ad: cq2k-1

A History of the Ham Shack — Ham Radio Perspectives

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Aug 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks so much, Jwahar. Q

2. K8QS

Nice shack! Q

3. KY4N

KY4N Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video. With my 56 years of ham radio I can identify with a few of those shacks.

4. K8QS

Thanks so much, Jack. Sorry you had to cancel the hamvention. You all do a masterful job -- a real service to the hobby. Quin, K8QS

5. K8QS

Steve, I think we can all identify with some of them. Our shacks evolve according to personal circumstances, equipment, and "imitation" (we tend to imitate others' shacks that we like). There is an "art" to shacking. 73, Quin, K8QS

6. K4RHS

K4RHS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Shack 1.jpg

PY2NEA likes this.
  7. K8QS

Dandy shack, Ray. Lots of stuff in little space. Quin, K8QS

8. WA9CWX

WA9CWX Ham Member QRZ Page

Fun video, but you never mentioned the first 'shacks' were just that. Wooden boxes on ships where the ops ate, slept and keyed the LOUD spark rigs. No convenient 'room' inside... Even on the Atlantic in winter. On Deck, freezing, wet, and being polite to all the passengers who wanted to tell the folks back home how nice it was in the lounge on the ocean in minus 10 degree weather. Wasn't for a few more years before the wireless room was moved inside. And yes, George up on Washington Island, great visit, only asked him one question, two hours (2!!) later, as he was just getting to the finish, his wife came in and asked us to move our car for some arriving guests. Among his many rooms, is one devoted to Collins, including the original SAC gear ordered by Curtis L.

KA0HCP likes this.
  9. K8QS

Thanks for checking in from Beloit, Frank. We are doing some research on the pre-wireless-room situation. Very interesting stuff. Quin, K8QS

10. K8QS

Thanks so much, Dave. Check out our new video on ham radio pranks. If you don't laugh I'll give you your money back. ;}
    Quin, K8QS

11. W9WLW

W9WLW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the great video. DE W9WLW

12. VK4SDD

VK4SDD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Guys lost me with he is continuously waving!!!:(

13. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

I think most ham shacks are not planned; they just "evolve" and change constantly. Since most of my equipment is home-brew, I'm always taking things apart and changing circuitry. So my "shack" has to be kept simple to make everything easily available. The picture is some home brew QRP equipment.

Attached Files:

WD4ELG likes this.
  14. DJ0IP

DJ0IP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Quin,

The boy in the basement had a Heathkit AR-3 from the late 50's and early 60's. It was a 5-tube superhet, not a regenerative RX. It was also my first receiver, which I got as a kit for Christmas in 1959 and completed assembling in late January of 1960. I bought the matching Q-Multiplier after I got my Novice in 1962. You wouldn't have an external Q-Multiplier in a Regen RX.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP

15. WD8CRT

WD8CRT Ham Member QRZ Page