ad: UR5CDX-1

AA7BQ's State of the Site Address

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Feb 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Greetings loyal QRZ fans.

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone who's had the patience to stick with us while we have upgraded both our equipment and, more importantly, our software. There are a lot of comments floating about, some positive and some negative however most folks aren't aware of what has gone on behind the scenes so I thought I'd write a few things about it.

Let's start with the why part of the question. Why did we change our site's appearance and many of its functions? That's the easy part, it was performance. A lot of people were aware that the QRZ site had been getting very slow before the upgrade. We have been serving upwards of 200,000 pages per day from our site and the load on our server has been relentless. Last month we swapped out servers hoping to make things better but it didn't work. The new server became instantly overloaded just like the old one, despite the fact that it has three times the memory (1.5 gigabytes) installed.

I should have known better before I bought the new machine because during the day I'm a computer systems engineer. One of the first rules in performance tuning is that of all the different ways of improving performance, none are as effective as improving the program that the computer runs. A sloppy program can make even the biggest supercomputer come to its knees and ours was well beyond that point. The performance meter on our system was usually pegged at 100%, almost all the time. It was simply running as fast as it could and could do no better. It was time to bite the big bullet.

Changing our software isn't easy. Had I not bought the new server I couldn't have done it because I needed the old server to use as a test platform. Fortunately, it all worked out and after weeks of after-hours work it finally paid off. The measured performance on the new system is easily two times that of the old system. Response times (how long you wait for a page to return) has been significantly reduced, down from many seconds to almost instantaneous. Finally, there's room to breathe and grow.

The problems with the old system were many. To start with, it was built up from several different software packages, none of which were designed to coexist with each other. I spent hundreds of hours programming the old system, fixing this, patching that, and generally using a crowbar to make things work that weren't designed to do the job. Eventually it just became a huge hairball of programming code. Every single page that the system presented required the startup and shutdown of half a dozen programs - just to display the home page! It was no wonder that our server was choking on it all.

The old system was composed of the callsign database, the main page generating code (Slashdot), and a crappy piece of Forum software called WWWThreads. Sure, there was some nice visual effects to it all, but, the server was groaning just to keep it all running - or almost running.

Today, we have a completely new approach. Basically, QRZ is composed of two major sections, the Forum (where you're reading this article now), and the custom QRZ software that provides everything else. Except for the forum, I've created every line of software that runs the site. That includes the callsign database, the biographies, the pictures, information files, everything. Fortunately, most of that part of the code was still in good shape and remains in operation today.

So much for the technical side of things. There were some other reasons to change. The second big reason was feature enhancement. Now I know that a lot of folks were satisfied by the features we had before and that some a bit put off by all the new buttons, menus and options the new system provides. Fortunately, most of the new features won't get in your way if you choose to ignore them or wait until you become more comfortable before trying them out.

Next, I'd like to address a few of the questions that have been coming in about the new system:

[*]Why isn't there a button to Login on the home page?
    Well, stated simply, the new site de-emphasizes logins. If you reach a point in the system where login is required, the system will let you know. There's no reason to login unnecessarily.

[*]I miss the UTC time display that used to be on the home page.
    Removing the time display was done to speed up performance. It's basically one less program we have to run to pull up the home page.

[*]The system no longer displays my callsign or login name on the home page.
    Same reason as before - not needed and wastes computer cycles. The home page doesn't care if you're logged in or not. The Forum, however, does display your callsign/name and the UTC time.

[*]I can't find the Preferences menu so I can change my password.
    This is located in the Forum, and is called Your Control Panel.

[*]I hate Frames. Why did you put Frames on the new site?
    The short answer is that the main menu stuff doesn't change as you go from page to page. Since that's the case it doesn't make sense to reload it every time you change pages. It lightens the server load to leave it in its own separate frame.

[*]The new site doesn't fit on my 600x800 / 14 inch monitor. I have to scroll a lot.
    We're really sorry about that, but, we just have a lot of information to display. You may want to look into getting a bigger monitor and/or upgrade your display card. (The site looks fine on my laptop computer with its modest 1024x1280 display)

[*]I like the site but some of the fonts are too small, making it hard for me to read.
    Fortunately, we have a solution for this. There are Control Panel options called "skins" that allow us to choose from several available overall size options. I haven't had the time to work on all of these but I'll be getting to it soon. Be forewarned, however, that when the font size increases, so does the overall width of the page. You'll definately do a lot more scrolling if you choose a large font option.

In closing, I'd just like to say that while the site is up and running, there are still a few little kinks and bugs here and there, pages not found, things not working correctly, etc.. I'm working on these things one-by-one as they come in and over the next couple of weeks we should get most of them weeded out.

