ad: Radclub22-1

Alinco US Distribution

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WL7M, Jul 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K5TVW

K5TVW Ham Member QRZ Page

KK4CUL's paradoxical statement is quite true IMHO. While attending various Ham-Coms & conventions, I've spoken to reps of the big 3 makers. They all tell me the same story; not much interest for them in producing 220 equipment because it's a limited market. 220 being used only in the USA. What they do produce it limited in features, modes, and power output. Yes, there is Alinco and Jetstream, (bless them) and I have used them both. but, I'd like to see someone like Kenwood, or Yaesu produce a quality 220 multimode rig with some decent transmit power. Propagation experimentation can be quite fun, I'd love to try some 220 MHz SSB.

2. AD0DQ

AD0DQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

VX-8DR

I have the Yaesu VX-8DR and it has 220 capability. I also have the FTM-350, and it has 220 capability. The power output on the handheld is 5 and the power output on the FTM-350 is also 5 but it seems to have much better range than the handheld does.

I've talked on the handheld in Minneapolis, Indiana, Dayton, and Florida on 220. But other than Minneapolis, I didn't find a great deal of radio traffic on the 220 repeaters.

Recently I bought the Alinco DJ-G7 with the 2 meter/900 mhz and I have yet to speak to anyone on the 900 mhz band. But the 2 meter works great, and the radio seems really solid. My local dealer doesn't sell Alinco (I bought this one in Dayton). I like the radio and the build quality and agree with what's been said, but unless you're near a repeater that services the bands, I'm not sure what good it does you.

3. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you measured the power out? My VX-6R, rated 5W, puts out less than 4W measured. Maybe it's just mine, or maybe my Bird slug is out of calibration, I don't know.

4. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you George! My experience with Alinco's performance over the years has at least matched that of the other manufacturers and surpassed at least one in reliability!

73!
    NU4R

5. N0RCE

N0RCE Ham Member QRZ Page

I do have a Yeasu VR 6, but with only 1.5 watts on 220 I have a hard time getting in to any repeater, have one 15 miles from me but need a radio with more power or make a beam antenna.

Peter N0RCE

6. KG5UN

KG5UN Ham Member QRZ Page

I just want to put in a plug for REMTRONIX.
    I contacted Epi there and he was able to supply some much needed parts to help get my old DX-70T back on line. Very reasonable price and shipping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.