ad: QSLWorks-1

Andy Stillinger, WA2DKJ SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KB2FCV, Mar 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

It is with great saddness that I must report my longtime dear friend Andy, WA2DKJ has passed away.

Here is the link to the obituary:
    https://www.tributearchive.com/obituaries/20102491/Andrew-M-Stillinger

[​IMG]

Here is the obituary:

Andrew M. Stillinger, a lifelong Chatham Township, NJ resident, died suddenly of natural causes on Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at his home. He was 57. The Facts: Andy was born in Summit to his loving parents, Dorothea and Frank Stillinger on May 23, 1963. He was raised in Chatham with his sister, Connie, and was a graduate of Chatham High School. He went on to study engineering and earn his bachelor’s degree at Lehigh University. Andy chose to return to Chatham after college.

Andrew’s lifelong thirst for knowledge and love for adventure led him to a career in research engineering with NJIT in Newark. He was a member of The Center for Solar & Terrestrial Research, a role which required him to travel to what would become his favorite place on the planet, Antarctica. He performed the maintenance and critical repairs required to keep foundation’s sensitive research and monitoring equipment located in the south pole operational. He spent eight seasons from November through the end of January in Antarctica working at McMurdo, South Pole and further inland. Andrew’s well-versed knowledge mechanics and engineering married together with his excellent improvisational skills made him an integral part of the team. Andrew was talented at improvising with whatever materials were available, which were scant, to make the necessary repairs to the equipment. On one occasion while Andy was departing the plane he had arrived on in Antarctica, he crossed paths with Apollo 11 astronaut, Buzz Aldrin, who was taking his “bucket list” trip to the continent. One never knew who you could run into at the bottom of the world.

Andrew was an avid Ham radio enthusiast. Starting in sixth grade he eagerly joined this unique group of folks. A longtime member of the New Providence Radio Club, Andy participated in many Field Day events with the club and later operated out of his yard with a team of diehard hams. He resurrected the Ham radio station located on Antarctica, which was defunct for thirty years, to the delight of fellow enthusiasts. He enjoyed connecting with people throughout the world and was always eager to check another country off of his list.

Andrew was a member of the Porsche Automobile Club of America. He was highly knowledgeable and skilled at mechanical repairs to Porsche engines and all the mechanical systems of the sports car to the degree that he had a few private clients whose vehicles he worked on as mechanic.

Andy loved the outdoors and could be found trekking the Great Swamp CMA as well as The Sparta Glen and Kittatinny State Park in Sussex County with his trusted companion, Biscuit. He was a member of the Great Swamp Watershed Association and he personally helped to build many bridges in the CMA on Tiger Lily Lane over streams and brooks for hikers, birdwatchers and the critters to enjoy.

Andy is survived by his beloved parents, Frank and Dorothea Stillinger of Chatham Township; his sister, Constance “Connie” Stillinger and her husband, Ted Alper; his nephews, Morris & Henry; his longtime companion, Nicole Francoeur of Sparta; and many dear friends and colleagues.

Due to the Stillinger family’s concern for everyone’s well-being, funeral services for Andrew were held privately for his family. A celebration of Andrew’s life will be held at a later date to be announced. Funeral arrangements were under the care of the Madison Memorial Home.

The Reality:

As we are were all trying to find the words to write and came up empty handed because Andy was so much more than the facts above, this is a compilation from friends and family:

Andy Stillinger was the kind of luddite that didn't ever use his flip phone except to tell you he'd arrived at your home (during COVID), and then he'd turn it off by removing the battery and not use it again for days or weeks. He had the heart of a giant, the humility of a snowpea, and the sense of humor of a corny, eyeroll-and-groan inducing dad, despite not having had any children. He helped when he saw someone in need whether he knew them or not, and he did so without any expectation of repayment.

Andy believed there was a right way to treat people and that being human was enough qualification. This especially applied to dogs. There was an instant connection that was made with pretty much every creature has encountered. From his childhood pets to his dogs Buckley and Biscuit, Andy had a way with the four leggeds. Even thought Nicole rescued Biscuit from 11th Hour without Andy’s knowledge, these two formed a bond that was solid and true and made Andy Biscuits #1 person.

Andy had his own shorthand for the mundane. If you asked him what he wanted for lunch, he'd say, "large food, medium beverage." If you told him you were off to take a shower, he'd command you to "put it back when you're done." He didn't play "catch," he played "throw," because sometimes you miss one or two, but you weren't likely to "miss" when pitching. He was the kind of guy that would give you the plain white t-shirt off his back if you needed it; he'd likely just grab another from his vast collection.

A true gentleman in every sense of the word, Andy would move heaven and Earth for those that he let in and came to love. A man of few words, the ones he spoke were thoughtful and heartfelt. If he couldn’t articulate himself verbally, his actions shined through. From finishing off a radio project for dying radio club friend so he could see it completed to painting the gallery ceiling at Peter’s Valley School of Craft with Nicole because it was the “their” project of the year, Andy would leave a little bit of himself everywhere and with everyone he met. His tenderness with the old and the young would make you pause to take in his humanity. A simple gesture like zipping Nicole’s father coat because he couldn’t due to Parkinson’s was par for the course with out friend.

He stuck out like a sore thumb in his town of Chatham and this gave him a sense of mischievous satisfaction. He believed things, especially old things, had value and were worth restoring and repairing despite our "upgrade and discard" economy. He loved going to the South Pole every year, and regaling friends and family with his stories of working at McMurdo Station. Andy would be that guy in a t-shirt and jeans, flip flops, with no gloves on, talking about the "lovely balmy weather" they were having at -125 degrees.

