ad: wmr-1

A Short History Of US Amateur Radio License Fees

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N2EY, Aug 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

So, the decline in Novices were the main cause of that dip...as I already mentioned.

When the code requirement was dropped, the Techs apparently took off.

Correct if that is not fact. Thanks.

Chip W1YW

2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Once again, we see that it is much more important to go back decades, to try to catch Chip in an error, no matter how trivial, then it is to come to understanding and concensus on the regulatory issues that will make or break Amateur Radio for decades to come. :rolleyes:

WZ7U likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ron,

Bernie really dislikes me apparently. Can't please everyone.

Amusingly, I was well aware of the '2005' post but read the date wrong when I originally posted (saw 2000 instead of 2005). I am having occasional eye problems but have not ventured far from the house much since March... need better reading glasses. So I read/type things wrong on occasion; s&&s to be old in the age of COVID. Doc appointments, barber, dentist, etc. put off.

Learned to be my own barber, but that is the extent of acquired COVID talents....

I think you should point out (link?) your excellent(IMO) NPRM posting response, to give some a perspective on a useful way for the FCC to structure the application fees.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  4. VP4APPS

VP4APPS QRZ Member

For what its worth, I think US has been experiencing continuous urbanization (up till Covid).
    ARRL and overall 'elmer' networks and forums do not quite cover what I believe are 'newcomer' trends

a) my HOA does not allow an antenna
    b) my only option is a hot-spot + DMR
    c) I like an option of pictures (not just voice)
    d) I like vox and 'man-down' voice safety devices (that connect me to my family some miles away), when I take a run in local park

5. N1URO

N1URO Ham Member QRZ Page

If there's going to be fees we must PAY then I suggest the following modifications be made as well:
    - Part 97 be changed so that hams MAY charge for on-air services to get a chance for (partial) reimbursement of the license fees.
    - All classes be eliminated since hams would be PAYING for air-wave usage, which is free for those who use 11-meters (thus proving this is discrimination)

These conditions would help offset licensing "fees" of an extraordinary amount compared to 11-meter fees (or lack there of) while giving the ham more motivation to provide ecomm services. Local governments supply budgets for EOCs but for the individual ham 100% of the costs typically comes out of their own pocket. </$0.02>

6. AJ6BC

AJ6BC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello All - I want to make sure all are aware - and spread the word please: ( -> details here: https://www.arrl.org/what-to-bring-to-an-exam-session )

From the ARRL: (If you're not a VE yet - please consider becoming one - it's a great and rewarding way to volunteer!):

Candidates younger than 18-years old will pay a reduced exam session fee of $5 to the ARRL VEC VE team when taking an exam. Proper identification must be presented to and verified by the team, per the procedures for all exam candidates (what to bring to an exam session). Test Report displaying the youth fee information is available. An interactive version of the report is also offered.

Additionally, ARRL will cover the one-time $35 application fee for new license candidates younger than 18-years old for tests administered under the ARRL VEC. The $35 FCC application fee will be reimbursed after the ARRL receives the completed grant reimbursement form and the new license has been issued by the FCC. The reimbursement check will be mailed to the fee payer listed on the form.

Again - spread the word!

73's,
    John
    AJ6BC