ad: Schulman-1

Amateur Radio and the Internet

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KF4JQD, Sep 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC8FKS

KC8FKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Just looked for your chat room on yahoo.
    I didnt see it:(

2. KB2KAB

KB2KAB Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] OH NO! HERE WE GO AGAIN.

3. kb1flr

kb1flr Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Andy,

I'm a Web programmer, but I have to confess that I cannot figure out what you are doing. It sounds like you are using Voice over IP and your radio at the same time, but the radio is not directly interfaced to the PC. Are you just opening a chat room and switching between the room and the radio?

I have to admit that I don't mix radio with the Internet. Radio is my way to get away from computers which I use all day at work. Voice Over IP has no appeal to me because I know exactly how it works, so no magic. RF always defies my attempts to figure it out. Sometimes I turn the radio on an hear a ham 250 miles away. An hour later dead air. Then you hear Antarctica like its the house next door. Magic.

Best of luck in whatever interests you.

Rick, KB1FLR

4. kk7jk

kk7jk Banned QRZ Page

Ham Radio is falling behind the Computer. Fine, good, stay on the Computer and just forget Ham Radio.

5. KC2JCA

KC2JCA Ham Member QRZ Page

For those of you wishing even more fun, I will be monitoring 146.595 simplex for the next 25 years. For those of you who can not hear me, or who I can not hear, you can send me a letter at PO Box 3055, Toms River, NJ 08756 with a transcript of what you were trying to say. I will return a typed transcript of what I would have said in reply. At that point you can either return a further transcript and we can carry on our conversation by paperwaves, or you may simply stop transmitting.

Because we each have a Ham License, or even if you do not have a license since this relaying of information will not be using actual radio frequencies, we will call it a meld of two seperate technologies and be at the forefront of the cutting edge of the future of radio as we know it now.

Good luck, hope to hear from you soon.

73, Jim - kc2jca

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Around Kalamazoo the repeaters are dead and simplex is very busy.  The repeaters are for weekly nets and thats about it.  Your setup sounds like a good one.   good luck.  allen  N8OKU

7. KJ4I

KJ4I Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a chat room on 147.020R with no tone or computer required and rely on it quite regular..

8. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KC2JCA @ Sep. 29 2002,05:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For those of you wishing even more fun, I will be monitoring 146.595 simplex for the next 25 years. For those of you who can not hear me, or who I can not hear, you can send me a letter at PO Box 3055, Toms River, NJ 08756 with a transcript of what you were trying to say. I will return a typed transcript of what I would have said in reply. At that point you can either return a further transcript and we can carry on our conversation by paperwaves, or you may simply stop transmitting.

Because we each have a Ham License, or even if you do not have a license since this relaying of information will not be using actual radio frequencies, we will call it a meld of two seperate technologies and be at the forefront of the cutting edge of the future of radio as we know it now.

73, Jim - kc2jca[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    At some point during our QSO, we may wish to QSY to Verizon, if the postal rates keep going up. The use of full duplex radio through Verizon or MCI will keep radio in the loop, and allow us to demonstrate our technical ability by carefully using the tone pad and correctly positioning the antenna for best results. Which is about what ham radio is coming to anyway, so we will be leading the pack. And besides, by doing this, we can increase the number of "hams" by perhaps a million-fold, almost instantly. Since we also have web browsing and text messaging, (which is like RTTY, right?) we can perhaps figure a way to hook a printer to the phone and print out the text of our QSO. It is true we may suffer some QSB as we go under metal buildings or into tunnels, or into more remote areas but "Can you hear me now?" will be our byword, and we should get by very well leading ham radio into the next step in its future.

Ed

9. KC9AZL

KC9AZL QRZ Member

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ag4rq @ Sep. 28 2002,06:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There are so many facets of this hobby and so many ways of having fun exclusively with radio, so why drag the Internet into it? As for being able to say things that are not fit for ham radio, that’s what CB is for. If you’re all on one repeater, then you’re probably all close enough take your profane QSO to CB.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I am good friend of Andy and regulary join the simplex group. The purpose of the chat room is for people who don't have a liscence or live to far for 2 meter simplex. There are a few no coders in the group who don't have HF priveleges.
    AG4RQ this is done on simplex and not repeaters and about cb I am probably the only person who has never done cb who is in the group.

The purpose of the group is too have fun without repeater politics.

