ad: AbAuRe-1

Amateur Radio a part Borrego Springs Parade Saturday

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KR1SS, Oct 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KR1SS

KR1SS Ham Member QRZ Page

For those of you in Southern California looking for something to do this Saturday, come on out to Borrego Springs for their Annual Borrego Days Parade and Festival.

In the Parade is our entry "Amateur Radio in Southern California" which will feature 7 antenna laden vehicles belonging to HAM's from the Fallbrook Amateur Radio Club, Amateur Radio Club of El Cajon, Ramona Outback Amateur Radio Society and Convair 220 as well as a HAM from the local Borrego Springs area.

We'll be holding a simplex "roll call" Net while rolling along the parade route..between announcers that is. Our frequency will be 146.550 Simplex FM. If you'd like, when we ask for additional check-ins, please, jump in and give us your call.

The script to be read by Parade Announcers is simple but to the point.

Look at all them Antenna’s!

In front of you are Amateur Radio Operators who are members of the Amateur Radio Club of El Cajon, Convair 220, Ramona Outback Amateur Radio Society and the Fallbrook Amateur Radio Club.

Sometimes called HAM Operators, Amateur Radio operators are able to communicate around the world. ALL are volunteers who take pride being able to help out their communities in time of need.

Following most disasters and even following the 9/11 Terrorist Attacks in New York City, HAMs across the globe have filled the resulting communications void.

During and after San Diego Wild Fires of 2003 and 2007, these Amateur Radio Operators helped provide communications from the fire lines, they also established radio communications links between communities in San Diego County’s back country after power and phone lines were destroyed in the fires.

For information on how to become an Amateur Radio Operator, visit www.arrl.org

2. KG6UTS

KG6UTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Good going guys!

Good one! We have an alt-QTH in Borrego Springs but I'm here at Camp Davis, Kandahar, Afghanistan...different desert but looks like Yuma. If you looked north from the Circle you could have seen the palm trees that hold up my 160 inverted L. My wife was there for Borrego Days so maybe got some pictures.

EdZ KG6UTS

3. KR1SS

KR1SS Ham Member QRZ Page

Parade "HAM" entry was a huge success!!

Ed, thanks for the info. If your wife has pictures of the HAM entry, I would appreciate a copy. They can be emailed to me at: quartzfest2011@yahoo.com

Update on the Parade...it was a fantastic event with good participation. We ended up with 10 HAM's in our Parade entry..and after the Roll Call in our 2 meter simplex Parade Net , we picked up 3 "additional" check in's who were watching the Parade along the route.

Krissy KR6SSY (From the Fallbrook ARC) performed our "Net Control" duties in fine fashion.

After the Parade, Linda and I fired up the grill on the back of our trailer and enjoyed a couple hours of Hot Dogs and eyeball QSO's.

In the Parade with us were members of the Amateur Radio Club of El Cajon, Ramona Outback Amateur Radio Society, Fallbrook Amateur Radio Club and Convair 220 as well as HAM's from Poway and Borrego Springs.

I want to thank all of the Amateur Radio Operators who came out to the desert to take part in the Parade with us. You served the HAM Radio Community well!

Steve KO4QT

4. KG6UTS

KG6UTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Borrego and Quartzfest too!

I'll see what pictures she has when I get home. Maybe next year I can set up some WWII radio gear along the way or at least in the Circle with the American Legion post. My friend Mike KA6PGN could set up too. Its fun to let kids have a QSO on a hand cranked radio. Quartzfest! Bonnie and I go to Quartzite for Tyson Wells etc, one of here major buys for her business so I get to run down to Quartzfest once in a while. Maybe we will see you there or the Desert Rats get together.
    73!!
    EdZ KG6UTS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.