ad: cq2k-1

A Short History Of US Amateur Radio License Fees

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N2EY, Aug 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W4BUZ

W4BUZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Call it a fee or tax it does not matter how you word it.
    What do we get for this fee/tax ?
    Absolutely nothing, there is no enforcement period.

KE0WRU likes this.
  2. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

But thats not necessarily a good thing. You do have hams who are dormant for 10, 20 or 30 years who return to the hobby and are great operators. Their dormancy is maintained because the license incurs no fee. I am sure a goodly number of hams who are dormant will see the $50.00 as an annoyance and won't renew - never to return. There is also the issue of appearing to be a dying service to those who want to take spectrum for us. If headcount goes from 775,000 to 550,000, its not a good image for our service.

KE0WRU, KE4ITL, N9EAW and 1 other person like this.
  3. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a table showing headcount from mid 1997 to early 2019 (the last month for with AH0A has posted data).

upload_2020-9-6_13-17-32.png

4. WB9YTG

WB9YTG Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if the FCC has ever considered outsourcing amateur licensing? Perhaps, the ARRL?

5. W4XA

W4XA Ham Member QRZ Page

If you read the actual NPRM, you'll find that the suggested fee structure is for administrative costs. They don't say it recovers costs of enforcement, nor should it. When they do actual enforcement, they have a fine structure which could be used for that. ($10,000 per day for each offense etc....)

6. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

New chart which includes 2020 and 2019 data

upload_2020-9-6_13-52-53.png

7. W4XA

W4XA Ham Member QRZ Page

But it would be accurate.

8. WB9YTG

WB9YTG Ham Member QRZ Page

I’d wager less than half are active

9. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

I would agree with that. I proposed a method for assessing activity levels - a combination of ARRL membership count, CQ subscription count, and QRZ.com activity levels - that put the figure at about 250,000.

10. W5WN

W5WN QRZ Lifetime Member #379 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That is considered an inherently government function and is not allowed.
    According to Federal Acquisition Regulations, https://www.acquisition.gov/far/7.503. See Part 7, Subpart 7.5, Section 7.503, (c) (15), The approval of Federal licensing actions and inspections.

WB9YTG likes this.
  11. WM4RT

WM4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I can see a fee to process applications. Maybe $5 to $10 for ham operator since everything is done my computers. But I can not see a $50 fee to help fund the Ray Baum's Act of 2018 which is about improving 911 and also provide a pay raise for some body or any end of year bonuses. Here one thing on Ray Baum's Act https://www.fcc.gov/mlts-911-requirements. Do more research on Ray Baum's Act of 2018. It seem it has to with improving 911. Here is another document please read it I hope you can understanding it. https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-20-116A1.pdf

N9EAW likes this.
  12. W5WN

In usual FCC form, they don't present a cost analysis for what the actual administrative cost of providing the licensing service for Amateur Radio. I've repeatedly looked and have never been able to find a valid cost analysis.

KE0WRU, N9EAW and K7JEM like this.
  13. W4BUZ

W4BUZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I disagree, it should cover enforcement. Enforcement has been non existant since Riley left.
    Suggested administrative cost ? Really ? I`m glad you believe everything they say.........

KE0WRU likes this.
  14. K0HB

K0HB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

$5.00 per year. Price of a couple PL259 connectors.

Yawn!

AE8W, KR3DX, WA5VGO and 2 others like this.
  15. W5WN

Why charge it at all? They haven't provided a credible cost analysis for their claim that it is to provide for administrative costs. It's their claim. Put up or shut up. They haven't proven a need for that amount of "administrative fee". They are not a profit making organization and can't just charge fees without justification

WZ7U, AD5IN, KE0WRU and 3 others like this.