ad: CQMM-1

A Ham's Night Before Christmas

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Dec 5, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W4RXK

W4RXK Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you. This is my first time seeing it - wonderful!

2. W4TOL

W4TOL Ham Member QRZ Page

Great! Enjoyed the poem made for ham radio! Thanks for sharing.
    Merry Christmas, 73's
    Stephen W4TOL

3. KO4SGO

KO4SGO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for sharing...I'm going to share with my Ham Radio Club. Nancy KO4SGO

4. W7TRD

W7TRD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Cool!
    Merry Christmas!!

5. KF6JS

KF6JS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

VERY well done! My first hearing....SO COOL! Tnx-n-73's

6. WJ2L

WJ2L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Santa as a ham. Great thought every year. May need to be updated to include FT8 and such. All the same. Amusing uplift always.

7. AE8F

AE8F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the Christmas cheer!

Pat AE8F

K4AAQ likes this.
  8. N6AQ

N6AQ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That was great, thank you for sharing!

K4AAQ likes this.
  9. KD6FOZ

KD6FOZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice! I hope everyone has a ham-tastic 2023!

K4AAQ likes this.
  10. WW4FL

WW4FL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a variation I’ve saved in the notes on my cell phone and share it every year to social media. Not that many will read and enjoy it but I do. Thank you for this video! Happy new year and 73 de Jesse - WW4FL

11. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you!

I updated it twice, once when the Tech Plus license was dropped, and again to add Elecraft, TEN TEC, and Flex to the list of possible radios in the big box. I thought long and hard before naming Collins as the ultimate station. It had that reputation for a long time, and kept me from having to choose among the current manufacturers. Apparently, the spirit of the poem kept anyone from complaining about my choice.

The poem is approaching 30 years old, and I don't think there will be any more updates. It will live in fame or infamy as its own little slice of ham radio lore.

"Mom put on her headphones, I plugged in the keyboard,

And we tuned 40 m until the computer display registered a signal that was below the acoustic threshold, then automatically called, logged and confirmed the contact on LoTW and QRZ."

OK, I tried!

12. WJ2L

WJ2L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You did great.

13. NE0S

NE0S QRZ Lifetime Member #418 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

With peace as the goal, this works! I am Jewish and love it. I celebrate Christmas and the season for many months every year. Otherwise, it is all too fast. I'll take your offer and keep this in my bag of presents to share and keep the spirit going. 73, phil NE0S

K4AAQ likes this.
  14. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

QSL, Phil.

I'm not religious, so for me the poem comes from the secular side of the holiday. Everyone is welcome to interpret the message in their own way.

I did think of the 'Happy Holidays' vs 'Merry Christmas' debate. I lean toward the inclusive message of Happy Holidays, but that wasn't going to work with the original poem. It doesn't seem to have generated any controversy.