You wouldn't believe one person could be so brilliant, so magnanimous, and so humble. If you'd never met Andy, you wouldn't believe a man like him really existed. Even now, he seems like a unicorn. But he was real, and if you were incredibly fortunate to have known him, then you would understand. That was Andy. He was one in a few million.

Please refrain from sending flowers to the house. A more meaningful gesture would be to make a donation in Andy’s name to the environmental or animal rescue group of your choice. The Great Swamp Watershed Association was a personal favorite as well as 11th Hour Rescue where his dog, Biscuit, was rescued from.

2. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

My comments on Andy:

Andy was one of the smartest, friendliest, caring, gracious and kindest person you could meet. Andy and I share a long friendship that goes back more than 30 years from my earliest days of being a ham radio operator.

We shared a common interest in all things radio, technical, mechanical and much more. We had a love for operating CW during the ARRL field day radio contest... but there was often a twist. Instead of using modern radio equipment, often we brought out vintage vaccuum tube radio equipment or we built simple breadboard vacuum tube radios and hauled that all out and put it on the air for a few hours during the contest - spending weeks getting it all ready. We fueled each others interest. A radio I built that worked well sparked his interest to delve deeper into simple radio circuitry and maximize simple radio circuits for performance - with that came very high performance crystal sets - to which we both built and competed against each other to listen for the most AM stations. That later evolved into listening to NDB aircraft beacons with vintage military low band receivers (and competing for the most stations, of course) - which evolved into bringing a few of us to see that receiver in a visiting B-29 WWII bomber. Yep, one interest rolled into another with us. That's just the way it was.

Getting back to the ARRL field day contest - we both enjoyed the contest and operating together for that last weekend every June. We were up to the wee hours of the morning operating CW - fueled by smarties, or devil dogs, or a late night cooked burger or hot dog. Whether we were operating a vintage vacuum tube radio or a modern radio - we had a lot of fun and enjoyment. Those are the times I look back to.

We enjoyed traveling to various radio flea markets together and enjoyed meeting up at the Sussex Hamfest, followed by lunch at the Chatterbox in Sussex County after with friends.

We shared a similar sense of humor.. I'll miss our emails where we often signed our radio calls.. the last three letters of my radio call KB2FCV might be Freshly Chopped Vegetables, or Fixing Crappy Vehicles.. or the last three of his WA2DKJ might be 'Don't Know Jack or Does Know James.. many variations.. just a quirky sense of humor we shared.

Andy and I enjoyed working on all sorts of projects. In 2012 we built an EME station. It had 4 x 9 element yagis, an 8877 amp that put out a KW. It was a crowning technical achievement.. I can say it was one of the most amazing moments of my life to make that first contact off the moon and it was a moment we shared together. My avatar pic for years has been the array.

Andy was a wealth of knowledge. He was without question the smartest person I knew. If I was stumped on a radio project, a car repair or a plumbing dilemma - Andy always had the answer. For about the last decade, Andy went to the South Pole every year for some of the work he did. He would go down for a few months during our Winter. We kept in contact via email when he was down there... but, he also activated the ham radio station down there (KC4AAA) and we'd chat on the air when he had the time to activate the station. Of course Andy being Andy, he also helped with the upkeep of the station down there.. fixing antennas or radios and solving problems. That's just who he was. If something needed fixing, he fixed it. He would always pitch in and lend a hand to whomever needed it.

I am so happy and honored that I got to know him. I will always cherish the many fond memories that we had as friends. Andy will be sorely missed. It still doesn't feel real, and I am very much still in a state of shock. I'll forever miss Andy, my dear dear friend. Andy thank you for the many wonderful years of friendship. I still can't believe you are gone. 73 my friend, de KB2FCV . . DSC_8779sm.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  3. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

JIM,
    WE ARE ALL VERY SORRY FOR THE LOSS OF YOUR DEAR FRIEND ANDY.

WA2DKJ A GOD BLESS AMERICA 2021 new.jpg

WA2DKJ A BEAUTIFUL FUNERAL FLOWERS.jpg

WA2DKJ PIX.jpg

ZCZC AE52

QST de W1AW

DX Bulletin 52 ARLD052

From ARRL Headquarters

Newington CT December 22, 2011

To all radio amateurs

DX news

ANTARCTICA. Andy, WA2DKJ is QRV as KC4AAA from the South Pole

Station for about three weeks. Activity is generally on 40 and 20

meters using CW and SSB and possibly with digital modes as well.

QSL via operator's instructions.

WA2DKJ OPERATION DEEP FREEZE.jpg

A ARRL FLAG BLUE BKGND NEW.jpg

WA2DKJ NEW PROV ARC.png

Andrew was talented at improvising with whatever materials were available,

which were scant, to make the necessary repairs to the equipment.

============ WA2DKJ MACGYVER.jpg

A SILENT KEY SALUTE OCT 2020.jpg

4. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

WA2DKJ-ANDY hi respekct fully vy73 djoaj ekrem

5. W6EFI

W6EFI Ham Member QRZ Page

Andy was my brother. I have picked ham radio back up since his passing, in large part in love and tribute to him, and now understand what a great fulfilling 1000 hobbies it is. Thank you everyone for the gracious words about him here. I will dig out some pictures -- including him in bare feet on the roof of South Pole Station (because his feet were hot and no one was there to yell at him -- "no cops, no stops" so to speak) and with a Victrola horn as his speaker for a hi-fi crystal radio set he designed and built for a contest. And maybe a few more.

Andy, we all miss you desperately but hope you are now back working on stuff with Joe K2JAO - SK . See you later, bro. 88 de W6EFI Connie (see I did it!)