ad: k1jek

Amateur Radio operators using DMR assist in New Hampshire rescue

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AC1LC, Dec 12, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, yes. PLB or even SPOT devices - they take the "search" out of Search and Rescue.

2. VE2VDX

VE2VDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Those excellent Lonely Planet guides advise hikers never to wander away from the trail if and when they think they are lost and especially if they become injured following a mishap. If you become injured or somehow immobilized, at least try to remain within earshot of anyone who may pass by on a nearby trail so that you can call out or whistle to get their attention. Not every situation is identical, of course.

When trekking in the Everest region of the Himalayas some years ago, I read about and was told cautionary tales--incidents where tourists foolishly left the trail and ended up injuring themselves or stumbling around for days, weeks and even months (!) before finally being spotted and rescued near exhaustion once their food ran out. Other stragglers not so fortunate were either never found--presumed dead--or their remains later discovered. Common sense says it's a safe bet that remaining on or near a trail along which other trekkers will eventually pass to assist you.

Personally, if I were ever to go on a potentially risky adventure alone or in a group--say into a remote area such as the forested wilderness of New Zealand or Borneo, or out on the ocean-- I would purchase a PLB or EPIRB beforehand.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_position-indicating_radiobeacon

AC1LC likes this.
  3. KM1NDY

KM1NDY Ham Member QRZ Page

It's so easy to Monday morning quarterback when someone gets lost in the woods, but it is truly not hard to do.

I am an experienced hiker in the Northeast in all of our ranges. There are rules I follow:

1) I generally do not bushwhack. The trails are my friends and I rarely ever leave them.

2) If I am not intimately familiar with a trail, I bring a dedicated gps (Garmin). And extra batteries. This makes backtracking easy if I do get lost.

3) I bring gear that could allow me to stay out overnight and appropriate for the season. This means a tarp, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad for winter hikes. Plus the usual apparel.

4) I ALWAYS pack a headlamp and extra batteries. ALWAYS! I am very often out after dark and do quite a bit of night hiking. I am very comfortable with this when I have a headlamp and gps.

5) I don't push my limits (too much). My goal of hiking is to enjoy being outside, not to train for some Siberian Ultra Decathlon. I know my boundaries well.

6) Quitting is always on the table. If conditions change, I'll turn around and go home if I need to. No pride or ego.

7) and what I don't do, but need to start: bring a fire making kit with me. Probably a small wood gasifier stove, vaseline embedded cotton balls, matches, and a lighter. The cold of winter hiking is quickly unbearable. I have been thinking more and more that a fire may be the only hope. The small gasifier (like the Solo stove which I have) are really handy.

In any case, my fellow portable ham operators, stay safe out there!!

Mindy

N1YR, KC1MXB, W5ESE and 3 others like this.
  4. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Mindy has the right ideas for most hikers, right there.

Pack accordingly to season, know where the sun should set in relation to your starting point, and never keep going if in doubt. A working compass and paper map go with you.

My final trip packing advice is for you to remind yourself: "What if I can't call for help".

So happy to hear this guy made it OK.

Happy Holidays

KC1MXB, KM1NDY and KF5KWO like this.
  5. KD2AVW

KD2AVW Ham Member QRZ Page

6. K2BKR

K2BKR Ham Member QRZ Page

Great story glad it ended well, but unfortunately DMR isn't everywhere. That said VHF/UHF is around and most HTs have dual capability.

7. WA1OKB

WA1OKB Ham Member QRZ Page

Could have been even easier. I don't know if the particular repeater he was using was on the Brandmeister network, but they pass location data to APRS... Might be something to consider. Even if you don't know where you are, DMR hitting a Brandmeister repeater can automatically report your precise location to APRS.

Wa1okb

8. K1ENG

K1ENG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry to differ, as a long time AMC leader and hiker she was not experienced if she did not read the conditions and her gear and turn back because she was not prepared. Very sad, very preventable. There are lots of groups like AMC that offer training and hiking experiences led by leaders who can help you learn about the outdoors and enjoy safely. You don't 'conquer' mountains, but when the weather is good and you have the right gear you have the opportunity to visit. And do SOTA.

9. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Critics must not have spent to much time in the wild. Even the most experienced get turned around but what they have going for them is how to get out of it. I have gotten spun in the woods but never bad enough to need help getting out of it. Mostly tracking bloodtrails as your attention is elsewhere and it doesn't take long to lose position. As Mindy said bushwhacking will lead one astray quickly. I think most important is the ability to survive a night or two if its bad. Pack accordingly and always have the ability to start a fire with you. Many hikers I know are nonchalant on that part if its a short hike or a well trodden area but up here that can be deadly quick when weather moves in or you need to cross a river or stream. Can't dry out without fire in New England and the cold will catch up to you no matter how well your dressed.

W9EBE likes this.
  10. IK0WRB

IK0WRB Ham Member QRZ Page

I am happy that the lost hikercould be helped.
    I would also add another point to the learnt lessons: get a DMR radio with GPS!
    That would help a lot in locating quickly the lost person or group.

11. KC1CMV

KC1CMV Ham Member QRZ Page

That's too bad he got lost. But kudos to him for bringing his radio with him and not using it unless for an emergency to save battery life. Glad he was not out for too long. Great work everybody! I'm definitely going to make sure I have an HT with me at all times now, and that I am monitoring .52 and DMR.