ad: LZQSLprint-1

$25 dollar computer with ARM11 processor and HDMI

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W9GB, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W9GB

W9GB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

$25 dollar computer has ARM11 processor and HDMI
    13 May 2011

The Raspberry Pi Foundation Foundation has set itself the target of promoting education in computer science and related subjects, as well as bring back the fun in working with computers.
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/

The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a UK registered charity (Registration Number 1129409) which exists to promote the study of computer science and related topics, especially at school level, and to put the fun back into learning computing.

To make this possible and to ensure that computers are accessible to everyone, the Raspberry Pi Foundation developed an ultra-low-cost computer allowing pupils to easily learn about programming. Of course the computer can have many other uses. The computer is expected to cost only $ 25 when mass produced.

The little computer system is about the size of a USB stick and includes USB and HDMI connectors allowing a TV and a keyboard to be connected straight away. SD/MMC card connectors are also available. The computing power is supplied by an ARM11 microprocessor running at 700 MHz. 128 MB SDRAM memory is available. The HDMI output is capable of driving a full HD display with 1080p30 resolution.

Ubuntu Linux is the suggested operating system.

Provisional specification:

700MHz ARM11
    128MB of SDRAM
    OpenGL ES 2.0
    1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode
    Composite and HDMI video output
    USB 2.0
    SD/MMC/SDIO memory card slot
    General-purpose I/O
    Open software (Ubuntu, Iceweasel, KOffice, Python)

The attached picture shows the ease of connecting a 12 Mpixel camera module on top of the computer board.

====
    This should work with FunCube for the ultimate small RF/computing platform !

w9gb

Attached Files:

2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder if it would run Android? Even with Linux, I think I can see a number of applications for it.

3. KD5OEI

KD5OEI Guest

What's next, a computer in every doorknob? OOPS.. forgot to swipe my hotel room key.

I think it's a great idea. The display and keyboard costs will be substantial and need to be worked out. It could be helped by sharing the peripherals in very poor regions where the overall concept of "personal" computer is not so strong.

How will this compete with, or augment, the $100 PC concept that's been floating around for a while? That machine does have its own keyboard and display, but not half the "motherboard" features shown here.

4. NN5AA

NN5AA Ham Member QRZ Page

I picked up the following machine on an auction in perfect operating condition for $ 24.70, tax & shipping included. Standard keyboard, mouse, and monitor will work with it, most of which are being thrown out on the curb quite frequently for the last couple of years,have been able to 'recover' many of those items myself for zero cost. Think it would probably hold its' own against that ARM gadget.:D

IBM eServer Xseries 345 2.666GHz(2) 1GB-RAM 36GB-HD(3)

Dual multi-threading cpus, 1 GB ram, and 108GB total available on the 3 hard drives. This is one of my slower machines.

There are many corporations that could take advantage of tax code to donate these, literally by the 10's of thousands if not more, and would probably recoup more than what they are getting thru the hawkers and auction resellers. 73, NN5AA

NN5AA--Vince

A 100% Fully Functioning Boat Anchor

Arkansas--The Natural State--Land of Diamonds, Floods, & Tornadoes

5. N1XRR

N1XRR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure, the computer you're talking about will run CIRCLES around this little one...but can you put you're computer in the wall to manage a touch screen HVAC/Home automation system? Or can it be mounted on the back of a monitor for a low-power, compact modern office environment? Can you guarantee you will be able to get that EXACTLY model/configuration for production use for 5-10 years? Could one of the software-defined radio companies put your computer in a small radio with a touch screen display to make a stand alone radio?

My point is: This computer isn't geared to the average consumer, it's geared to integrators/engineers, corporate entities and home-brew guys who want a compact computer with a decent amount of power (you'd be surprised what 700mhz and 128mb of ram can do in an embedded application).

6. M3KXZ

M3KXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope, it's not geared to "integrators/engineers" or "corporate entities" at all. It is geared toward, and developed primarily for, education in schools, for school children. But, it does indeed have lot of potential for other projects.

7. NN5AA

NN5AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Mike, your point is well made. Sledgehammer vs miniature ball peen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.