ad: ProAudio-1

Amateur Radio makes news in Somalia

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK2BVS, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. VK2BVS

VK2BVS Ham Member QRZ Page

In Galkayo, Somalia on the 12 April 2007 a ceremony was held that included thanks to amateur radio (ham radio- Helping All Mankind radio) operators for helping facilitate the donation of an ambulance to the Galkayo Region Hospital, (700km north of Mogadishu), Puntland State, Somalia.

Dr Ahmed Abdikader, who is regional hospital director in the Mudug region of Somalia thanked Dr Mohamed Jama Salad for getting a donated ambulance through the friendship he made with Italian amateur radio operators during their radio holidays in Galkayo, Somalia.

He said this ambulance was an urgent need and he thanked the people of Italy, the radio amateurs and the NGO called Avis (Italian blood donating organisation).

Dr Mohamed Jama Salad, the neurosurgeon in Galkayo, Somalia thanked the participants at the ceremony who included Sam VK2BVS/ 6o0a, Filip ON4TA/6o0f, Mayor of Galkayo, District Commissioner of the Galkayo Government council, Galkayo Hospital Doctors, Manager of telephone companies and business men.

The aim of the meeting was to present the ambulance and its key to the regional hospital director.

He said this donation was from Avis who run the Italian blood donation bank.

Dr Mohamed Jama Salad thanked the amateur radio operators especially the Italian hams who conducted a DX radio operating holiday expedition in 2005 and 2006 in Galkayo, Somalia.

Silvano Borsa I2YSB/6o0cw lead the group of 5 Italian amateur radio operators in 2005 and another group of 7 Italian hams in 2006 to Galkayo, Somalia.

He said that "the Italian amateur radio team opened the relations between Somalia and Avis" (the Italian donors) and he said "I am giving a special thanks to Sam Voron VK2BVS/ 6o0a who made it easy for ham radio operators to visit Galkayo, Somalia". He said "I want to welcome Filip ON4TA/6o0f who is currently on a 2 week amateur radio holiday in Galkayo, Somalia".

He said "The well equipped ambulance that cost Euro75,000 ($US120,000) will be used to transport people with spinal cord injuries. All we received was made easy by the efforts of the Amateur Radio operators. The Ham radio operators are represented at the ceremony by Sam Voron VK2BVS/ 6o0a from Australia and Filip Rogister ON4TA/6o0f from Belgium". "We also welcome the SARFEN (Somalia Amateur Radio Friendship and Emergency Network) President Mr. Mohamed Yasin Isak 6o0my".

"I am saying to the Ham Radio people to please keep doing what you are doing to help Somalia especially Galkayo".

Mr. Mohyadin Abdi Bihi, the Galkayo Mayor in Somalia said "he is happy to see the hospital receive a well equipped ambulance because the 2 previous ambulances were just small buses. I can say this is a victory (advance) for the people of Somalia. I am thanking the overseas people who made easy our path to receive such a gift. The ambulance will be useful to help road accident victims. I am saying please continue these efforts to bring help from overseas countries to Somalia".

"Our situation in Somalia is very poor. We don’t see many improvements like we see today that helps the life of the Somali people".

Mr. Abdirushid Ali Hashi, Govenor of Mudug region in Somalia said "as he looked at Sam VK2BVS/ 6o0a and Filip ON4TA/6o0f he noted that Sam had visited Somalia 13 times between 1993 to 2007 and he was now considered to be a member of the Galkayo, Somalia community. He hoped that Filip ON4TA/6o0f (who was visiting Africa and Somalia for the first time) would continue to come to Galkayo, Somalia like Sam. I am thanking Avis who donated this ambulance".

"I am saying to the ham radio people please keep helping the Somali people and help us find a blood donation bank. I am saying especially to the SARFEN (Somalia Amateur Radio Friendship and Emergency Network) President Mr. Mohamed Yasin Isak 6o0my and his 2 friends Sam VK2BVS/ 6o0a from Australia and Filip ON4TA/6o0f from Belgium to take our message to the world.

Translated from Somali to English by Abdikader Abdulahi Osman, Radio Galkayo news department, Galkayo, Somalia (no copy write, free distribution permitted) Email: farayaamo@yahoo.com

Ham Radio visitors to Somalia can get help with amateur radio licensing and assistance at Galkayo airport from SARFEN (Somalia Amateur Radio Friendship and Emergency Network) Email: somaliahamradio@yahoo.com

Some of the Italian amateur radio and humanitarian assistance to Somalia can be found on:
    http://www.i2ysb.com/6o
    http://www.i2ysb.com/6o0n
    http://www.i2ysb.com

2. W7NB

W7NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Politics aside, $120k for an ambulance in a 3rd world country?

Seems like that should buy more like 3 equipped nicely for a country where paramedic is an unknown word.

In agreement with the last poster, perhaps Somali interest stories should be posted in the RAC or British ham forums, as ther is too much bad blood and open wounds for those of us here in the US.

3. VK2BVS

VK2BVS Ham Member QRZ Page

On 17 April 2007 Mohamed Yasin Isak 6O0MY the President of the Somalia Amateur Radio Friendship and Emergency Network (SARFEN) in Galkayo (700km north of Mogadishu), Puntland State, Somalia, used Amateur Radio infrastructure to express condolences to the American people especially parents, relatives and friends of the students killed in the Virginia Technical collage shooting.

