ad: QSLWorks-1

Are You Ready for CQ WPX? The Contest Crew Tells You How

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, Mar 13, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W1DED_084_CONTEST07_Thumbnail06.jpg
    Have you ever wondered how the best operators prepare for a major ham radio contest? In this episode of the Contest Crew, radiosport champs Randy K5ZD, Dan N6MJ, Chris KL9A, and Scott K0MD talk about their plans and preparation for the upcoming CQ WPX SSB weekend (March 30-31). The hour-long conversation covered a lot of ground from what to do the weeks before a contest, the 24-hour buildup to the 0000 UTC start, their WPX operating tips and the final post contest wrap-up.

AK9TX, N7MOT, NN6U and 4 others like this.
  2. NT0D

NT0D Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

March is great for voice contesting. ARRL DX, NA SSB Sprint, CQ WPX SSB. This is the month!

N7MOT and W1DED like this.
  3. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Since it is Easter weekend I will be doing a limited time operation. If the band is open most likely 10 M LP using my club call KS7AR

W9GOS, W1DED and N7MOT like this.
  4. WH6LU

WH6LU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll be on the hunt for those elusive/ uncommon entities.

KE0GXN, W1DED, N7MOT and 1 other person like this.
  5. W3HKK

W3HKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Great program. Thoroughly enjoy reading the mail. Love contesting and hearing how others approach it.

Look forward to tuning in to many more!

Amen to the penalties. Those log check computers are merciless!

Bob
    W3HKK since 1956.
    82 yo.
    ex: F7AL-5A3TG-9G1GS-W3HKK/PY8-W3HKK/PS7-W3HKK/SM7

PS was 9G1GS in Takoradi, Ghana when Thor Heyerdahl floated by en route to The Americas in 1969. Read the mail for four days before his papyrus raft drifted out of radio range on 15m.

W1DED likes this.
  6. KI4YJL

KI4YJL Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I am very frustrated with CQ WPX as after paying the ARRL and CQ (separately), I am yet to receive my WPX digital certificate (there are no paper certificates) after 2 months. I have sent 4 e-mails to Steve Bolia who runs the CQ WPX award, as well as the ARRL, all of which have been completely unresponsive, and it appears I out ~$80 for an ARRL-sponsored award.

Beware anyone who looks to submit for the CQ WPX award!

7. W8TJM

W8TJM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I normally like to work 15 meters only for contests but with my local solar noise issue on that band now, it might be time to switch to 10 meters for CQ WPX. Not a serious contester here, but it is always interesting to see where in the world your rig and antenna can reach.

W1DED likes this.
  8. N7MOT

N7MOT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the video. This will be my first CQ WPX contest with my shiny new Philippine native license, DU6MOT. I previously operated DU6/N7MOT which generally required repeats except for the really experienced contesters, which slowed down my QSOs a lot. Good luck to everyone. I hope to see you in the contest.

W1DED and DV1XQX like this.
  9. DV1XQX

DV1XQX Ham Member QRZ Page

Very informative! specially for me 1st time go SOLO...

W1DED likes this.
  10. NT0D

NT0D Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In the video, one of the guys said that there is no "unassisted" category, which is true, but there IS a single-op overlay, the "Classic operator" overlay, which only operates for 24 hours (instead of 36) and also is unassisted:

3. Classic Operator (CLASSIC): The entrant will use only one radio and may operate up to 24 of the 48 hours – off times are a minimum of 60 minutes during which no QSO is logged. If the log shows more than 24 hours of operation, only the first 24 hours will be counted for the overlay score. Use of QSO alerting assistance of any kind is prohibited (see rule IX.B) for the duration of contest. Receiving while transmitting is also prohibited.