ad: Radclub22-1

Announcing the QRZ New Ham Jumpstart Program

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Aug 19, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9HT

W9HT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My hat comes off to qrz.com for sponsoring this.

Josh W9HT

2. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If it is a TYT UV88 or Retevis RT85 clone, Chirp will work. Also, the QRZ package ships with the RTS programming software which is very good.

W7UUU likes this.
  3. KD9UQE

KD9UQE Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be nice to see some help from the community or the companies like Gigaparts for guys that are disabled and can't get on the roof. Its all the expensive stuff like meters and connectors, cable pig tails and power strips etc that kill the budget. Right now your junk box is treasure to people who are just getting into radio. You need much more than a radio to build a shack.
    Joining a club or going to Hamfest swap meets doesn't help a shut in. I saw that "helping hands" in Texas I believe. That's an awesome concept to see 'Elmers" who can get out and help those who can't climb a roof or tree or needs a hand setting up a be radio.
    One other thing, of you are be sitting on used gear it would be awesome to see more of it offered in good be faith to folks who could use be a trustworthy setup. Guys hold one to unused stuff like they are gold sand when they do sell the prices are absurd!
    Take care friends and remember to treasure good health and family and friends because you never know when it could be gone. :)

KK6IPR likes this.
  4. KD2ZYW

KD2ZYW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Issue resolved. Once your application has been approved QRZ sends you a code to enter at checkout in Gigaparts so they ship to whatever address you setup with Gigaparts.

KN6VTK likes this.
  5. K1FFF

K1FFF Ham Member QRZ Page

I signed up! Thanks!!!!

6. W6MCN

W6MCN Ham Member QRZ Page

Great program. We need more programs to encouraged the young people to get into ham radio

7. KQ0J

KQ0J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"We need more programs to encouraged (sic )the young people to get into ham radio "

NEW hams, not necessarily YOUNG hams.

KK6IPR, AK9R and (deleted member) like this.
  8. KF0KFB

KF0KFB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all! This is my first post on QRZ. I wanted to thank QRZ and Gigaparts for making this happen. I just got my Technician license so I applied for the QRZ-1 and got it in pretty short order! This little radio seems like a perfect starter, just a little more polished than a UV5R.

I wanted to share my experience with the ZXP-PROG-10 programming cable from Gigaparts. This cable comes with a mini CD straight out of the '90s, with a little panda on it, presumably with the drivers needed to use the cable. I have not had a disc drive in my PC for probably 10 years now, nor do I own any computers with one, so I was torn between laughter and annoyance. There is no driver download available from Gigaparts, and though RT Systems does have driver downloads on their website, I tried installing their large driver pack (USBComDrivers21.exe) and Windows still would not recognize the cable. I tried UV-88 cable drivers, Prolific PL23xx drivers, pretty much whatever I could find for the other clones of this radio. Nothing worked. I called RT Systems and they said it's not their cable, so they don't have drivers for it. I called Gigaparts, who were receptive to my problem but said I was the first of many callers to describe this issue. They were not even aware they were sending out a mini CD with the programming cable.

My saving grace was a recently-uploaded video from RT Systems on YouTube, where they show how to program the QRZ-1 with their CPS. They show Device Manager with the device called "USB-SERIAL CH340". I quickly did a Google search for this device and found a driver download via Sparkfun. I downloaded the Windows drivers in a ZIP format, extracted the ZIP file, and told Device Manager to use the unzipped folder for the driver, and what do you know! Windows loaded up the drivers without a fuss, and I was able to read my radio into the RT Systems CPS.

You can find the drivers here: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-install-ch340-drivers/all#drivers-if-you-need-them

I don't know if Windows 10 was supposed to install a generic CH340 driver and my host firewall setup was inhibiting the automatic driver download, or what the problem was. It is possible. But, if anyone else is having this issue, I wanted to make sure I shared the link to the drivers so you can program your shiny new radio!

Thanks again to QRZ for this generous offer, and I look forward to using this little guy out and about! Take care everyone.

KN6VYB, KI5YCP, KK6IPR and 2 others like this.
  9. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

What you are doing is the best side of Amature radio. I began this hobby in 1978 and had several ELMER's . Some gave their time and experence. Others gave equipment.
    I saw an add for A Viking high frequency filter, called the man about it and asked him to save it till Friday. He sent it that day and arrived Wednesday. I sent the payment Friday.
    Boy those days are gone , I miss them.
    AA7BQ hold on to your convictions , 73.

10. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

11. K4ZSA

K4ZSA Ham Member QRZ Page

I’ve had my license for 2 weeks and just applied — thanks for helping folks like me get started!

N7XCZ likes this.
  12. KD9VNJ

KD9VNJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just got my Technician license just before the time window of this program started. I did recently buy my first mobile and HT radio. I guess my timing was off again but great to see that there are programs like this starting up.

N7XCZ likes this.
  13. KB6NU

KB6NU Ham Member QRZ Page

The PDF version of my No Nonsense Technician Class License Study Guide is free by going to https://www.kb6nu.com/study-guides. To take the test for free, find a Laurel VEC test session, and if you don't have one in your area, there are online test sessions available. Finally, the ARRL says that they'll pay the one-time $35 application fee for new license candidates younger than 18-years old for tests administered under the ARRL Volunteer Examiner Coordinator (ARRL VEC) program.

KK6IPR likes this.
  14. N2TGF

N2TGF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent Program to get new hams on the air. When the new hams get on the air I'm sure there will be plenty of Elmers to help them out.

15. KD2ZZE

KD2ZZE Ham Member QRZ Page

Great promotion. Awesome way to welcome new hams into the hobby. Well done QRZ.com and Gigaparts. :cool: