A new way to compare HF antennas

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G3CWI, Jan 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. N5EIT

N5EIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool... I'll probably buy one. It'll be neat to compare my field expedient antennas in a different way and give me something to play with. That's the great thing about this HOBBY, there is something for everyone's interest. There's always the 10% of haters... It's cool to look at the data in a different way. In the real world everyone doesn't have a great antenna anyway. They use what they have.

Using the spectrum is what keeps our privileges from being raped by special interests.

It's the same thing with contesting. Use of the spectrum... I like contesting but your signal reports are hardly accurate in contests or even in many casual qso's. This is more accurate than some dude that just wants a contact and spits out a 599 rst in a crazed dash for a piece of paper or qso verification.

It's a shame, but TRUE!!! I'm not whining... simply stating facts... I love this hobby, everyone, and everything in it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No whiners here. On the contrary: there are no NEW ways of doing differential measurements of antennas. That is good news, as it means that if properly implemented, this is a valuable tool. Please see my initial post.

Chip W1YW

3. N5EIT

N5EIT Ham Member QRZ Page

W1YW
    Really neat fractal antennas. That's interesting stuff. I've seen your antennas in use... Cool

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you.

I actually am very supportive of antennas in the amateur arena, as with this OP. I will be buying at least one unit myself.

Sorry my comments were taken in the negative by some.

Chip W1YW

5. M6THQ

M6THQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've used mine for the last 6 weeks and it's very interesting to see how an antenna performs on one band, while I am OTA elsewhere. Great bit of kit and very affordable.

6. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

K5FAB has the RIGHT IDEA in our estimation, in that on occasion we can call CQ until we're "Blue-in-the-face" and KNOW the band (s) are open BUT NOBODY IS LISTENING or are too LAZY TO REPLY!!! BUT WE HAMS ARE "ALWAYS OPTIMISTIC" AREN'T WE !!!

PREFACE: How would I know that any one band was open? BY LISTENING TO THE NCDXF BEACONS GLOBALLY!!!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  7. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No whingers, whiners or nitpickers here! Only factual discussions relevant to the topic. I have not disparaged the product at all. Just want people to understand it's abilities and limitations.

K8PG likes this.
  8. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here.

The female ops around my neck of the woods get tons of contacts, though.

I suspect it's partly a gender issue.

One of my Korean op friends bought a Berhinger Virtualizer to change his voice to female, for more contacts.

9. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

works for the stars