ad: MyersEng-1

Amateur Vanity Callsign Processing Suspended

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Oct 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. NR0Q

NR0Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes I know im a no code tech. so what. I currently have my original call which i will never ever forget. kilo charlie zero quick easy victory, (the football coach's idea) that was issued by the fcc not vanity. I am applying for a call of a distant relative of mine that happend to write in QST and has been an SK for many years now, I applied the day b4 the fcc suspended the vanity system. Yes i know that the call i am wanting is a 1x3 which is not to typical of a no code tech but who cares. and yes i know that the call is a W1 and i live in Ø land (no more having to type Alt+0216 to get a Ø hihi) but to me its worth it. I say its a personal prefernce. maybe its a call you had in 1952 when you first got licensed that is in another call district or one that belonged to the man that first got you interested in radio. or it could just be your intials or your GF intials. It doesn't matter. If the call has meaning to you and its availble i say go get it.

Ok who wants the soapbox next i will leave at the entrance of this post. please take care of the soapbox, it ain't fireproof that i can tell. hihi.

73 de Matthew KCØQEV (soon to be (W1JEQ)

2. W6YNS

W6YNS Ham Member QRZ Page

A person should whatever callsign they want.

When a person goes to get tested; they should make a list and then whatever callsign letters they choose they can obtain if isn't already taken.

The limitations are that the callsigns begin with either a K,N,W. I wanted to have my callsign as the only callsign I ever had. I didn't want to be issued a callsign and then have to change it and have the old one listed.

What if you were issued a callsign like KW0GAY or some other really weird callsign? Wouldn't you want it changed?

Why do people need to know that what I have is a Vanity Call? If a person gets their callsign from their late Uncle Fred or Aunt Edna it shouldn't be listed as Vanity because their relatives aren't going to come back to life.

3. K6BR

K6BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I phoned the FCC yesterday and the kind lady said she had just heard 5 minutes ago that the vanity call sign process would begin again on November 22nd.

Just my luck the one time I see a call I want, apply and pay my money the system is suspended. [​IMG]

I waited to get a 1x2 six area callsign, I do not understand anyone that would want a call from another area if you live in six land.

4. K6BR

Said by an advanced class licensee, 1x2 or 2x1 Jealousy maybe, or maybe not, could be Grandfathered into an Extra, another issue?

5. K6BR

I don't think I need a vasectomy, I have worked high power Microwaves for many years

6. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You won't be able to copy code for a month if you do that. Hi Hi

Bob - AB8MA

7. K4JF

K4JF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Also "A".

8. W7OLY

W7OLY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[/quote]
    You won't be able to copy code for a month if you do that. Hi Hi

Bob - AB8MA[/quote]
    [​IMG] Now that's funny!

Aubrey/KI4LSA

9. VE7RFH

VE7RFH Ham Member QRZ Page

Why, what's wrong with that call?

10. K4LEM

K4LEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, its better to have a digit that corresponds with your physical location. That was originally one of the reasons FCC made districts. I have however heard KL7 calls when that person never was in Alaska. Rather a disappointment when he comes back and says, "Oh, I'm in Pittsburg."

Nice to hear they think they'll pick up processing on November 22. It was a dumb idea to stop the system anyway. The number of applicants who will qualify for a time waiver I'll bet is almost zilch. In mean time look at the backlogs they're creating. [​IMG]

11. K4JF

I think that is pretty d**n obvious.

12. VE7RFH

Oh really, care to explain why?

13. K4JF

Oh, good grief! "There are none so blind as those who refuse to see."

14. AE7Q

AE7Q Guest

I'm assuming VE7RFH is being argumentative, but I'll bite:

Whether or not you agree with them, there are quite a few people in the world that believe homosexuality is wrong, and don't want the association. That's their privilege.

15. VE7RFH

Yup , and some people are offensively open with their bigotry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.