He said “on behalf of the Somalia SARFEN members we are feeling sorry with you.”
    Somalia Amateur Radio Email: somaliahamradio@yahoo.com

4. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Over the past few months the viscereal reaction that some posters have presented about all things Somali is disturbing. "Black Hawk Down" was terrible, but involved one mob in one city, one time. You might as well condemn all Ds for the Holocaust or all ODs for the Marine barracks bombing. This doesn't help anyone and it certainly isn't ham radio.

A better question might be to ask what kind of unclear mission planning and support put these poor guys in the situation to begin with. Like the barracks bombing (and, at the risk of stirring up a hornet's nest, more recent festivities) technological superiority doesn't make up for a lack of basic knowledge about an area. Again, this isn't directly related to our hobby. But maybe if planners followed spirit of ham radio, which includes learning about other peoples, there would be fewer disasterous interventions.

5. VE8MD

VE8MD QRZ Member QRZ Page

I don't know about the people in the US. I do know about the people from Somalia though. I've met many here in Canada, they are good people. Any help they can get, is well needed. Not to get off on a politiacal rant here but maybr if the US didn't push their ideals on the rest of the world, it could be a better place.

Mike VE6DPa

6. W9GRN

W9GRN QRZ Member QRZ Page

I agree.The U.S. should also keep it's taxpayer's dollars here too. [​IMG] More important things needs to be done here.

7. LA4RT

LA4RT Ham Member QRZ Page

Somalia is a failed state. Sort of the textbook example of one. However, the northern part has seceded into two breakaway states, Somaliland and Puntland. Neither is internationally recognized. But they seem to be mostly functioning like normal countries. And determined not to get involved in the chaos that is southern Somalia.

This news item came from Somaliland.

8. LA4RT

LA4RT Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, make that Puntland

9. WI7B

WI7B Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I was always taught, If you can't say something nice about people, don't say anything at all.

However, the CNN News video of Somalian's dragging our dead soldiers behind vehicles throught the streets, speaks VOLUMES about them.  As an American Ham, I am offended this news was even allowed to be posted on QRZ.  
    [​IMG]

Respectfully submitted,

K5-MKE
    -------------------------------------------------------

I would suggest that - if you are offended by this report on the humanitarian efforts of a DXpedition, contact the DXpedition sponsors and complain.  To help you along, here's a short list...

Ameritron (That'll be easy, they're in Mississippi)
    Western New York DX Association
    Northern California DX Foundation, Inc.
    International DX Association

---* Ken

10. AC7DX

AC7DX Guest

SCREW Somalia...

We lost the following brave American soldiers during those horrific days.
    PFC Matt Anderson
    Rocket propelled grenade
    September 25, 1993 MPFC Domingo Arroyo
    First casualty
    January 12, 1993 SSgt. Brian P. Barnes
    Jockey 14 crash
    March 14, 1994, Kenya
    LCPL Anthony Botello
    Sniper fire
    January 25, 1993 CWO Donovan Briley
    Battle of Mogadishu
    October 3-4, 1993 SSGT. Daniel Busch
    Battle of Mogadishu
    October 3-4, 1993
    SPEC. James Cavaco
    Battle of Mogadishu
    October 3-4, 1993 SSGT. William Cleveland, Jr.
    Battle of Mogadishu
    October 3-4, 1993 PV2 David Conner

February 8, 1993
    TSgt. Robert L. Daniel
    Jockey 14 crash
    March 14, 1994, Kenya SFC Robert H. Deeks Jr

March 3, 1993 MSgt. Roy S. Duncan
    Jockey 14 crash
    March 14, 1994, Kenya
    SSgt William C. Eyler
    Jockey 14 crash
    March 14, 1994; Kenya SSGT. Thomas Field
    Battle of Mogadishu
    October 3-4, 1993 SFC Earl Fillmore
    Battle of Mogadishu
    October 3-4, 1993
    CWO Raymond Frank
    Battle of Mogadishu
    October 3-4, 1993 Lawrence L. Freeman
    Battle of Mogadishu
    October 3-4, 1993 MSG Gary L. Gordon
    Battle of Mogadishu
    October 3-4, 1993
    Medal of Honor recipient
    Spec. Mark E. Gutting
    Land mine
    August 8, 1993 PV2 Daniel L. Harris

March 18, 1993 MSgt. Justin A. Harris
    Helicopter crash-UN evacuation
    February 20, 1995
    Sgt. Christopher K. Hilgert
    Land mine
    August 8, 1993 SGT Cornell L. Houston
    Battle of Mogadishu
    October 3-4, 1993 SGT. James Casey Joyce
    Battle of Mogadishu
    October 3-4, 1993
    PFC. Richard W. Kowalewski, Jr.
    Battle of Mogadishu
    October 3-4, 1993 PFC. James H. Martin, Jr.
    Battle of Mogadishu
    October 3-4, 1993 MSGT. Timothy L. "Griz" Martin
    Battle of Mogadishu
    October 3-4, 1993
    Captain David J. Mehlhop
    Jockey 14 crash
    March 14, 1994; Kenya SSgt. Mike E. Moser
    Jockey 14 crash
    March 14, 1994; Kenya SPCEdward J. Nicholson

September 30, 1993
    Spec. Keith D. Pearson
    Land mine