ad: AbAuRe-1

65 Years of Ham Radio Innovation: Tom Taormina K5RC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, May 22, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W1DED_107_K5RC_Thumbnail02.jpg
    In mid-June 2024, Tom Taormina K5RC will celebrate 65 years as a licensed amateur radio operator. Over the decades, Tom has built and rebuilt stations at the cutting edge of performance. He was a competitive contester who earned the top spot in the ARRL Sweepstakes. Tom and his buddy K5LZO innovated a lockout "octopus" that enabled them to operate two radios at once until the ARRL banned the process. He was instrumental in creating the North American QSO Party (NAQP), achieved #1 DXCC Honor Roll with 374 countries logged, and was inducted into the CQ Contest Hall of Fame. Along with his friend Grady W5FU, Tom built the Nevada superstation W7RN and hosted a long list of elite, competitive operators. Join me in this conversation with Tom as he recounts his extraordinary ham radio career and achievements.

W5JON, KF2ZZ, YG3CBP and 13 others like this.
  2. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations on 65 years. I'm bad with names and good with callsigns, and this guy is one of the few I recognize by name and not callsign!

HB9EPC, YG3CBP, YD1CFC and 3 others like this.
  3. NW6P

NW6P Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoyed your QRZ interview.

YG3CBP, HB9EPC and W1DED like this.
  4. W6RKC

W6RKC Ham Member QRZ Page

61 years on the air for me this July. Thanks for letting Tom rekindle so many memories from that time long ago in a place far away! I enjoy your interviewing style, nicely done.

VK5AAX, HB9EPC, N4FZ and 2 others like this.
  5. VU2JO

VU2JO Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice! I am just a quarter century behind! 73

HB9EPC, N4FZ and W1DED like this.
  6. K5MV

K5MV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice job on the interview. Tom brought back many memories from many years ago. Great to see and hear Toms voice again.

HB9EPC, N4FZ, K5MPH and 2 others like this.
  7. K3LUE

K3LUE Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice article. Well done and covering many topics I can relate to. I turned 64 years in the hobby April of this year, 2024. Lots of memories, lots of modes, technology changes and lots of hours with the rigs. For the fun of it, I decided it was time for my Extra class so I crammed for 2 weeks and got over the hurdle. I like the extra bandspace in "no man's land" as I used to call it but as far as a vanity call, K3LUE has been with me since 1960..(with a few months as KN3LUE of course at age 12). Enjoy hearing from other old guys in the hobby. Wouldn't change a thing as I bet Tom would feel the same. 73 and GL...Ron K3LUE

HB9EPC, N4FZ, VU2JO and 1 other person like this.
  8. K5MPH

K5MPH Ham Member QRZ Page

Great stuff this is what ham radio is about.......

HB9EPC, N4FZ and VU2JO like this.
  9. W5RF

W5RF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well deserved kudos... from Bob W5RF (ex WA5CLA - in the Rio Grande Valley - 1962-1969).. I am following your lead... this year is number 60 for me as a ham...My high school elmers were K5TSR Beau May - electrocuted.. thus the radio club memorial station.. KenQuin K5TSQ, passed, Billy Parry W5VX, recently passed... We are the survivors so far..73s brother...

HB9EPC, VU2JO and W1DED like this.
  10. K6HPX

K6HPX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats, Tom! 69 years for me; still enjoying the heavy-duty mast you sold me for a new station in Tucson; that was about 22 years ago. All Best, Ken , K6HPX

HB9EPC, VU2JO and W1DED like this.
  11. K9FN

K9FN Ham Member QRZ Page

I am especially grateful to T0m for making it possible for W1YL to remain active via W7RN during her final years. Ellen White was one of the most wonderful people I ever met during my 67 years in this marvelous hobby and It was fun saying hello to her on 40 meters in the mornings when she was not working JA after JA from her small apartment in FL thanks to Tom.

HB9EPC, VU2JO, W1DED and 1 other person like this.
  12. KD2BBC

KD2BBC QRZ Lifetime Member #587 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

CONGRAUTLATIONS !!! @K5RC TOM 73 KEEP GOING FOR MORE AND GOOD LUCK :p

HB9EPC, W1DED and VU2JO like this.
  13. K7TDM

K7TDM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great interview. Congrats Tom.

HB9EPC and W1DED like this.
  14. WA3YDC

WA3YDC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats, Tom. I'm at 50 years this month. Also, I was in Taormina Sicily last week.... beautiful place!!! de WA3YDC.

HB9EPC, W1DED and VU2JO like this.
  15. N4DME

N4DME Ham Member QRZ Page

CONGRADS FOR ANOTHER 65 YEARS... MY FAMILY OF HAMS , AA4QS, N4DME, WX4GA, N4IFR, KO4FXK

W1DED likes this.