information is available. An interactive version of the report is also offered.

Additionally, ARRL will cover the one-time $35 application fee for new license candidates younger than 18-years old for tests administered under the ARRL VEC. The $35 FCC application fee will be reimbursed after the ARRL receives the completed grant reimbursement form and the new license has been issued by the FCC. The reimbursement check will be mailed to the fee payer listed on the form.

Again - spread the word!

73's,
    John
    AJ6BC

KO4CES, N4FZ, KC3TEC and 10 others like this.
  2. N9WFT

N9WFT Ham Member QRZ Page

This is great news! I wish I was 17 now, with the radio knowledge I have now lol.

N4FZ and KF0FBK like this.
  3. K5YDD

K5YDD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

About time...

KH6JIM, N4FZ, WH6LU and 1 other person like this.
  4. KF0FBK

KF0FBK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

At 17, ham radio wasn't the first thing that was on my mind. :D

N9DRY, W4MMR, N4FZ and 9 others like this.
  5. N9WFT

I think I get your drift. Lol “ Chantilly lace, and a pretty face...And a ponytail hanging down. A wiggle and a walk “ - Jerry Lee Lewis. Lol

KQ1V likes this.
  6. AA3C

AA3C XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not bad but I'd rather see them drop membership fees for first time members to the ARRL below the current crazy level.

W5TSC, W4TRK and K5YDD like this.
  7. KD9QMH

KD9QMH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for sharing. My 12 year old is studying as we speak for her technician license.

W5TSC, N4FZ, AD7SK and 5 others like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I would bet that some other test groups will reduce the cost to $1:)

The ARRL did a great thing but they should have taken it further,IMO.

$1 for under 18... let's go there.

W5TSC, KH6JIM, NL7W and 2 others like this.
  9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

"Chantilly Lace" is a 1958 rock and roll song by The Big Bopper.

In January 1972, Jerry Lee Lewis recorded a version of "Chantilly Lace" at the Mercury studio in Nashville.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chantilly_Lace_(song)#

As many of you know The Big Bopper was killed in a small plane crash along with Buddy Holly and others the basis for the song American Pie by Don McLean.

KR3DX likes this.
  10. N9WFT

All of this is entirely correct. But I have never heard Big Bopper version. I have research to as I am a young pup, born in 1963 lol. I will pull up Big Bopper version on internet Net to be enlightened

K7FD and K3XR like this.
  11. N9WFT

Just played Big Bopper version on internet. I like this version much better. Sorry Jerry Lee Lewis, you are ok.... But Big Bopper is king! Lol

K3XR likes this.
  12. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nor mine.

At 17, I'd been a ham for 4 years and an Extra for a year.

73 de Jim, N2EY

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

To me, this is a second powerful financial step to lowering the barriers that keep young people from becoming radio amateurs in the US: the first was the QRZed/Gigaparts HT giveaway to new (young) hams.

I wish we could get more of the clubs talking, here, about what 'works' to get young hams, now that the money issue may be less of a barrier. There is quite a bit of success happening but others (including old fogies like me) aren't hearing it. We'd really like to know and really like to, in many cases, help.

What works?
    Chip W1YW

W5TSC and K0UO like this.
  14. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

About doggone time, should have done this in the first place......

15. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This should be a good thing.