ad: chuckmartin

AO-91 Amateur Radio Satellite Voice Beacon Captured!

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by VU2JO, Jan 1, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VU2JO

VU2JO Ham Member QRZ Page

Earlier I had posted about setting up my IC 2730 dual band VHF/UHF radio for working AO-91 FM LEO satellite. Today I was monitoring the pass of AO-91 at my region at 10 am local time. After some time a faint voice beacon announcement was heard on the VHF downlink. I started the audio recording and waited. After a few a minutes, when the satellite was just descending after its time of closest approach (TCA), the hissing sound of the open squelch on VHF side suddenly stopped and S meter showed about 6 segments of signal. Then came the YL recorded voice announcement: "Hi, this is RADFXSAT amateur radio satellite".

Many of the passes of AO-91 in this region are silent. Our Elmer in local satellite group were mentioning that its battery gets weak after multiple QSOs from regions which it pass through before reaching our region, even when illuminated! That is why I was quite happy to receive the beacon loud and clear with my very limited setup of Moxon dual band VHF/UHF Yagi kept at a fixed elevation of about 15 degrees and turned to the direction of maximum elevation azimuth of the pass. That too to at a height of only about 6 m from the ground and hardly 2 feet above the balcony fencing!

K4BAD likes this.
  2. VU2JO

VU2JO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you @K4BAD for stopping by and liking my post.

Hope to meet you some time on air.

73 de VU2JO