ad: Retevis-1

AM Operators and Transmission Practices

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Aug 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

K2WH writes "Every now and then, I like to tune the 80-meter band to hear what’s going on and see if any DX is around 3.790 MHz. When I didn’t hear anything, I continued to tune around. On the evening of 08/02/01 I found a strong modulated AM signal with what can only be described as perfect audio.

The signal was from an amateur station in the state of New York. Since I had to do some office work, I decided to sit on the frequency and listen to the conversation while I was busy doing my work on the computer. I was surprised at how long the seemingly endless one-way conversation was going. I say one way because of the length of each transmission from each party in the QSO. I actually clocked one side at 4.2 minutes of continuous carrier with audio. No big deal. I said to myself, wannabee DJ’s. More power to them. They sounded fabulous.

However, I nearly fell out of my high back leather office chair in front of my large office desk with a glass top (nice desk), when I heard (this is for us older guys), the musical NBC three tone chimes when one station turned it over to the other station!

At first, I was shocked and then some nostalgia came over me and I said that was nice. Then I said wait a minute, isn’t that illegal? Looking at the rules I don’t think so unless you classify the three tones as music. I seem to recall that sound effects were illegal on the amateur frequencies but I am not sure anymore. Anyway, it did bring back memories of a bygone era. Oh by the way, I am not a frequency cop as some of you may start calling me.

However, what do you think of this. I'm all in favor of technical excellance but, aren't some of us forgetting we are amateurs and not professionals? Or do some of us think we are professional amateurs?

Are some hams going to far in their pursuit of mimicking a broadcast station? The rules specifically prohibit broadcasting of any type. I am not complaining about it and I am not bashing AM ops. I have to admit it was a nice touch. It certainly brought a smile to my face.

Bill
    K2WH"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.