ad: portazero-1

ARRL: Commercial Interests Petition FCC for High Power Allocation on Shortwave Spectrum

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NF6E, Jul 12, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

If it is encrypted who knows what they send - who controls the key? Sounds like a legalized spy-net that the US can not turn off once it is running.

2. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

If it is encrypted who knows what they send - who controls the key? Sounds like a legalized spy-net that the US can not turn off once it is running.

3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

ok, you have made your point. kinda funny how that posted 8 times!

codes are allowed on commercial frequencies.

4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks, the link worked for me.

Yes it was a surprisingly positive article and so were the comments - on the surface. However I was dismayed that there was no mention of interference potential to other HF users like aeronautics, military, etc. This leaves the impression that it is only little hobbyists complaining, obviously unimportant and politically powerless by typical Wall St standards.

Sorry to be negative, but in that light, it can be read as a sympathetic human interest story about quaint, antiquated and doomed hobbyists trying in vain to hold back the latest wonderful financial wizardry.

K0UO and APILO like this.
  5. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The reporter was looking for sources. Couldn’t really find any. I cannot talk to the press about financial issues (employment restriction) so I couldn’t help either despite knowing a lot about arbitrage and why latency matters.

K0UO and APILO like this.
  6. N2RJ

That would be the IARU since ham radio is affected. They need to complain to their ITU region. IARU successfully squashed the attempted heist of the 2 meter band so they have experience.

7. N2RJ

Jim’s video contained quite a few inaccuracies and his comments said they were trading bitcoin(???) on HF. This couldn’t be further from the truth.

They’re trading traditional securities and they’re using the latency advantage to lock in pricing before it changes. They used to set up short haul fiber in NJ and then went to microwave.

Microwave doesn’t cover long distances well so they’re looking to HF. They have to cover Chicago, NJ (NYC) and Frankfurt (Germany). Maybe a few others. That’s quite a distance to do microwave. That’s the long and short of it.

Yes they may be using this for crypto but it’s used for traditional forex as well.

It’s a controversial practice as is HFT in general with (primarily European) regulators taking a hard look at the practice. The financial conduct authority in the UK did a study and estimates that it costs regular traders around 5 billion per year.

https://www.shortform.com/blog/latency-arbitrage/

Low latency is the next best thing to having a crystal ball and it’s an arms race since everyone is buying up NJ office space and using microwave.

K0UO and N0TZU like this.
  8. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

No, I believe the antennas and some of the research/equipment is being done by our good friends at SteppIR.

K0UO likes this.
  9. NE0S

NE0S QRZ Lifetime Member #418 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

10. NE0S

Hi ALL,

11. NE0S

All hams should oppose this. There are numerous items in the study that should raise eyebrows for anyone with low power operating next to, no surrounded by high power stations. Our reference point in the US for high power in a mere 1. 5kw. The commercial powers if the FCC falls for this are huge. There are so many technical flaws in their arguments. Take the following:
    Skycast achieved these results through the use of an active interference avoidance system built into its 2-25 MHz Band transmit and receive subsystems. The interference avoidance system utilizes “listen before transmit” (LBT) functionality, monitors real time signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), and includes station identification capability to prevent interference scenarios.

Most of us study propagation (or should). Propagation is different directionally, i.e propagation to a place east will not be the same as propagation from that place to the west. I can't say how many times I have listened to a frequency, and then sent out a QRL to find that I would be pouncing all over a QSO that I couldn't detect. Further, the harmonics at the power levels the commercial companies would use could be huge to us. I for one don't want to find out

I don't ever like the idea of being surrounded. Basically, 160 to 20 or 15 meters would be surrounded by large companies with unlimited resources. Talk about David and Goliath!

I hope that the ARRL comes out swinging before this gets too far. I hope and believe the ARRL is less susceptible to money interests than the FCC. I do trust the decisions from the FCC much less when big bucks are involved. Haven't those trading companies heard of hard wire and fiber? No worries about the sunspots or propagation with hard wired comms.

I am a No for this and wanted to say so immediately upon reading the proposal.

12. NE0S

Maybe we should stop buying SteppIR antennas

W9LRM and K0UO like this.
  13. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ria, no. the IARU would be just one of the complainers - this would not be "just ham radio"...this deployment can impact any user of the HF spectum, right ? Military ? Commercial? Aviation? Amateur? And because HF propagates, this is a global issue.

N0TZU likes this.
  14. KM5L

KM5L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you were close to the receiving side, 1kw would certainly interfere.

15. VE6CYT

VE6CYT Ham Member QRZ Page

Like all other banks, why not just use the internet?