ad: KF7PMW-1

AnyTone AT-D868UV UHF and VHF DMR radio is now here!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD0PNQ, Jun 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD0PNQ

KD0PNQ Ham Member QRZ Page

AT-D868UV UHF and VHF radios are here!

AnyTone issued a press release some months ago, and we all became very interested in getting our hands on one of those radios. I now have my hands on it – the new VHF and UHF dual band DMR and Analog radios. It was easy to program as there is a Programming Guide available with the radio. It offers 10,000 Contacts, and 2,000 Digital channels, and 2,000 Analog channels. This should cover any use in the world we can foresee. There are 4 power settings for the TX, and offers an astonishing 6 Watts of power. The top line on the display shows a red “T” inside a square = Top power level.

The radio is very simple to use. The screen tells you what is happening – one of the pictures show that I am talking to a repeater and that my signal is accepted. If the repeater is busy I see that on the display as a blue “RX”. The display can show two channels simultaneously, and it can be a Digital channel and an Analog channel which I listen to at the same time. Many great features, and a price below $200.00 I expect. The FCC approval remains to be completed before it can hit the US market.

Attached Files:

KC8YXA likes this.
  2. KN4AQ

KN4AQ Subscriber QRZ Page

10,000 Contacts sounds like a lot, but it's actually way short of the 64,000 contacts currently in the DMR MARC worldwide database (and that number is growing fast).*

I wonder if the radio is any more hammish than most of the other Chinese DMR radios (like my TYT-MD-380). Does it have a 'VFO' (manually entered parameters, kind of complex in DMR)? Conventional memories that can be accessed individually, not just through zones? More than 16 'channels' in a 'zone'?

*The 'Contact' count is important because DMR radios don't send ham callsigns/names like D-STAR and System Fusion do. They send numbers (which DMR MARC assigns and correlates with call signs and names in a database). The radios import the data from the web and can display names and call signs when they receive signals. If the name/call isn't in their copy of the database, you just see the number. So with a 10,000 number limit, you can't see everyone you might receive on the worldwide talk groups.

Some radios have a 65,000 number limit, and we're about to hit that!

3. KV6O

KV6O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

N4NQY and KD5BVX like this.
  4. KD0PNQ

KD0PNQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for your comments - I have forwarded the comment about 10,000 contact positions to AnyTone design staff, and we will see what reply I get from them. The radio does offer a VFO. I believe it also offers a way to select a channel (talk group) from the menu. I have 91 currently in the pre=production radio, and can select any of them. And yes it is banks of 16 channels.

5. N0DZQ

N0DZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Had opportunity to play with the dualband HT during a "show & tell" session at a recent DMR breakfast. Must say I was impressed and will be purchasing one when they hit the shelves. As far as the limited amount of ID storage... more would be nice but truly is a non factor.

If we have become that dependent upon technology to tell us who we are talking with, instead of using social skills & introducing ourselves, maybe its time to find a different hobby with no need of human interaction. :confused:

W0ZZG and W7GST like this.
  6. KV6O

KV6O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I find that the DMR Tier II codec's compression can really make it hard to recognize a persons voice, especially if you have several people talking in a round table. FM, no problems, IMBE (P25 Phase I) no problem, but the AMBE+2 vocoder is really aggressive, and it's nice when the radio displays a familiar call sign rather than an ID. YMMV, I find the list helpful, and my current limit of ~65K is an issue, no way I'd want to go backwards in capability...

7. N6NLX

N6NLX Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder it will cause Tytera to lower their price on the MD-2017 dualbander?

8. UT7UX

UT7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

KD0PNQ, thank for posting!

Nope. Today there are approx 64k registered DMR users worldwide and there will be more and more.
    Channels? Sure, more is better. But actually it depends on CPS: shall it allow easy and more or less automated import from MARC, BM, DMR+ or whatever database to your particular codeplug?

Speaking in terms of S-units, it gives negligible addition to a signal strength comparing to 4W or 5W. Speaking in terms of battery capacity and heat dissipation, it gives pretty noticeable battery draining and (over)heating. Again, more is better as you may reduce power to more economic level.

Today two MD-380s, one VHF and another UHF, will cost less for you. MD-380 has HUGE support with tons of improvements, it handles all 64k contacts (downloadable automatically) and has pretty good receiver. Moreover, with two radios you'll get two desktop chargers (nice option, don't you?) plus true duadband operation.

The most important thing everyone wants to know: what is the receiver? RDA1846 or true superheterodyne? Has it enough selectivity and dynamic range for a real world?

9. KC8YXA

KC8YXA Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like fun can't wait to try one out.

10. N4UED

N4UED Ham Member QRZ Page

This looks like clone of my BFDX 580 sold by Connect Systems .

SQ9DHF likes this.