ad: elecraft

Are you a Real Nerd ?

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by N2LEE, Aug 26, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N2LEE

N2LEE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you are up for a challenge and want to test your metal to see if you know your stuff then check out this trivia quiz. I am working on one specifically on ham radio, but this general computer knowledge is a lot of fun.

WARNING: Some geeks have been known to have fun and actually learn something. :)

https://youtube.com/@nerdgizmos

[​IMG]

2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

There went 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

WR3V and KE0GXN like this.
  3. N2LEE

First, you will Never get back the time that has passed. That is why it is called HISTORY.

How about providing useful input instead of trashing the work and effort I put into helping educate people in a fun and entertaining way?

Come on. Do you have any idea of the time and technology that is behind creating something like this?

4. VK5OHR

VK5OHR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you have confused Nerd with Boffin...

Maybe I'm a Geek or just an engineer, but no goofy nerd.

Here is my RPN Hewlett Packard 41-CX calculator bought new in 1981. Still used every day...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:cool:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
    W8TJM, N3RYB and K6CLS like this.
  5. N2LEE

WOW, very cool. I remember those. You got the fully loaded model too. :)
    This stuff changes so fast I worry about the human race's is ability to absorb the rate things are being developed.

VK5OHR likes this.
  6. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you legitimately embarking on this endeavor to “educate people in a fun and entertaining way”?

Or….

Are your intentions to soon become the next Ham Tuber sensation, begging/pimping the audience for likes, subs, shares, superchats, pateron membership, channel member membership, buy a me (insert cool item of day)/coffee and having your own merch (shill) store?

If not, then by all means I wish you the best and may check you out when you get a amateur radio video up.

Otherwise, yeah sorry, I too will not waste minutes of my life.

KL7KN, WN1MB and WR3V like this.
  7. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Dunno what is 'worse' - blog pimping or UTOOB channel pimping - it's still pimping.

I rarely watch the vids posted here, with the exception of the P/SOTA folks, long running ones at that. K4SWL's come to mind - and even those are screened for content before viewing.
    I get that folks think they can make a living off of UTOOB, many do - but not from me.

@WN1MB Jeff - thanks for the warning. Now I can use that time to make another cup of coffee....a much better use of my time.

KE0GXN and N3RYB like this.
  8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

TV weatherman Phil Connors would strongly disagree in a most cynical way.

No trashing occurred. I merely stated it was a waste of my time. You want useful input? Fine. Here:

When Nikola or Emma move their heads, the outline of their hair leaves an annoying artifact - for lack of perhaps a more accurate term. The higher contrast of Nicola's white hair to the background makes the artifact left by Nikola much more noticeable and annoying than that of Emma.

In a word, yes. And that's time you will never get back. That is why it is call HISTORY. Crisscross.

Tick tock.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
    KL7KN likes this.
  9. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Phil Conners....funny movie.

10. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham Tubers actually can’t. Hence the reason for the constant pimping of the audience for “financial contributions” and the creation of merch stores and other nonsense ways to get into people’s pockets.

Sorry, but there aren’t nor will there ever be any Mr. Beast on ham radio YouTube. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
  11. VK5OHR

VK5OHR Ham Member QRZ Page

@N2LEE in all seriousness the 'over the top' intro was just too long for me. It was like long CQ calls that go on and on and on my 'egg timer' attention span ran out and I moved on. Don't get me wrong I wanted to do the quizz...

N3RYB likes this.
  12. N2LEE

I agree. The reason that one is so long is that is the Premiere episode and I felt it needed some context. Future Quizzes will not require an introduction.

"egg timer" attention span. I like that. :)

VK5OHR likes this.
  13. N2LEE

GREAT News, we have a 100% money back guarantee so the "Check is in the Mail" for your registration fee. LOL

And I am certainly aware of the artifacts around Emma and Nikola. Two issues are causing this.

#1. 720 vs 1080p
    The service to animate a still image is very expensive. I am only using the entry level service that provides 720p. I have seen better results and I suspect this is because the next level up produces 1080p.
    This is a labor of love and, as I mentioned this is about teaching newbies and having some fun at the same time. I can't afford the 70% increase in price to up the quality.

#2. It will ONLY get Better
    The great thing about AI is we are witnessing the worst it will ever be. This technology is changing DAILY, so my goal is to use these tools to learn how they work and how to use them creatively. If you wait till they are perfect, then you are being left behind.

I am actually teaching myself how to create 3D characters from a 2D image. It is pretty complicated but the point is I know the current example is a limitation. But in future versions, I will be able to animate and move the character in any way I want. This will not only give me much more capability, but also eliminate this limation you are seeing.

14. WI9LL

WI9LL Ham Member QRZ Page

upload_2023-8-28_8-42-46.png

WN1MB likes this.