Thanks for your patience and support,

-fred

2. N4MC

N4MC Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred -

I like the new look and the performance boost. Nice job.

Michael - N4MC
    Vanity HQ

3. K5MAR

K5MAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Frankly, I'll take the old look, slow speed and all.  My niece would think the new look is "cute", but then, she's 14 years old.

4. W5ETM

W5ETM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

good job Fred

5. KC6SOR

KC6SOR Ham Member QRZ Page

Having just read the complete run-down of the sites' re-design, I think that we are lucky to have someone who
    is willing to commit time and other resources to our hobby. As users, I think that we should get past any
    missgivings about the way things were or how they now aren't, and simply GET OVER IT !!! Use this site for its
    functions, and utility, and enjoy its features...enough said...73

6. KE4PJW

KE4PJW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey Fred,
    There should be no performance hit by using static HTML for the evil frame to our left. [​IMG]

But then again, I'm not the guy who has to program all this stuff [​IMG]

Thanks for all your hard work!! It looks nice.

Terry

7. W6FAM

W6FAM QRZ Member QRZ Page

Great job, Fred.  Just ignore all those who complain about it.

Thanks!

Jack   [​IMG]

8. AB9BC

AB9BC Ham Member QRZ Page

Good job....Pete [​IMG]

9. W8TVI

W8TVI Ham Member QRZ Page

I really think that the frames should be off when you’re viewing the forums, or at least give the user the option of a frames or not frames version of the site.

It shouldn't be too hard to have the server generate a non-frame version of the main page based on the users preference.

And I would not sugjest you doing what W6FAM said "ignore all those who complain about it."
    Thats a real good way to loose users. Unless thats what your trying to do [​IMG]

Noel

10. WA8SWV

WA8SWV Guest

Fred :.... Looks great really appreciate all your work...Bud [​IMG]

11. KC0KJF

KC0KJF Ham Member QRZ Page

GREAT JOB !!! no matter what you do nothing satisfies all the people , change to some is bad . I think the new theme and speed that it loads is Fantastic .

12. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great stuff.  But Fred, if QRZ was having such a performance issue, maybe you should have asked your employers to see if you could have gotten something like an E6500 to run QRZ...  Sun is in a giving mood these days, they even gave us a few free Ultra 5's with a recent E10K order we placed ;-) (no these were not meant to be SSP's).

73's
    Ryan AB2MH.

13. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (w8tvi @ Feb. 01 2002,15:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I really think that the frames should be off when you’re viewing the forums, or at least give the user the option of a frames or not frames version of the site.

It shouldn't be too hard to have the server generate a non-frame version of the main page based on the users preference.

And I would not sugjest you doing what W6FAM said "ignore all those who complain about it."
    Thats a real good way to loose users.  Unless thats what your trying to do  [​IMG]

Noel[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Loose users?..your kidding right? The time and effort that the guys have done with the new and old site is un mesurable, not to mention that it is free. the fact remains that there are just alot of people that do not accept change, i happen to like the new look and the performance, it is welcomed.

I myself had some small input to the site and the changes made sence and were done, i think it is a hell of a job. I am just sorry i didnt have more to do with it.

This site is a godsent, the databases alone are worth more then i can dream, so if you dont like the feel and the look, i am sure you wont need this site and will not be back. This will reduce the strain on the servers even more.

But the simple fact remains, if you choose to leave then someone will gladly take your place.

14. N6AJR

N6AJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just want to say thanks for a great job, and appreciate the changes.. tom  N6AJR

15. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kb9ylw @ Feb. 01 2002,17[​IMG])</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also, Many people have systems (especially laptops) with screens smaller than 1024 x 768 pixels.  Advising people to upgrade their monitors is facile, and demonstrates a lack of understanding of the philosophy behind HTML and the Web. - Andy KB9YLW[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    This is the kind of thinking that makes me laugh. Why must everything be tuned down to the lowest common denominator? What is the excuse now? The hardware is cheap & the fact is the site is still usable on smaller displays. It is 2002 not 1982. If you aren't running at least 1024X768 by now, you're living in the 80's. It is time to exit the time warp people! Besides Andy, just who are you to judge anyone's understanding of the philosophy behind anything but a $1 camera?

I see the complaining will be endless. Much like ham radio itself, advancements are stiffled by those who refuse to change their outdated thinking.

Fred should be thanked for putting up this new site instead of just selling the old one & walking away. I personally would have. I admire him for being able to program what is needed for running this site so we all have a place to enjoy! When something is free, it always seems to be a magnet for endless criticism from those who offer nothing but... [​IMG]

Thank you Fred for making the change. Too bad some would love to turn back time & live in the past with spark gap. I am amazed they even have a computer at all! [​IMG]

RM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.