ad: Radclub22-1

Anatomy of an Internet Scam at QRZ

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Aug 18, 2014.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6FRG

K6FRG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you so much for sharing this. Excellent job! Very good advice!

2. N0LJD

N0LJD Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good. Scams can go both ways. I sold a TS-430s on eBay, included photos of the actual radio, scratches and all. Listed that the radio worked and the the standard disclaimer, "electronics, as-is", accept PayPal only, and that I would ship to US only. The buyer ended up being in Puerto Rico. Against my better judgement, I shipped the radio, paying the extra amount out of my own pocket. The buyer said the radio didn't even turn on and opened a complaint with eBay. PayPal pulled the funds out of my account. I responded to eBay and PayPal showing photos of the radio (powered on), copies of the emails with the buyer showing my willingness to take the radio back to return his money (after the radio was received)... and the lack of replies from the buyer. I never received the radio... PayPal finally ruled in my favor and returned my money.

With selling several different items on eBay, I would often get offers from potential buyers offering more money if I would sell to them direct. Most of the time, it was clearly a scam... international, I would need to prepay the shipper out of money (check) they would send to me.... Wire (Western Union) excess funds... tell-tale signs that things weren't right.

3. AA0WX

AA0WX Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent!!

4. K7ZZY

K7ZZY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks on behalf of all of us who are honest buyers/sellers.

5. W7BDB

W7BDB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great account of the scam! I have had quite good luck on eBay buying and selling, except for one. A little Yaesu VX-1 that the seller seemed bent on stringing me along. However after a little research using a couple sites I was able to find much information on the individual. His deployment excuse turned out to be a hoax since I was able to find his commander and forwarded his very distasteful email the slime ball sent me. I received my radio shortly after the commander took action and eBay kicked him off too. He surfaced a short time later (because I recognized the items he was selling) under his sisters eBay account, the eBay folks shut her off too. Usiing pipl.com, Zillow.com, and many of the online county tax records it is amazing the information that can be had within a short amount of time all for free. Many sites offer $7.98 specials that inundate you with information about somebody. Hard to hide these days. 73

6. W7OMG

W7OMG Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent article showing how some scammers look legit until you dig a little deeper.

Being an avid Photoshop user and a person who likes creating humorous edits of photos, I was shocked how bad of a job was done on the passport and drivers license (was probably done with MS Paint).

I did get a laugh that even if you fell for the bad forgeries, how could you even believe a young man like that would have a wife that much older then him. If it were true then good for her, eh?

Once again, thanks for posting a PSA about this scammer.

Shawn - W7OMG

7. KF1P

KF1P Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you Fred for the information.
    This is one of the reasons I ask everyone to create their own profile on QRZ.com.
    Please keep it up to date too. I am guilty on that one. Need newer pictures on mine.
    I also put my wife's profile on here under her call.
    When I sell equipment I will never ever use what looks like a "stock photo"....
    I actually had one radio with a jar of freshly canned peaches in it on Ebay!
    If there are not a lot of pictures do NOT buy it.
    No communications is another big give away.
    Use Paypal and state in it what the payment is being used for.....Never Ever a gift.
    The documents this clown used are Bad forgeries.
    Again Fred....thank you for your vigilence.

8. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed! I don't buy used equipment anymore especially from eBay.

9. AB1DQ

AB1DQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey Fred,
    Well played & thanks so very much for sharing this - it was eye-opening.
    One of my biggest fears as I get older is that I will be easy prey for scammers - I tend to be a trusting soul and one who is already befuddled by new technology. I can only imagine the target I will become once I start losing my marbles.
    I had been scammed 2x in the past years ago on eBay - fortunately the dollar amounts were miniscule compared to the cost of a top-of-the line XCVR, but man, it still smarts regardless of dollar amount.
    Keep up the good work,
    James - AB1DQ
    Bedford, MA
    (very near Waltham!)

10. G0UCX

G0UCX Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred, CONGRATULATIONS : the BEST thing I have seen for years and very well documented. If only more site owners would care and respond as professionally as you. Very well done. Malcolm K1VZ

11. NI7I

NI7I Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a whole subculture of guys that do this scam baiting stuff as a hobby, and some of them actually get the scammers to PAY THEM!

http://www.thescambaiter.com/forum/

12. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, those forgeries are PRICELESS!

13. N4XY

N4XY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for doing this, and for the tips at the end.
    73 de Ed N4XY n4xy@comcast.net

14. PP8DA

PP8DA Ham Member QRZ Page

This story reads more like professional tylored robbery, how about some jail time for this gentleman.
    Well staged, well done Fred!

Vy73´s de Nick - PP8DA

15. W7GJ

W7GJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

MNI TNX for your excellent thorough research on exposing this scammer! You really are providing a great service for the honest ham community! Keep up the great job! VY 73, Lance