ad: k1jek

All WX Solar Powered Field Station

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Nov 13, 2017 at 11:45 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for sharing Julian, very cool stuff. I got into QRP backpacking the last few years and love it.
    Also looking into more winter QRP overnights, just finished building pulk for this upcoming winter, can't wait!

If you have gotten set up for fully self-contained operations (comm equip, food, shelter, pack, etc), can you tell me what your approx pack weight is and for how many days out in the bush?
    The Lipo batts I use typically require a balanced charger, can you give details on the challenges, if any, on solar charging the LifePo's?

Thanks, always very informative vids.
    Mark / K6MTS

OH8STN likes this.
  2. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I like the tent but I didn't se a floor in it. If it rains how would you keep all your stuff dry? How are you going to sleep in the dirt. I would get a good mountaineering tent. Did you stay overnight and also test cooking, sleeping, moisture in the tent, etc in this test emergency situation?

You will need to first survive the emergency. Then be self sufficient enough with all the necessary equipment to live, cook and sleep, before you could help anyone with your radio.

3. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Mark
    Let's start with the battery since that's the easiest. I'm using lithium iron phosphate technology but I have used lithium-ion in the past as well. One thing that's different in my battery builds is the inclusion of a BMS board. The BMS or battery management system is actually balancing out the cells in the pack, making it possible to charge and discharge the pack, just like an AGM or lead acid battery. Here's my latest build, which is a 10Ah 128wh 4S1P with BMS. That's charged up using a constant-current constant voltage mppt charge controller from Genasun.

I don't know the total pack weight yet, but I'm reducing the weight of individual components all the time. Since last weekend was just few hours out on a trial basis, the pack weight that I had isn't really relevant. One thing I might add is like you, during the winter I'm using a ski pulk. During the summer I'll use a hiking trailer. Even without those two pieces of kit, I would still be able to hike with my loaded pack for x amount of kilometers or miles. The sled and trailer just allow me to travel further without the fatigue. Again I am reducing the weight of everything that can be reduced.
    On the first real Excursion which I think is going to be winter Field Day 2018, I'll measure and weigh each component individually and as a pack and come back to answer this question here or in my blog.

Julian oh8stn

4. OH8STN

Hi Lisa
    What you see is just the fly sheet. It wasn't raining or snowing so I saw no need to deploy the ground sheet or the inner tent. In this configuration the Nortent Tipi 6 is just a shelter.
    It's a modular design so it's possible to deploy just the fly sheet, or the fly sheet and the ground sheet, or the fly sheet and inner tent, or any combination of those. When the wood stove is in use the ground sheet splits to expose the ground and not damage the silnylon.
    I've had those good Expedition tents in the past, but it's much more difficult to put a wood stove inside then a traditional Scandinavian tipi.
    Thanks for the feedback
    Julian oh8stn
    Screenshot_2017-11-15-12-27-27-1.png

W3TWG and N6QIC like this.
  5. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's an all-weather field station for you (they really need that tipi - and a Codan manpack):

fin1.jpg

6. OH8STN

I missed your comment earlier and happened to catch it.
    You make the point perfectly!
    Any ham radio or ham radio club can put this kind of kit together, using what they have already. Especially the operator who finds him or herself in the disaster area.
    Thanks for your post, it's really awesome to see some operators actually actually get it.
    Big thanks :)
    Julian oh8stn

US7IGN likes this.
  7. OH8STN

Outstanding!
    Two sides of the same coin.
    Thanks for sharing your QRZ page. Pictures are amazing and it's awesome to see others operating from tents or improvised shelters.
    Will you participate in Winter Field Day this year?
    Julian oh8stn

8. QRZFAN2

QRZFAN2 QRZ Member

Videosbymike gave a nice 15% off bioenno batteries code in his video. Anyone know any coupon codes or a vendor for the 1,200 US dollar solar panel, that thing is so:eek: expensive. Appreciate all your info Julian! 73.

9. OH8STN

Absolutely great channel if you can't build something as simple as a battery by yourself.

10. QRZFAN2

QRZFAN2 QRZ Member

Hamradio360 has a recent podcast with bioenno manager for anyone interested in their technology and batt. chemistry unique to them.

OH8STN likes this.