Chris N9QS

10. KC9AZL

KC9AZL QRZ Member

One last note the pl tone is because Andy lives near a guy with an electric fence and the electric fence breaks the squelch on his radio.

11. KB3HIE

KB3HIE Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ag4rq @ Sep. 27 2002,07:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"For hams without HF privileges who are bored with repeater use, why not try something different? How about simplex FM? How about SSB? How about AM? Why not try some DXing on 6m? Satellite work? If you really need to use the computer with your radios, why not try PSK 31?"

From what I read, that is what they are doing. They are just using the internet chat room to talk about what modes and Freq. to try and use!

"There are so many facets of this hobby and so many ways of having fun exclusively with radio, so why drag the Internet into it? "

Well the internet is just another way to have fun with the radio in many ways!

"As for being able to say things that are not fit for ham radio, that’s what CB is for."

A profane QSO on ANY band is Illegal, but I know that was your chance to take a shot at 11meter people because you know you are better then all of them!

" If you’re all on one repeater, then you’re probably all close enough take your profane QSO to CB."

Just because they choose not to say something on the air does not mean that it has to be profane

"As for me, I use the radio for radio purposes and the Internet for Internet purposes. I see no need to use the Internet to talk to people that I can talk to on the radio"

I do believe you are talking to people on here that you could be talking to on the radio. Is this site not for ham's? Since you feel that the internet should not be used for radio purposes maybe you should not even be on this website?

Just a thought .... It always amazes me how people can be ham's but at the same time be so ignorant!

by the way that was not an insult just an observation![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

12. KB3HIE

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W5HTW @ Sep. 28 2002,09:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KC2JCA @ Sep. 29 2002,05:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For those of you wishing even more fun, I will be monitoring 146.595 simplex for the next 25 years. For those of you who can not hear me, or who I can not hear, you can send me a letter at PO Box 3055, Toms River, NJ 08756 with a transcript of what you were trying to say. I will return a typed transcript of what I would have said in reply. At that point you can either return a further transcript and we can carry on our conversation by paperwaves, or you may simply stop transmitting.

73, Jim - kc2jca[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    At some point during our QSO, we may wish to QSY to Verizon, if the postal rates keep going up.  The use of full duplex radio through Verizon or MCI will keep radio in the loop, and allow us to demonstrate our technical ability by carefully using the tone pad and correctly positioning the antenna for best results.  Which is about what ham radio is coming to anyway, so we will be leading the pack.  And besides, by doing this, we can increase the number of "hams" by perhaps a million-fold, almost instantly.  Since we also have web browsing and text messaging, (which is like RTTY, right?) we can perhaps figure a way to hook a printer to the phone and print out the text of our QSO.  It is true we may suffer some QSB as we go under metal buildings or into tunnels, or into more remote areas but "Can you hear me now?" will be our byword, and we should get by very well leading ham radio into the next step in its future.

Ed[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    [​IMG] Two more reasons for young people not wanting to become a ham.... Why would they want to talk and interact with people like this!

Imagine where our country would be if we where all like these two when it comes to trying something different:(

13. KB3HIE

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KC5CPO @ Sep. 26 2002,16:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just a quick question... How do you make sure unlicenced people don't check into your chat room?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I thought talking to NON HAM’S in an internet chat room was a good way to introduce NON HAM'S to the hobby!

14. KC2JCA

KC2JCA Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kb3hie @ Sep. 29 2002,14:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

[​IMG]  Two more reasons for young people not wanting to become a ham.... Why would they want to talk and interact with people like this!

Imagine where our country would be if we where all like these two when it comes to trying something different:(

[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Oh boo-hoo. Something new and different? Let's see, using simplex 2 meter whilst using a Yahoo chat room. Heaven forbid I shouldn't see the new and exciting possibilities that conjurs up to new hams.

What's next, being able to walk and chew gum?

But, I take your side, I say that any new young hams that are reading this thread and just don't see the humor in it should blame me immediately for their failing to get involved in Ham Radio.

Lord knows it would certainly cut down on the whining little snots who can't seem to tell a dit from a dah at 5 WPM.

73, Jim - kc2jca

15. KE6MGB

KE6MGB Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a nice idea, but unfortunately it makes it easier to those unlicensed people to get on the air. You could make it a private room, and then only those members in your club could talk via the internet link.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.